Hopes for the 3rd/4th play-off | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Hopes for the 3rd/4th play-off

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Belgium simply have far too much quality for us. We're lucky to have nil.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Still some encouraging signs but today has shown the difference between a top side and one still a work in progress.

Hopefully a top quality midfielder will emerge before the euros.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
With Jones and an unfit Kane we played with 9 men.

Nevermind.

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
The thing that we fall short on is getting behind the opposition.

We get in a good position, but never try to drive into the box. Why?

We were short of a creative midfielder, but why oh why didn't we take Shelvey?

Came up short when it really mattered unfortunately in the last 2 games. No lack of effort, just lacking quality

Mar 14, 2009
The difference between the sides was De Bruyne and Hazard.

They picked up pockets of space, drove at our defence and slick passing on the counter attack created numerous opportunities. Just a poor touch by Lukaku on two occasions meant they didnā€™t go on to win more.

Good changes in the second half and a much better England display.

England though are miles behind these top teams. We have players like Stones who now needs to be playing in someoneā€™s first team. We canā€™t keep relying on developing players that arenā€™t playing regularly. This is my worry. Will we see England players given the opportunity over cheaper, foreign imports. I personally canā€™t see premier league clubs caring about the future of England team so the pool of players to pick from is going to be our issue.

How on earth we going to develop talent over the next few years if they donā€™t play in somebodyā€™s first team?

The other issue is Southgate. Can he improve tactically during games? Can he understand that to progress forward he needs a different type of player in the midfield or will he keep faith with the players he has chosen in this World Cup. For me you can see Jones hasnā€™t the quality to be an England defender and Sterling needs to be played in a wider position because as a no 10 he doesnā€™t score or create enough goals.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Balham_Green":20k7v725 said:
Can't believe anybody watched it.

One of my neighbours had another big party to watch the match, as they did last weekend. It was a lot quieter today.

A bit more attacking ambition from eng in the second half this time. Not a lot of guile with it unfortunately.
Once again 2 wide attackers pinned our WBs back first half. 1-0 down early with danny rose badly at fault.
He doesnt look the same player now since his injury. Perhaps he just needs more gametime?
Southgate went with 2 proper CMs this time to partner dier in the 532. The only tactical change.
Delph and RLC who again impressed me with his strength and skill on the ball. Potentially a top player in there
somewhere i reckon. Lets hope he gets some prem gametime. Hopefully as much as some of these belgian players seem to
have been given over recent years.
Having 3 proper CMs didnt seem to help much though as our play was still too cautious and slow. We also lost possession
too easily at times.
At least we went for it more in the 2nd half. The team, including WBs moved higher up the pitch leaving us more open to their
dangerous counters, hazard and de bryune especially benefitting, but by doing so it actually allowed us to become more
fluid and so more threatening with it. Pity we conceded another poor goal when we did as we were doing quite well at the time.
Phil jones has never impressed me as an international defender and dont know what gary cahill has done to have kyle walker
and now phil jones selected ahead of him.
Maguire MOM for me. His distribution today was top class again. Pickford, trippier and stones all did very well too.
Dier and RLC both had good games though i would still have liked to have seen them as a CM pair rather than part of a three.
I would have liked to have seen us match their 343 man for man just to see if it made a difference to our play.
Whatever, waistcoat man appears to have complete faith in his 532/352 at the moment.
Have to see now if he can make it work better especially in going forward. Our main prob in the tourny a deficiency of goals
and chances created from open play. No combinations or partnerships seemed to have developed from an attacking viewpoint.
Kane still likely to get his golden boot though. 3 pens, 2 tap ins and a fluke. They all count i suppose.
Not at his best again today. Sterling wasnt playing on the shoulder this game which did help our play a bit more but
again he failed to score or create much. Liked to have seen wellbeck given a try at some point.
Ali and rashford both had disappointing WCs overall imho. Lingard and RLC showing the most potential.
Pity lallana was injured. He might have made a difference with his experience in that area.
I will be interested to see what southgate does in the 4 games against spain and croatia coming up in the nations cup.
Whatever, its all over now. Back to the argyle boys again and some proper international stuff with irish and portuguese
no 10s to drool over. Playing in their correct positions too......i hope.

Sep 6, 2006
Fat_green_belly":2u5pnhz2 said:
A bit more attacking ambition from eng in the second half this time. Not a lot of guile with it unfortunately.
Once again 2 wide attackers pinned our WBs back first half. 1-0 down early with danny rose badly at fault.
He doesnt look the same player now since his injury. Perhaps he just needs more gametime?
Southgate went with 2 proper CMs this time to partner dier in the 532. The only tactical change.
Delph and RLC who again impressed me with his strength and skill on the ball. Potentially a top player in there
somewhere i reckon. Lets hope he gets some prem gametime. Hopefully as much as some of these belgian players seem to
Having 3 proper CMs didnt seem to help much though as our play was still too cautious and slow. We also lost possession
too easily at times.
At least we went for it more in the 2nd half. The team, including WBs moved higher up the pitch leaving us more open to their
dangerous counters, hazard and de bryune especially benefitting, but by doing so it actually allowed us to become more
fluid and so more threatening with it. Pity we conceded another poor goal when we did as we were doing quite well at the time.
Phil jones has never impressed me as an international defender and dont know what gary cahill has done to have kyle walker
Maguire MOM for me. His distribution today was top class again. Pickford, trippier and stones all did very well too.
Dier and RLC both had good games though i would still have liked to have seen them as a CM pair rather than part of a three.
I would have liked to have seen us match their 343 man for man just to see if it made a difference to our play.
Whatever, waistcoat man appears to have complete faith in his 532/352 at the moment.
Have to see now if he can make it work better especially in going forward. Our main prob in the tourny a deficiency of goals
and chances created from open play. No combinations or partnerships seemed to have developed from an attacking viewpoint.
Kane still likely to get his golden boot though. 3 pens, 2 tap ins and a fluke. They all count i suppose.
Not at his best again today. Sterling wasnt playing on the shoulder this game which did help our play a bit more but
again he failed to score or create much. Liked to have seen wellbeck given a try at some point.
Ali and rashford both had disappointing WCs overall imho. Lingard and RLC showing the most potential.
Pity lallana was injured. He might have made a difference with his experience in that area.
I will be interested to see what southgate does in the 4 games against spain and croatia coming up in the nations cup.
Whatever, its all over now. Back to the argyle boys again and some proper international stuff with irish and portuguese

Longest report ever from you for a completely pointless game!

Balham_Green":34baa4un said:
Fat_green_belly":34baa4un said:
too easily at times.

Longest report ever from you for a completely pointless game!
Warming up for the season ahead BG.
Getting my brain back into gear.
Only into 1st though.
Little green cells a bit heat shrunk at the mo.