John Barnes banned as a company director | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

John Barnes banned as a company director

Sep 28, 2022
Just been released that John Barnes has been banned from being a company director for 3 and a half years. This is as a result of not paying £200,000 of corporation tax and vat. Unfortunately another example of the law not applying to them.

Last edited:

The Pasty Kid

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 16, 2006
Liskeard
There are usually warnings and attempts to get things sorted by other methods first. In no situation would he have faced consequences that much quicker than this. The law has been applied to him.

SurreyJanner

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 30, 2015
Seems strange that he was allowed to shut his company down whilst owing all that tax. From the very brief details given out by HMRC, looks like he never intended or made any attempt to pay tax for years. Sounds like fraud to me...

Reactions: Sun Stonehouse
Nov 18, 2011
Looks like he's been holding his money when he should give it but do it at the right time
He can be slow or fast but he must get to the bank
Tax will always hit you and hurt you
Returns and Accounts
There's only one way to beat it
Get round the back of the taxman
Catch him if you can cause he's the England man
And what you're looking at, is the law being applied.

Sep 28, 2022
Who's "them"? What's the law that hasn't been applied here?
"Them",is basically rich people who use every conceivable avenue to avoid their obligations. Re, Gary Lineker, Lorraine Kelly Gary Barlow, Rishi Sunaks wife, etc, etc. Most of us are taxed at source and pay every penny that we owe. Others don't, simple as.

Sep 28, 2022
It's not Minority Report, the guy from HMRC doesn't kick Barnesy's front door in because he's about to overlook his obligations.
Ah yes "about to overlook his obligations". Taken him a while to realise that he had any obligations, 6 years!. Bless him, must have been all that heading of the football, maybe that could have been his "defence". Mind you Barnes was never really known for his defence obligations. A bit like his tax obligations.

Jon with no H

🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
Ah yes "about to overlook his obligations". Taken him a while to realise that he had any obligations, 6 years!. Bless him, must have been all that heading of the football, maybe that could have been his "defence". Mind you Barnes was never really known for his defence obligations. A bit like his tax obligations.
I'm saying that the system cannot punish someone before they do the thing that warrants punishment. Once the powers that be become aware of the malfeasance, then they have to apply the law.

Sadly, that process is not exactly efficient at the best of times, and these things are not done out in the open so it's very hard to a) find all of the information and then b) analyse it to the necessary extent in a matter of weeks or months before c) proving it has all happened.

Sep 28, 2022
I'm saying that the system cannot punish someone before they do the thing that warrants punishment. Once the powers that be become aware of the malfeasance, then they have to apply the law.

Sadly, that process is not exactly efficient at the best of times, and these things are not done out in the open so it's very hard to a) find all of the information and then b) analyse it to the necessary extent in a matter of weeks or months before c) proving it has all happened.
No I, m not critical of the system in place to retrieve outstanding taxes, I, m critical of the individuals who appear to think that tax doesn't appear to apply to them. We need tax to provide for those who are in need, be they old, young, sick or unable to support themselves for whatever reason amongst a lot of other things. And unfortunately, a lot of people, who really should know better, choose to obstruct and evade.

SurreyJanner

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 30, 2015

Hmm not for VAT, they're on you very quickly with automatic fines which start escalating

Jon with no H

🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
Hmm not for VAT, they're on you very quickly with automatic fines which start escalating
The Insolvency Service launched an investigation last September, but the period in question was November '18 until October '20.

I see all day how long it takes for even basic litigation to get through the system, so for someone to get to this point, there's so much paperwork to go through before things get to the stage at which a disqualification happens.

SurreyJanner

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 30, 2015
The Insolvency Service launched an investigation last September, but the period in question was November '18 until October '20.

I see all day how long it takes for even basic litigation to get through the system, so for someone to get to this point, there's so much paperwork to go through before things get to the stage at which a disqualification happens.
yes I'm sure you're right. But it just seems really odd that he paid not corporation tax or VAT whatsoever despite submitting returns. VAT is quarterly so they'll know very quickly if you're not paying it. Late payment penalties start very quickly and start escalating quickly - I'm struggling to see how he was left for 2 years to be submitting VAT returns, not paying anything and he's not being done for VAT fraud