Hourihane | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Hourihane

Feb 24, 2009
Paignton, Devon
Graham Evans":2emriar4 said:
I dont agree with the booing but i can understand supporters frustration.The back pass in question was tottaly the wrong choice as it ended a perfectly good attacking move. I agree that Hourihain has some potential but at the moment he is a very negative player.In this instance there were other options that he could have taken and kept the move alive , in fact it went back and may have been hoofed up the field as so often happens in these circumstances.This is what frustrates the supporters.

GE, not having a go directley but...

'but i can understand supporters frustration.' For christs sake, it was the second minute of the game ! :crazy:

The back pass in question was tottaly the wrong choice Says you and others from the comfort of your seats where you have a much better view overall of what 'is on'. What you see is not what the players see at game level. :doh:

Hourihane has some potential but at the moment he is a very negative player. He's got potential but will we see the best of him by booing him after 2 minutes ? He's a young kid trying to learn his trade in L2 where invariably there are 'old pro's' who have dropped down a level and looking to show these youg'uns a thing or two. :eh:

BTW, I am an exile so haven't had to sit through the rubbish on show over the last 5 years (well, apart from some away matches :facepalm: ) but in our current situation, with rebuilding, give CF and the guys support during the match!

Feb 24, 2009
Paignton, Devon
Graham Evans":2xv4qsjn said:
I dont agree with the booing but i can understand supporters frustration.The back pass in question was tottaly the wrong choice as it ended a perfectly good attacking move. I agree that Hourihain has some potential but at the moment he is a very negative player.In this instance there were other options that he could have taken and kept the move alive , in fact it went back and may have been hoofed up the field as so often happens in these circumstances.This is what frustrates the supporters.

GE, not having a go directley but...

'but i can understand supporters frustration.' For christs sake, it was the second minute of the game ! :crazy:

The back pass in question was tottaly the wrong choice Says you and others from the comfort of your seats where you have a much better view overall of what 'is on'. What you see is not what the players see at game level. :doh:

Hourihane has some potential but at the moment he is a very negative player. He's got potential but will we see the best of him by booing him after 2 minutes ? He's a young kid trying to learn his trade in L2 where invariably there are 'old pro's' who have dropped down a level and looking to show these youg'uns a thing or two. :eh:

BTW, I am an exile so haven't had to sit through the rubbish on show over the last 5 years (well, apart from some away matches :facepalm: ) but in our current situation, with rebuilding, give CF and the guys support during the match!

Jan 29, 2010
plymouth
We give our support by going to the games , are you suggesting that we watch in complete silence?People are allowed to voice disapproval if they want to , the collective sigh was not for one backpass more a reflection on the countless time the said player has executed the same tactic in previous games.I think he could be a good player one day but in my opinion he needs a more positive outlook.

Mar 25, 2007
What a total load of crap this thread is. We made a highly placed team look like donkeys and this is what is being talked about?! CH played a big part in an excellent win. Move on.

Oct 24, 2010
Graham Evans":3jth435h said:
What frustrates me is players, when they come under a bit of pressure, copping out and humping the ball hopefully forward instead of working hard to retain possession.

Jan 29, 2010
plymouth
Darren Purse was , in my opinion man of the match yesterday , but he was still frustrating me by lumping the ball up in the air at every opportunity.What exactly is your point?

Sep 23, 2005
Spot on esmer. There is nothing at all wrong with hourohane's back passes it's what invariably follows next that winds me up. The aimless punt up field from Purse, Blanchard or Cole which loses possession yet seems acceptable to the Conor boo boys. It certainly never attracts the same level of venom anyway.
Get off his back.

Jul 9, 2008
Holsworthy
I don't think people booed but some did sigh. I think that what annoyed most people was that he did not even look forward before or when he received the ball he just turned straight away and played it backwards without checking any forward options.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Although I'm sure CB's are given the green light to hump the ball away under pressure?

You could sense what kind if response any defender would get if one time they tried playing the ball out, lost possesion and conceded.

Row Z as they say.

Feb 21, 2011
esmer":22jzx8ol said:
I can't believe that anybody can still have any serious doubts about Hourihaine's ability and value to the team. He is an exceptional player with enormousness potential. Our best passer with great energy and work rate - to coin a phrase "a proper footballer".
Agree with this totally.

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
CBs at all levels pump the ball forwards. They usually do this because after the strikers are man marked, the midfield has been pressured out of the ball, they are being closed down - and an aerial ball up front for the strikers to challenge seems a good option compared with risking being tackled, or playing a fellow defender into being tackled.

The fans probably realised Purse was odds on to hoof it, which is why they sighed when he played it and ignored other options.

People justify Hourihane's thinking by drawing Barcelona parallels - the bit where Argyle fall down is having defenders who hit it long under pressure, have no confidence on the ball and panic.

I'm not complaining - just trying to add a degree of realism. If we had Gerard Pique and David Luiz at the back and practised one touch tiki taka in training, the passes back and 'ball retention' would make better sense than if they resulted in hoof balls.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
PAFC is for life":33xjq63a said:
I don't think people booed but some did sigh. I think that what annoyed most people was that he did not even look forward before or when he received the ball he just turned straight away and played it backwards without checking any forward options.

He would have checked his options, backwards or forwards, before receiving the ball. Please don't assume that just because you didn't see him looking, that he wasn't fully aware of what, in his opinion, was the best ball to play.

May 16, 2005
Elburton
I'd be the first to admit that I have questioned Conor's ability in the past (no booing from me though) but in all fairness, he played very well on Saturday.

Well done to the lad!

Oct 24, 2010
ejh":3rm20ddx said:
CBs at all levels pump the ball forwards. They usually do this because after the strikers are man marked, the midfield has been pressured out of the ball, they are being closed down - and an aerial ball up front for the strikers to challenge seems a good option compared with risking being tackled, or playing a fellow defender into being tackled.

The fans probably realised Purse was odds on to hoof it, which is why they sighed when he played it and ignored other options.

People justify Hourihane's thinking by drawing Barcelona parallels - the bit where Argyle fall down is having defenders who hit it long under pressure, have no confidence on the ball and panic.

I'm not complaining - just trying to add a degree of realism. If we had Gerard Pique and David Luiz at the back and practised one touch tiki taka in training, the passes back and 'ball retention' would make better sense than if they resulted in hoof balls.
We do have to be realistic and very often the long ball out of defence is the only sensible option but it should be pretty much a last resort. Long balls from defenders up to strikers travel a long way and give the opposition defence the advantage and make it very difficult for our strikers to get possession and the result generally is that we give the ball back to the other team. Strikers need balls played into feet from the midfield or wide areas (say 10 -20 yard passes) that gives them the chance to pull of defenders and get to the ball first.