Le Tour | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Le Tour

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Anyone else excited for the top sports event of the year, or is it just me? Only a week until it starts.

Today's news is that Chris Froome not selected Israel-Premier Tech for the squad: they're looking for stage winners rather than a GC contender. Not that he was ever in with a chance: he's been a shadow of the 4 times winner for several years now

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
I love watching Le Tour but reckon The Giro is harder due to weather conditions in Italy when it's run.
Is Pidcock in it this year 🤔

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Yes, count me in. I have it on permanent Series Record and always watch at least some of every stage, including each finish, of course. I follow the race quite closely but there's no doubt that I also watch it partly for the scenery, which is often just gorgeous!

There's a nice piece in today's Observer about the coming battle between Pogacar and Vingegaard. Then there's the fascinating subplot regarding whether Mark Cavendish, now 38 and due to retire at the end of the season, can beat Eddy Merckx outright and take the all-time record 36th stage win. How about another sprint win on the Champs-Élysées to nick it at the last gasp? That would be very Cav.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021
Always enjoy watching. It’s probably the toughest sporting event. Also like the scenery. Will be cheering on Cav. Hope he can do it!

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
I would have thought Simon would have outsprinted his brother but he said he cramped up in the last km. Surely theres never been a 1-2 with twin brothers 🤔
What a fantastic 1st stage.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Yesterday's stage was also compelling viewing. It was a great jump over the pack by Victor Lafay to sprint to the win, judged to perfection. Until he crossed the line I hadn't realised it had been 15 years since Cofidis last won a stage...

Crossing from Spain into France today.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Got a feeling today's stage is going to be a bit of a procession to the line. No breakaway: everyone (bar the sprinters) saving themselves for the start of the mountains tomorrow.

Nov 18, 2011
Got a feeling today's stage is going to be a bit of a procession to the line. No breakaway: everyone (bar the sprinters) saving themselves for the start of the mountains tomorrow.
Yesterday was pretty processional as well. At least there were some KOM points available for Powless to grab which isn't the case today.

With 2 exciting stages to start with and the Pyrenees on day 5 it was always going to be case that these were rolling rest days for everyone aside from the sprinters.

Reactions: Quinny

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Superb first stage in the Pyrenees. Great attack by Jai Hindley (winner of the Giro last year) on the final climb to win the stage in his first TdF, and a brilliant ride by Vingegaard to put on over on Pogacar in the battle of the favourites. Yates ride in Yellow was fun while it lasted...

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
What a fantastic stage. Vingegaard and Jumbo-Visma thought they could break Pogacar today, and attacked on the Tourmalet ... only for Pogacar to stick with him all the way to the final climb, and then with just over a kilometre to go Pogacar got a jump on Vingegaard to win the stage by 22 seconds. And pick up a time bonus too.

Vingegaard will be in Yellow tonight, but I think Pogacar would have rattled them big time after that ride.

Reactions: German Shepherd

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
I hope Vingegaard doesn't blow everyone out of the water. He's looking ominous at the moment.
Looks like I got my wish 😀Have you noticed what a great sportsman Pogacar is , he always goes & congratulates the stage winner & went over to Vingegaard yesterday. He rides with a smile on his face & comes over as a top bloke.

Reactions: Quinny