Just noticed no diagouragia for fleetwood | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Just noticed no diagouragia for fleetwood

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Argyle-sy":3loc36de said:
Pogleswoody":3loc36de said:
Argyle-sy":3loc36de said:
Daz":3loc36de said:
mervyn":3loc36de said:
Why the schadenfreude? He did a great job for us and moved for family reasons. Pathetic posts.

Nobody doubts that, however he was on the scrap heap struggling for a club when we came along and gave him a life line to help him and his family. He played well for us which coincided with an upturn in the whole teams performances and then he moved on as soon as he could. It would be rather ironic if he was not able to get back in their team that he would have made a bad decision for himself and his family.

He was largely credited for our upturn in form, but it’s since been shown that it wasn’t all down to him. He could have been a legend here, but left for short term gain.

I said the same and got crucified for it Daz. My opinion is Toums should have stayed until the end of the season then looked at his options. If we were to go up and Toums had stayed he might have been looking at a wage increase given how integral a part of the team he had became. Can't blame him for wanting to be closer to his family but same as you I feel he could have shown a bit of class to DA and the team given that we got him fit and playing again. Wonder if looking back now he wishes he had given it to the endvof the season before looking at his options.

I've worked away to make some money for my family. I've usually been home at weekends tho'. Many others work 'away' for years. My boy is serving abroad at the moment. Just bought a house, three kids at school, gets the keys to the house and next day leaves for a four month posting. No 'choice' in his case.

So it wouldn't have 'killed' Toums to stay until May. First Team football, bit of promotion sniff in the air? Surely other clubs would rather sign a player who showed loyalty, played well and almost/did push his 'adopted team to promotion/near promotion?
"Good player, Boss ..."
"Why does he want to leave Plymouth?""
Family up here Boss, saw out his season at Plymouth tho'.""
Good lad .. let's sign him!"

That's imho anyway! :think:

At the end of the day this forum is about opinions is it not ?. Toums was on the scrap heap, DA and Argyle gave him the chance to resurrect his career, my personal opinion is that Toums could have repaid the faith shown him by at least staying until the end of the season and then reviewing his options then.i I see people defending Toums choice on a personal level because of his family being up north, yet he had been based in the south for the majority of his career and that hadn't seemed to be such an issue to Toums then which is why I think some are saying similar to what myself, and Dad are saying. Yes Fleetwoods owners have been splashing the cash due to their millionaire owner, but one would think that anyone involved in football or knowledgeable about football like us as fans would know that Argyle still have far more potential than Fleetwood Town. Going from playing in a strong team in front of 9000+ fans every week to playing in a struggling team struggling to get 3000 fans a week seems like a step backwards to me, and I think in hindsight Toums might realise this himself.
These people tend not to think like us. Provided his pay cheque is the same or more he won't care about the size of the crowd. If that, or the prospect of relegation, start to affect his pay he will re-consider his options. However, I still think that he was very open when he left and the need to be with his family more often was the overriding factor. Perhaps the fact that he had spent so much of his time in the south, the problem was a cumulative one and not just an Argyle one.

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
Pogleswoody":5r2cdf54 said:
Argyle-sy":5r2cdf54 said:
Daz":5r2cdf54 said:
mervyn":5r2cdf54 said:
Why the schadenfreude? He did a great job for us and moved for family reasons. Pathetic posts.

Nobody doubts that, however he was on the scrap heap struggling for a club when we came along and gave him a life line to help him and his family. He played well for us which coincided with an upturn in the whole teams performances and then he moved on as soon as he could. It would be rather ironic if he was not able to get back in their team that he would have made a bad decision for himself and his family.

He was largely credited for our upturn in form, but it’s since been shown that it wasn’t all down to him. He could have been a legend here, but left for short term gain.

I said the same and got crucified for it Daz. My opinion is Toums should have stayed until the end of the season then looked at his options. If we were to go up and Toums had stayed he might have been looking at a wage increase given how integral a part of the team he had became. Can't blame him for wanting to be closer to his family but same as you I feel he could have shown a bit of class to DA and the team given that we got him fit and playing again. Wonder if looking back now he wishes he had given it to the endvof the season before looking at his options.

I've worked away to make some money for my family. I've usually been home at weekends tho'. Many others work 'away' for years. My boy is serving abroad at the moment. Just bought a house, three kids at school, gets the keys to the house and next day leaves for a four month posting. No 'choice' in his case.

So it wouldn't have 'killed' Toums to stay until May. First Team football, bit of promotion sniff in the air? Surely other clubs would rather sign a player who showed loyalty, played well and almost/did push his 'adopted team to promotion/near promotion?
"Good player, Boss ..."
"Why does he want to leave Plymouth?""
Family up here Boss, saw out his season at Plymouth tho'.""
Good lad .. let's sign him!"

That's imho anyway! :think:

Good post. I 100% agree with you.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
Pogleswoody":e00mnu8y said:

Your last comment sums it up, no choice!

Given the choice, would you choose to be away from your family if you didn't have to?

If you want to talk about loyalty has anybody considered where his loyalties should lie? In this case he's done the honourable thing and been loyal to his family. I'd pick my family before Argyle too and I support them!

For all you know he has a partner or child struggling back home. Hypothetical I know but something some (not saying you!) should consider.

He came in briefly and did a good job. Like a loaner we owe each other nothing. It was a win win. (In our case a win, win, win, win win...)

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Knibbsworth":30vuxpwz said:
Has anyone worked away and had a partner and children who were happy with that arrangement?
i seem to remember steve maclean was quite happy down here whilst his missus was up in scotland. ;)