#incoming (Macaulay Gillesphey signs) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

#incoming (Macaulay Gillesphey signs)

Jun 27, 2019
cheshiregreen":9dl7zjm7 said:
What standard is the A league equivalent to here?

(Know we have few posters who are based there so would welcome their opinions)

I've watched a bit of A-League football due to having relatives over there. It's difficult to compare it to a league over here because there is a real mixed bag of ability, but I would expect Argyle to beat most of the teams in the league based on what I've seen.

Most of the best players are foreign 'stars' in their 30s, most of whom you'll have never heard of.

None of the above is to disparage our latest signing, by the way.

Feb 15, 2005
Welcome young man and letā€™s hope you have a brilliant Argyle career. It seems RL is addressing our defensive frailties by having a team of CBā€™s :)

The Doctor

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Interesting spelling of his surname. I've never seen that before.

Interesting signing too - certainly not a player who would have been on most people's radar. Good age. Decent experience. Plenty to prove in his home nation. His move to Australia suggests a certain amount of boldness which I think is a good thing.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
He must have travelled a lot more miles than our players in a season. Mainly by air, I assume.
Welcome back to England, Macca.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
Welcome aboard the good ship Mayflower.

He's got a decent left-foot, takes free-kicks, is comfortable on the ball and able to pick out a long pass. Showreel ... You Tube.

On paper, we have a very good back three - the experienced all rounder, the beast and now some culture.

Wexford Green

šŸ‡®šŸ‡ŖšŸ‡®šŸ‡ŖšŸ‡®šŸ‡ŖšŸ‡®šŸ‡ŖšŸ‡®šŸ‡ŖšŸ‡®šŸ‡Ŗ
āœ… Evergreen
Jan 20, 2005
Ballygarrett, County Wexford, Ireland
WoodsyGreen":2jjd0ra0 said:
cheshiregreen":2jjd0ra0 said:
What standard is the A league equivalent to here?

(Know we have few posters who are based there so would welcome their opinions)

I've watched a bit of A-League football due to having relatives over there. It's difficult to compare it to a league over here because there is a real mixed bag of ability, but I would expect Argyle to beat most of the teams in the league based on what I've seen.

Most of the best players are foreign 'stars' in their 30s, most of whom you'll have never heard of.

None of the above is to disparage our latest signing, by the way.

I was a season ticket holder at OGC Nice for 5 seasons when a player called Eric Bautheac was there. He went to play for Brisbane Roar for 2 seasons when 29 years of age. He would walk into any Argyle team even now at 33 years of age. Currently at Omonia Nicosia.

mutley marvel

Cream First
āœ… Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Well that is 3 CBs in- i wonder if we will be signing anymore

It is interesting that for someone of is age he chose to move to the other side of the world at the tender age of 24- that suggests to me he has a metal toughness about him which can only be a good thing

When he returns to the UK does anyone know if he will have to spend time in quarantine or will be be exempt as an elite sportsman :thumbs:

Jan 27, 2012
Iā€™ve seen some A-league games in New Zealand (Wellington Phoenix). The standard is difficult to judge but the players donā€™t usually have much pedigree (and if they do have pedigree then they are usually players at the end of their career). Iā€™d say it is League Two standard at best- certainly no higher than that level and possibly even lower.

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
As with all new signings only time will tell, but I sure hope it works out for him and us. Need a couple of decent mid fielders now and we will be up and running ....

Oct 20, 2015
Welcome aboard Mr G!

Have to say we have all been crying out for some defensive signings and RL/Hallett/Dewsnip have delivered, early.

I was fully expecting a nail biting wait in August for the dregs of the transfer market and some dubious loaners.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me could have a stab at how the first 11 might look on Aug 7th?