In the old days. | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

In the old days.

Jan 21, 2007
Growing up in Taunton, we were spoon fed Bristol City, Rovers, and Swindon Town by HTV West. Obviously, this was all pre-YouTube, Smart phones, etc, and you have to wonder how good scouting and match preparation was back in the 70's and early 80's. Just below Tommy's 32 for the season is Alan Walsh (Bristol City) on 24. He was my favourite player at the time ... he had one trick, zero pace, but a great left foot. Every week you would see him do a stepover with his left, tap it with his right, and head to the byeline; that was it, that was all he had, yet every right-back that played against him fell for it hook, line, and sinker; every time ... it was hilarious ... and he always ended up as one of the top scorers in whichever division City were in; not bad for a left winger who spent his entire career hugging the touchline.

An interesting Alan Walsh fact ... his daughter is married to Kelsey Grammer, the actor, who plays Frasier Crane

Butternubs

Jam First
Nov 4, 2021
Plymouth
I'll say it again in regards to the 1980s - but what was going on with footballers hair in that decade? They all look like the styles were designed by Lego. Were men not allowed to style their hair in that decade? I can't remember I was going through teenage years through some of it so was distracted by skateboards and BMXs. Everyone over 20 seemed to sport total Dad hair.

Jon with no H

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
Growing up in Taunton, we were spoon fed Bristol City, Rovers, and Swindon Town by HTV West. Obviously, this was all pre-YouTube, Smart phones, etc, and you have to wonder how good scouting and match preparation was back in the 70's and early 80's. Just below Tommy's 32 for the season is Alan Walsh (Bristol City) on 24. He was my favourite player at the time ... he had one trick, zero pace, but a great left foot. Every week you would see him do a stepover with his left, tap it with his right, and head to the byeline; that was it, that was all he had, yet every right-back that played against him fell for it hook, line, and sinker; every time ... it was hilarious ... and he always ended up as one of the top scorers in whichever division City were in; not bad for a left winger who spent his entire career hugging the touchline.

An interesting Alan Walsh fact ... his daughter is married to Kelsey Grammer, the actor, who plays Frasier Crane
I didn't know that, Cheers.

Jul 12, 2016
I'll say it again in regards to the 1980s - but what was going on with footballers hair in that decade? They all look like the styles were designed by Lego. Were men not allowed to style their hair in that decade? I can't remember I was going through teenage years through some of it so was distracted by skateboards and BMXs. Everyone over 20 seemed to sport total Dad hair.
It’s what you get used to. A lot of haircuts today were at one time only seen in prisons and as for wearing hair bands and having top knots!

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Billy Rafferty in there as well who was still scoring goals - for Bournemouth.

Jon with no H

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
It’s what you get used to. A lot of haircuts today were at one time only seen in prisons and as for wearing hair bands and having top knots!
I haven't had a haircut since January 2020, you should give it a go, it's great!

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
I haven't had a haircut since January 2020, you should give it a go, it's great!

And there was me thinking you’d missed the air off your username Jon. 😉

(In theory, it could still be true I suppose)