Identity crisis? A team and club without an identity | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Identity crisis? A team and club without an identity

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Jimmyd":25syrehv said:
David_Fisher":25syrehv said:
Army green":25syrehv said:
Yeah I get what the op is saying but as a club we have a small time mentality. The board are happy with us being small time, the club are happy with a manager that thinks short term not long term. Nothing will change, to be honest I can see us getting relegated when we play Scunthorpe and our fans clapping these muppets off the pitch. We will never fulfill our potential because the mentality of the whole set up is wrong, always has been always will be. Managing expectations is the key now for argyle fans.

I feel that the new chairman is more interested in the improved "prawn sandwich" facilities for the few rather than the football for the many.

The new facilities may produce more income long term but in the meantime funds are diverted away from the football.

My brother met someone who i believe is related to Hallett a few months ago (possibly his brother in law). I understand getting the facilities right is a huge deal. It was menetioned that the average matchday spend per head at Exeter Chiefs is over £20 (not including tickets), while at Argyle is is around £2 (im paraphrasing but you get the idea, and i think tickets are cheaper there than at argyle). If we get the facilities to a point where a good proportion of fans want to stay behind after or turn up early for a couple beers then this will only help create funds to invest in the squad.
I cannot see a situation where the new facilities wlll do anything other than improve the financial position. Simon Hallett has lent the club the money at a low interest rate and over a very long period. (He joked at Senior Greens that his kids can bear some of the pain from their inheritance). So making money 6 or 7 days a week rather than a maximum of 1 afternoon and 1 evening a fortnight, when the fixtures fall that way, has to be the way ahead. For a city of its size Plymouth is very short of top quality venues for weddings, formal dinners et al, so I see only the long term gain balanced against short-term pain. Match day facilities are very limited and I am sure many more will prefer getting to HP earlier, rather than queuing outside the Brit and then spending more than half their time inside queuing to get served.