Hopefully just interest shown in our players (merged) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Hopefully just interest shown in our players (merged)

May 8, 2011
Knibbsworth":298cr4sm said:
Given how much of the Purrington/Nelson/Hourihane money Adams got, I think he'd be furious if any more players were sold.

If he has to find freebies and build a team of them, the least the board could do is not sell them.

How much did he get?
Are you assuming players play for Argyle for free, rumours are Carey is on over £20k a month.

Aug 5, 2016
HC Green":28r5u9jv said:
Knibbsworth":28r5u9jv said:
Given how much of the Purrington/Nelson/Hourihane money Adams got, I think he'd be furious if any more players were sold.

If he has to find freebies and build a team of them, the least the board could do is not sell them.

How much did he get?
Are you assuming players play for Argyle for free, rumours are Carey is on over £20k a month.

Do you think that is expensive for one of the best players in the division who Adams signed for nothing?

We do average crowds of 10,000 as well, bear in mind.

Feb 17, 2017
HC Green":1tyo7v84 said:
Knibbsworth":1tyo7v84 said:

How much did he get?

I’m sure there are other clubs that would be willing to pay twice what he is on currently, players like that are very hard to find, I can imagine fleetwood are paying diagouraga more than the 5500 Carey is on a week

May 8, 2011
Knibbsworth":16mtw9ro said:
HC Green":16mtw9ro said:
Knibbsworth":16mtw9ro said:

How much did he get?

Do you think that is expensive for one of the best players in the division who Adams signed for nothing?

We do average crowds of 10,000 as well, bear in mind.

And Adams was given extra budget this year which is being used for increased wages.
Apart from Blissett and Edwards, Adams has never paid money for a player in his entire management career, not sure why he doesn’t like buying players but I suspect he enjoys the challenge of finding and resurrecting journeyman’s careers. From reading some quotes of his I don’t think he likes an easy life but enjoys pressure.

Knibbsworth":2l73zbyt said:

Derek is a victim of his own success. If he brings players in for free and they turn out to be a success, then other teams will want to poach them for more money. It had been the case that Derek had managed to keep hold of his own signings. I would like to think that the reason for this maybe a sense of loyalty between the players and the manager. When Adams brought these players in, many were deemed as 'unwanted' at their previous clubs, with Adams giving them a platform to prosper.

Diagouraga seems to be the first of his own 'freebies' that has left against the wishes of the manager - unless anyone can think of another? The likes of Nelson, Hartley, Purrington etc. were all at the club when he arrived. Diagouraga is perhaps the exception to the rule, due to family ties and a mutual understanding that he was only here on a short term basis. I remain hopeful that the likes of Carey, Taylor, Bradley etc. are here for the long term rather than switching allegiances to the highest bidder.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
HongKongGreen":f9flyvwj said:
Knibbsworth":f9flyvwj said:

Derek is a victim of his own success. If he brings players in for free and they turn out to be a success, then other teams will want to poach them for more money. It had been the case that Derek had managed to keep hold of his own signings. I would like to think that the reason for this maybe a sense of loyalty between the players and the manager. When Adams brought these players in, many were deemed as 'unwanted' at their previous clubs, with Adams giving them a platform to prosper.

Diagouraga seems to be the first of his own 'freebies' that has left against the wishes of the manager - unless anyone can think of another? The likes of Nelson, Hartley, Purrington etc. were all at the club when he arrived. Diagouraga is perhaps the exception to the rule, due to family ties and a mutual understanding that he was only here on a short term basis. I remain hopeful that the likes of Carey, Taylor, Bradley etc. are here for the long term rather than switching allegiances to the highest bidder.

Rather than “left against DAs wishes” it should be “left despite DAs wishes”. Only a small pedantry but it rather sounds like DA could have stopped him.

Oct 31, 2015
Remember the fire sale in Hollowards days which drove him to leave for Leicester. That was one hell of a kick in the teeth for the playing squad and some money taken in by the board members (allegedly :) )

I wouldn't want to see that sort of thing again.

Aug 8, 2014
If these players that are linked with other clubs stay, then we must reward loyalty with better contracts.
Sonny,Taylor & ossie are key players give extensions before the end of the season, we should even be discussing now tbh.
If we are trusting/backing Adams with his long deal then key players deserve better than a 1yr deal.
Even if they then leave, we will get more money for them......so surely a win/win ??

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
rsp4":2ddsyhyg said:
Remember the fire sale in Hollowards days which drove him to leave for Leicester. That was one hell of a kick in the teeth for the playing squad and some money taken in by the board members (allegedly :) )

Holloway himself made money from that.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
rsp4":2njlogr9 said:

Yeah that was disastrous and we were nailed on to get in the playoffs and in with a big shout of a chance in the premiership. Board saw the pound note signs and sold all the top players from underneath us.

Think that will be the closest we will ever get to the promised land

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
samjones":b65q3ck8 said:
rsp4":b65q3ck8 said:

Yeah that was disastrous and we were nailed on to get in the playoffs and in with a big shout of a chance in the premiership. Board saw the pound note signs and sold all the top players from underneath us.

Think that will be the closest we will ever get to the promised land

Do not forget that at the time the attendances at Home Park were not sufficient to generate the cash flow/profits to pay the salaries of the then Championship players. The Club's bankers were screaming and there was a sell-off as the then Directors' were unable to finance a club losing money. It is now a much more stable financial situation.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The great fire sale under Holloway and then Sturrock mk2 was more about balancing the books and getting high earners off the wage bill. 87% of our turnover at that time was spent on player wages.

It was too late because we went into administration anyway and had nothing to show for it.
Most clubs who go into administration manage a promotion or a cup win before going bust, we had two relegations and a close shave with the Conference.

Mar 8, 2016
IJN":2n7lk9f8 said:
rsp4":2n7lk9f8 said:

Really? Is that even legal?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
PL2 3DQ":9f2zskhf said:
The great fire sale under Holloway and then Sturrock mk2 was more about balancing the books and getting high earners off the wage bill. 87% of our turnover at that time was spent on player wages.

It was too late because we went into administration anyway and had nothing to show for it.
Most clubs who go into administration manage a promotion or a cup win before going bust, we had two relegations and a close shave with the Conference.

Stapleton and Co got a decent return thou

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
IJN":30gxw19a said:
rsp4":30gxw19a said:

On what transfers did he make money ? I presume there was a clause in his contract giving him a percentage of the transfer fee/profit on players sold.