Is this Normal - Ads | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Is this Normal - Ads

Jul 24, 2012
Hi,

When logged in, the site is sometimes obscured by ads within the page and ones that overlay - can I just ask if this is what it’s supposed to be or is it an anomaly?

I’m not really bothered by them, just checking to see if it’s acting as normal, picture attached.

Kind regards,

IMG_1996.png

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The top one appears to be the new 'exit ad' I was referring to on my Sticky on the main page.

Hit the cross and it won't appear for quite a while and we are trialing that one.

The one below is one of the SnackMedia ads which are on the site normally.

Certainly the mobile site has larger ads compared with the desktop.

Hope this helps.

FourMarkGreen

Jam First
May 25, 2016
Must admit that I find the current South Western Railway ad at the bottom pretty intrusive.

I'm in the middle of reading a post, and it sort of scrolls up obscuring getting on for half of the usable screen area for posts. So I scroll the page up a bit so I can continue to read the post, only for the ad to scroll back down again a few seconds later. And repeat.

Windows 10 laptop, Edge browser.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Screenshots are invaluable buddy. (y)

That sounds like a search engine pop up to me, have you been looking for train tickets or similar?

I'll add this as a general point, if you're not logged on, there are many intrusive adverts.

FourMarkGreen

Jam First
May 25, 2016
Here you go Ian. This is definitely just on Pasoti, not across websites more generally. And I've not been looking at SWT websites, or searches. It disappears if I hit the X (top rhs) but then reappears by sliding up a few s later. It's not been happening that long - a week or so, maybe? And I'm logged in.

Not the end of the world and I understand that you need to monetise Pasoti. Just intended as some constructive feedback:

zGQgteZ.png

Jul 24, 2012
The top one appears to be the new 'exit ad' I was referring to on my Sticky on the main page.

Hit the cross and it won't appear for quite a while and we are trialing that one.

The one below is one of the SnackMedia ads which are on the site normally.

Certainly the mobile site has larger ads compared with the desktop.

Hope this helps.
Thanks mate - I hadn’t seen that post and will make a point of reading those stickies from now on, gotta have the revenue supporting the site! When you call it an exit ad, would it pop up when I’m navigating ‘back’ through a page I’d already viewed? I was only on the site for a minute or two reading the thread about the new five year plan when it popped in before going to other threads in the main forum?

Jul 24, 2012
On first load of the site - wanting to go to the main forum to read the synopsis.

I’ll stop posting these now, just in case you think it’s not right.

IMG_2022.png

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Yeah I'm not quite sure this is happening to you buddy.

Just hit the top right X and see if it keeps on happening.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I was only on the site for a minute or two reading the thread about the new five year plan when it popped in before going to other threads in the main forum?

It IS very random, but not too obtrusive I hope as it does boost the revenue quite a bit. (y)

We will never allow pop ups and followers though.

Reactions: FusRoDah
Dec 3, 2005
Using my mobile phone, it seems adverts are popping up at the bottom of screen and if I even think about going to another thread or leave, damn Iceland advert covers a third of the screen. I know you need income, but surely the limit for adverts has passed. It seems like things are just filling up the screen, the privacy thing to the right, is that necessary? Now damn kebabs advert lol.

Dec 3, 2005
You know you have to close it yeah?
Close the adverts? I really don't want to keep closing adverts, just enjoy reading posts.
I try and close the Iceland advert, anyhow, and it doesn't close. So I just leave, even if I didn't intend too, just because of that one advert

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Close the adverts? I really don't want to keep closing adverts, just enjoy reading posts.
I try and close the Iceland advert, anyhow, and it doesn't close. So I just leave, even if I didn't intend too, just because of that one advert

The adverts allow you to 'enjoy reading posts' for free.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Perhaps I need to say it again, the days of this site crashing on match days have long gone, our bandwidth is incredibly good these days.

We also have a load of add ons within this site that make it a dream of a site to negotiate.

We pay approx £12 to £14k per year to our hosts to make this happen. We don't charge membership fees, we simply pay everything via our advertising revenue, and of course we then donate many £1000s for sponsorship to Argyle related initiatives (The Archive, Argyle Legends, Argyle 50/50 and PAFC Displays etc).

I'm afraid adverts are here to stay, we won't have gambling advert campaigns on here, despite having been offered many £1000s on a continuing basis, and we won't have those annoying pop ups and followers like the Herald has.

We may on occasions trial new styles of advert, like this 'exit' one, and we will if necessary dump it, if it proves to be an annoyance. We've had very few complaints and we take that to mean that most people either can cope with the adverts or they understand the need for them.

Reactions: Belfast Green