Improbable,yet possible playoff scenario ! | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Improbable,yet possible playoff scenario !

Feb 26, 2011
I said at the beginning of the season that I would love to have the lad Grimes at our place and see him as the perfect replacement to Connor.
On the Exeter play off thing I seriously don't think I could watch or listen if we lost to them it would literally destroy me and I would have to give up my love for the sport and take up cricket....

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
Steve Perryman was talking up Grimes value in the WMN this morning (can't blame him). I think he's going in January and that he will be a big loss to them. With three automatic promotion places thats where Sheridan has got to be aiming in the first instance for Argyle, if it is the play-offs it would still be good but obviously a different scenario.

C

Cobi Budge.

Tisdale is probably the leagues best manager, Exeter fans are extremely thick considering they want him out every couple of months.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
mervyn":3gc5mhk1 said:
Ade the green":3gc5mhk1 said:
Exeter won't be anywhere near the playoffs come season' send. Their show ponies won't be able to play on heavier pitches and historically they've had poorer second halves of previous seasons whereas we have done better.

Don't you believe it. I've watched Excretia twice recently with friends of their opposition, and believe me they are improving rapidly. Even with the certain loss of Grimes I fancy them for an automatic promotion spot, though it pains me to say it.

I thought everyone was a friend of their opposition.

Today Grimes scored his first goal from open play so whilst he can place a dead ball, he's ineffective goal wise. Everything good does go through him though and unless Tisdale has them training without Grimes on the pitch it will take time for the team to deal with that loss.
Remember us after Buzacky left, or David Friio, or David Norris?
We all have our opinions but I seriously believe they don't play well on heavy pitches

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Steve.PAFC2012":3pt1zl7n said:
In fairness under Tisdale Exeter have had a better second half to the season.

Last season: high position of 2nd at game 13. Low position of 22nd at game 36. Final position of 16.

Season before 2 highs. First 2nd pos at game 4, first low of 11 at game 24. Second high 3rd then drop back to 10th final position.

Didn't go back further as it would include their time in league 1 and relegation.

If you saw the graphs you would see that they have a drop off in results around the 20 game mark which is the winter games on heavier pitches.

Season before last was the season after relegation which probably kept their position more consistently mid table.

Tisdale first managed them 8 seasons ago and saw them promoted from non-league through league 2 into league 1. After 3 seasons in league 1 he's now watching them return to their natural level.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
MannameadGreen":2839mfhd said:
As soon as Exeter get a decent bid for Grimes, they'll sell. They're not in a position to turn down big money.

I don't see them challenging for the play-offs without him, myself.

They've apparently already had and accepted an offer from Southampton for either £1m or £1.75m depending what you believe.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Grimes certainly does look to have a bit of class from what I've seen of him.

I disagree though that any potential promotion push would be over should he leave.
They will have some cash in the coffers for strengthening.

Mar 14, 2009
Emu":h92bvm3s said:

I disagree though that any potential promotion push would be over should he leave.

One scenario people have totally overlooked. If he is brought, the chances are that being so young and Exeter pushing high up the league that he will be loaned back for the rest of the season. Especially if its a team he doesn't have much opportunity of playing first team football straight away.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Metal_Green_Mickey":d2mtou71 said:
Emu":d2mtou71 said:

One scenario people have totally overlooked. If he is brought, the chances are that being so young and Exeter pushing high up the league that he will be loaned back for the rest of the season. Especially if its a team he doesn't have much opportunity of playing first team football straight away.

I think if that were to happen the Grimes in the second half of the season might start to be a bit more cagey so as not to get injured and scupper the deal. Also, if you look at players that are loaned out, very few of them have first team experience and less have a £1m+ valuation. I was wrong earlier in that I believed a deal had been done with Southampton, the club in question would be Swansea.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Emu":2mtq645h said:

I think they'll be surprised at how little they'll see of the money.

Not so long ago they needed a loan from the PFA to cover wages and next close season will be the same. If all that money was spent on playing staff then wages would increase and the need for another loan would be more apparent.

They've also brought forward a home game and didn't really see the increase in gate money they expected so that's another hitch they've saved for later in the season.

They also believe they'll get Reuben for £250,000 and that includes his wages. :doh:

The money from Grimes has already been spent I reckon on Harley and Nicholls (they paid nothing for Morrison).

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Ade the green":343sqxk4 said:
Emu":343sqxk4 said:

They've also brought forward a home game and didn't really see the increase in gate money they expected so that's another hitch they've saved for later in the season.
They got a good 600 more (at least) than they would have got on a Tuesday normally. There's a chance they could have got more people later in the season if they're still close to the play-offs but they've played the game when they're in form which should help them out points wise and having climbed the table will slowly drag a few more people into games now, they should have done reasonably well financially after bringing the game forward.