Is James Brent a philanthropist? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Is James Brent a philanthropist?

Apr 1, 2009
Sunday's commentator described James Brent as a philantropist as the camera zoomed in on him. Is anyone in agreement with this description, particularly in the light of today's news of redundancies?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Comes across as philantropist but I think many professional and successful buisness can come across as one.

Oct 28, 2008
Corvallis, Oregon, USA
At least the commentator knew who he was.

They showed probably the same footage in USA but the (English) commentator didn't know who they were - I think I could see Peter Jones as well as James Brent in the crowd but the commentator just said "Anxious faces in the Dorchester crowd..." or something to that effect.

Maybe he is a philanthropist outside of his businesses - not sure if Argyle counts although maybe, seeing as he always maintained he was a reluctant buyer and felt it should continue as a community asset.

N

newquaygreen

maybe 20 books of Green Shield stamps gets us a decent midfield player :greensmile:

Jan 27, 2012
NO HE IS NOT !!

I am uncertain that he has put hard cash into the club and will end up making a tidy profit from developing the car-park for retail and hotel uses. The grandstand improvement will be necessary to obtain planning permission for the hotel/retail so he's not doing that out of kindness either.

He is very good at playing politics and making himself seem charitable when he in fact he isn't. Our local councillors are a pretty dozy bunch and its easy for him to pull the wool over their eyes easily enough. We have plenty of naive Argyle fans as well.

I am not completely anti-Brent but these are the facts as I see them. He is far more self-interested than many PASOTÎ readers seem to think.

Jun 2, 2010
Plymouth or Pacific
I don't think he has ever pretended to be one.

There is no guarantee that he is going to make a tidy profit from the planned developments and even if he does it is going to be a long time coming. He is going to have to raise a fair bit of cash in order to undertake developments of this size and no money will be coming in until things are up and running.

Like all businessmen he is taking a calculated risk and pushing Argyle issues aside his plans will give a much needed boost to employment in the local construction industry.

Jan 27, 2012
George Willis":3au2jl1z said:
I don't think he has ever pretended to be one.

There is no guarantee that he is going to make a tidy profit from the planned developments and even if he does it is going to be a long time coming. He is going to have to raise a fair bit of cash in order to undertake developments of this size and no money will be coming in until things are up and running.

Like all businessmen he is taking a calculated risk and pushing Argyle issues aside his plans will give a much needed boost to employment in the local construction industry.

I agree that he has never claimed to be a philanthropist himself, but he is happy to let other people to do his talking for him. As I said, I think he's quite a skilled politician.

Whilst you can't guarantee that the stadium development will be profitable, he will obviously take a calcuated risk just like he would on all of his other investments. I think he has his eye on other projects around the Plymouth area as well, including the Pavillions site. Keeping in favour with the City Council is therefore important to him.

I would describe Brent as "disarming"- meaning that he is skilled at appearing like a nice chap whilst at the same time being self-interested and somewhat ruthless.

Will he hang around once the all development has taken place ? We will wait and see.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
What are you getting at?

Nov 11, 2012
Keyham
James Brent told us he was not going to throw money at the club. He said he was going to run the club as a business but he well cover the loses until it gets turned around so we have to realise that big money transfers well not be happening. As far as I am concerned he has done what he said he was going to do. I would have preferred some things were done quicker but being an Argyle supporter of over thirty years, I am use to disappointment.

Nov 8, 2010
He isn't a philanthropist, but he isn't driven solely by profit either, which is the best we can hope for so I'm pleased we've got him.

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
I, like a lot of fans have been studiously watching the results both home and away.
As both myself and my wife are season ticket holders we are concerned how the results are continuously going against us. I understand the club has inherited a large debt that has to be paid off over a certain time but the club has had assistance with paying some of this off by monies raises with the Fan Fests and the PASOTI auctions. The football team seemed to be continuously getting beaten by clubs with far lower gate averages than Argyle. Take Fleetwood for example, their gate I believe is around 2500 – 3000 whilst Argyle’s will be 6000+. Fleetwood managed to bring in more expensive and therefore better equipped players and the result was that they ran rings around our players for most of the time and got the three points that we are desperate for. They must somehow be operating within the 55% budget though I cannot fathom out how. The gates will continue to drop whilst the team are not winning and if we drop down to the Conference they will drop further. Sadly I have changed my mind about Carl and Ro but if what is needed is to bring in a more experienced manager and drop Carl and Ro down to being assistant managers/ coaches so be it.