If the Trust own 20% of the club, can it ditch PASB | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

If the Trust own 20% of the club, can it ditch PASB

E

Ed_Blackburn

Surely the PASB would become superfluous? The Trust could simply include an optional membership with all tickets and season tickets?

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
I don't think 20% would give the Trust any control over the club whatsoever.

80% out votes 20% every time so the future of the PASB rests with James Brent and the other directors.

D

Damon.Lenszner

The shares being offered are non voting shares.

Apr 27, 2009
Damon.Lenszner":121a7gw2 said:

Damon

So apart from raising money for the club, what exactly would be the benefit to the trust ? Honest question as i have no idea on these things

Mike

D

Damon.Lenszner

Mike I honestly dont know. Best to ask Tim I suppose. The idea is some kind of convertible loan share I think.

Jun 21, 2005
N Hampshire
What is the point of having non voting shares?

It's a scam, a gesture to pacify the simple, whilst raising money to soften the financial burden of others. IMHO.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
Stonehouse Mike":23us0732 said:
Damon.Lenszner":23us0732 said:

Damon

So apart from raising money for the club, what exactly would be the benefit to the trust ? Honest question as i have no idea on these things

Mike

I'm assuming that the shares on offer can be converted to voting shares in the future - but it's still only 20% so no power.

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
David_Fisher":kckrp9qw said:
Stonehouse Mike":kckrp9qw said:
Damon.Lenszner":kckrp9qw said:

Damon

Mike

I'm assuming that the shares on offer can be converted to voting shares in the future - but it's still only 20% so no power.
Symbolic? Yes
Influence? Almost certainly
Power? Don't make me laugh

Oct 24, 2010
To own 20% of the club would be massive for the fans. Apart from the very fact of us owning a sizeable part of the club it would give the fans via the Trust permanent supervision of the clubs financial affairs which after our recent experiences is a hugely important, we may not always have such an owner as we have now . It would also give the club a major financial boost with I assume 50% going to pay of the FC debt which includes, of course, the staff.

I don't know how much negotiation the Trust have attempted with James Brent but even if the figure is £400,000 that would only be £50 per person for 8,000 fans, I assume, payable over time, very doable if the fan base has the necessary enthusiasm. Another suggestion would be for the Trust to purchase shares up to 20% at an agreed price as and when fundraising permits, it may take several years but we would get there in the end.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
esmer":20paay5j said:
To own 20% of the club would be massive for the fans. Apart from the very fact of us owning a sizeable part of the club it would give the fans via the Trust permanent supervision of the clubs financial affairs which after our recent experiences is a hugely important, we may not always have such an owner as we have now . It would also give the club a major financial boost with I assume 50% going to pay of the FC debt which includes, of course, the staff.

I don't know how much negotiation the Trust have attempted with James Brent but even if the figure is £400,000 that would only be £50 per person for 8,000 fans, I assume, payable over time, very doable if the fan base has the necessary enthusiasm. Another suggestion would be for the Trust to purchase shares up to 20% at an agreed price as and when fundraising permits, it may take several years but we would get there in the end.

I agree with this Esmer, but I would add that as part of the deal the shares should have some voting rights, so while not having any actual control over decisions the opinions of the fans can be made clear to the board. I see the ovting part as a communication tool rather than a control tool.

G

Gareth Nicholson

There is an excellent emotional argument for paying nearly half a million pounds for a 20% stake in the club.

There is a very poor rational argument for doing it.

Members will decide which they prefer, and that's the way it should be.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Greenblooded1":2b2f3i4r said:
What is the point of having non voting shares?

It's a scam, a gesture to pacify the simple, whilst raising money to soften the financial burden of others. IMHO.

Just thought I'd step in here...

In no way is the club's offer a "scam", that would be harsh to say the least almost bordering on slander in fact. What the club is offering is a 20% share in the club without the voting rights of normal share holders; this has always been the case as far as I know. The club hasn't dressed this up as a 20% say in Argyle’s decision making process; a scam would imply a lie on the club's part whereby the Trust is to be told it's buying voting shares when in fact they are buying non-voting shares. This isn't the case; the Trust knows exactly what has been offered and exactly what they will receive should they accept the offer.