Jason Banton | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jason Banton

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
Banton came on as sub against Wycombe in the playoff 1st leg & virtually single handedly nearly got Argyle on parity after being 3 down & playing tripe.
Then inexplicably Sheridan doesn't start with him in the 2nd leg. A huge mistake & he was brought on when it was too late.
A wasted talent unfortunately.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Pogleswoody":pcjedia9 said:
lilcol":pcjedia9 said:
He was never any good imo.

Not true. He achieved a certain status in the game. Way beyond my wildest dreams and I was (occasionally) moderate.
Find comments like this about pro players quite distasteful tbh. How 'good' were you then pal?

Agreed. Especially as he basically kept us in the League.

Reactions: Belfast Green
Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
German Shepherd":3cvqb9m2 said:
Banton came on as sub against Wycombe in the playoff 1st leg & virtually single handedly got Argyle on parity after being 3 down & playing tripe.
Then inexplicably Sheridan doesn't start with him in the 2nd leg. A huge mistake & he was brought on when it was too late.
A wasted talent unfortunately.

Were Wycombe as physical then, can't recall.
I do remember an injured Reid running very few yards that evening, and there's no awards for semiphore.
Terrible evening. Including the bus back to the station going kaput.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Joins Sittingbourne FC.

His 18th club in 10 years (previously Argyle, MK Dons, Wycombe, Hartlepool, Notts County, Crawley, Partick Thistle, Woking, Torquay, St Alban’s, Dulwich, Truro, Braintree, Romford, Cray Wanderers, Kingstonian and Bishop’s Stortford).

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
So strange. You could make an argument for saying he's one of our most important players ever, too.

Jun 27, 2019
Some players make it as pros and then decide the hard work stops there. Banton is one of those.

You could argue that he had more natural talent than someone like Joe Edwards, the key difference being that Edwards has dedicated himself to the job and is still playing at a good level 14 years after turning pro.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
It does beg the question, as important as he was for us, did the fact he was playing in a dreadful team make him seem a lot better than he was? Because when he returned and we had a stronger squad, he was far less effective. Either way, a real shame to see him now playing in the 8th tier.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Saw him score a great goal at Wimbledon for us....cutting in from the left wing and curling the ball around the keeper and nestling just inside the far post.....I had a great view from behind that far post.....but the desire and commitment wasn't there to the same degree as time went on.....shame.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
I've seen him play for quite a few teams in the Vanarama South and although still technically good, the passion seems lacking.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
It does beg the question, as important as he was for us, did the fact he was playing in a dreadful team make him seem a lot better than he was? Because when he returned and we had a stronger squad, he was far less effective. Either way, a real shame to see him now playing in the 8th tier.
Perhaps he’s happy though…

Nov 18, 2011
I watched a lot of the games of that loan spell and he was a cut above anyone else on the pitch. He had the talent to be a Championship/League 1 player if only he had the application.

You could see as well that when his confidence was high it led to arrogance, I doubt it endeared him much to his own teammates.

Reactions: X Isle

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
You could see as well that when his confidence was high it led to arrogance, I doubt it endeared him much to his own teammates.

Guy Branston said the below about him, which would fit with that -

"If his work rate improves he'll play in the Championship or League One, and if he works hard at his game he could even stroke the Premiership with his ability.
But it's about getting Jason Banton to believe in his ability. We saw flashes of it in training, but not enough."