in praise of jimmy spencer | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

in praise of jimmy spencer

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Interesting to read the thread from 5 Sept. I think that along with Goodwillie and Miller, Spencer is another of DAs astute signings.

Jun 11, 2012
He's making one particular thread a month or two ago look all the more daft. Geddon Jimmy.

I think there is no doubt that early on he actually was not very good. His control was terrible and nothing was sticking. Adams had to look for other options and brought in Garita and Spencer was dropped.
With Garitas injury there was no option but to bring him back and he's been a revelation. I'm just as guilty as other people for moaning about players but it shows that we have to be patient and sometimes something miraculous happens.

Apr 15, 2016
Spencer is playing brilliantly in a thankless task surrounded by defenders. He may not have the flair and excitement that fans want to see from the striker but he is playing a vital row making our forward players all click together. No coincidence we are scoring freely with him at the spearhead.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Whilst I accept he has improved ( boy did he need to ) he is still inconsistent and definitely no Dennis Bergkamp.

I can't fault him for effort but he is not strong or fast enough for me like Garita is. He may have had a good game at bottom of the table Newport but at Pompey he didn't show up again.

Bringing in Garita has probably upped his game and put his starting position under threat so its good to have competition and alternatives.

Anyone who thinks he remotely resembles Bergkamp is completely bonkers IMHO

Sep 6, 2006
pearces greens":2tz3a21a said:
Shoenice":2tz3a21a said:
It took me 90 minutes and just 1 game, against Leyton Orient, for me to see a player in there. I likened him to Bergkamp in style and people laughed at me.

:shh:
Ha Ha

Yes it still makes you look rather silly. And if you are convinced by a player playing well against 9 men you need to think again.

Nov 22, 2006
the front 4 of Spencer, Carey, Jervis & Slew are complimenting each other nicely and with Tanner, Goodwillie & Garita all in backup we have a very capable attacking line that will hopefully lead us to glory this season :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
I still think he brings very little to the side and we could do a lot better. However whatever we have right now seems to be working and they do appear to be clicking, so he must be doing something right.

Sep 6, 2006
Nobby":9dc174be said:
I still think he brings very little to the side and we could do a lot better. However whatever we have right now seems to be working and they do appear to be clicking, so he must be doing something right.

Yes we could do better. Unfortunately Messi is not available.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
samjones":1mi0mp0x said:
Whilst I accept he has improved ( boy did he need to ) he is still inconsistent and definitely no Dennis Bergkamp.

I can't fault him for effort but he is not strong or fast enough for me like Garita is. He may have had a good game at bottom of the table Newport but at Pompey he didn't show up again.

Bringing in Garita has probably upped his game and put his starting position under threat so its good to have competition and alternatives.

He must have impressed you recently. At least, you've stop calling him Frank.

H

Helston_Green

samjones":2kgpllbh said:

Boy did he need to? Harsh. Was Spencer ever really that bad? In most of the games I've seen him play (including against Pompey) he had held the ball up reasonably well, and on the occasions things haven't 'stuck' used his body well and won a lot of free kicks.

A very clever player and yet another string to our bow.

Oct 24, 2010
Spencer is a very good player at this level and has been since the start of the season. It should be noted that he lost his place through injury and it will be interesting weather Adams will play him and Garita together which is unlikely. More probably he will utilise Garita as an impact player. Whatever,it is good to have such high quality competition for places.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
davie nine":3hw8p97r said:
samjones":3hw8p97r said:

He must have impressed you recently. At least, you've stop calling him Frank.

'Pearly' now surely??