Gillingham hoodoo | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Gillingham hoodoo

Local(ish) game for me. Think I've been going since March 1975 without seeing a win against them, so I make sure to count the Brighton win there . I remember they played "We gotta get out of this place" at the final whistle.

Odd place, always seems the weather intervenes. Biting cold, extreme heat, that fog (I watched the game through prescription sunglasses), more biting cold (sitting on the open stand after a cider-filled lunchtime) and then a 50% sun tan last season - just one side of the face caught it sitting in the main stand !

Strangely, by far from our worst opponents overall : http://greensonscreen.co.uk/gosdb-headtohead.asp

Mike

Aug 11, 2013
Noticed DA was quoted about the length of the journey there and back within 2 days with Barnsley on Monday ... which I felt was a bit like getting your excuses in early and felt like he was already giving the players an excuse.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
PMPilgrim":ycej7ll0 said:
That’s the reason I dislike Bolton.

Their chairman said there should be no relegation from the Premiership....once they were in it obviously.

I’ve little sympathy for their current predicament but guess the fans will be those that suffer.
Bolton? Have I missed a post here?

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
cheshiregreen":3s5lnfm2 said:
Quintrell_Green":3s5lnfm2 said:
I can recall Argyle getting a draw up there playing with the relegation team of the late 90's. Let's not be too despondent.

Article says last draw was 1986. :shocked:

You are right, Argyle were drawing at half time, but lost 2-1 at FT . Sorry for my mistake.

Mar 14, 2010
Kent
The good news is that I have seen Argyle win at the dump known as Priestfield, sadly though it was against Brighton when they played home games there. Against The Gills at Priestfield, living in Kent, I have only known defeat. My abiding memory is watching us torn to shreds by Adi Akinbiyi when a dense fog descended at around 4-1 down and the Argyle supporters singing "we can't see you, we can't see you, we can't see you anymore".

Nov 29, 2011
Plymouth
Wasn’t our record at Scunny similarly bleak? Far too much to ask to win at two bogey grounds in one season, especially when we’ve been garbage in the road?

PutneyPete

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ PASALB Member
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
Jun 23, 2005
London (Putney)
Strangely enough, both Gillingham and Argyle had shockers in their last match.

It all depends on which team can recover best and come out scoring.

Deja Vue?

Gillingham boss Steve Lovell claims he was let down by his players as Shrewsbury cruised to a 2-0 victory at Priestfield.
‘Shrewsbury outplayed us in every department,’ said Lovell.
‘We were awful, we were really awful and that’s the first time I think I’ve said that this year. That hurts me.
‘A lot of players – most of them in fact – could have no complaints if they’re left out next week.
Too many people were off their game.
‘For most of them it was probably the worst game they’ve played all season.
I feel let down.
We’ll bounce back but there was no intensity, there was no spark.
It was dead, it was all lacklustre.
That’s not us and it’s a horrible feeling.
‘Shrewsbury dug in, they defended well and put their bodies on the line when they needed to.
Their two goals were easy for them.
‘They deserved their win but we’ve got to learn from it because this was a poor, poor performance.
‘It’s important that we get something from the next couple of games over Easter.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Will be my 2nd visit tomorrow, the first one being 90 minutes of aimless punts upfield and Warren Feeney failing to hold it up. We lost 3-0.

G

GreenGiantLion1886

Dan Ellard":14l8xsye said:
Will be my 2nd visit tomorrow, the first one being 90 minutes of aimless punts upfield and Warren Feeney failing to hold it up. We lost 3-0.

Also attended this game and it was an awful watch. Hoping for none of the same this weekend. Hopefully the sun brings out a better performance

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
oddball":3defer4y said:
been there several times especially when we were in the CCC and like many others have said, I have never seen us win there.......maybe in our hour of need the players will put in a performance...

Argyle and Gillingham have only ever crossed paths in the second tier on one occasion.

One's memory can play tricks.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":2hrt1gqp said:
oddball":2hrt1gqp said:
been there several times especially when we were in the CCC and like many others have said, I have never seen us win there.......maybe in our hour of need the players will put in a performance...

Argyle and Gillingham have only ever crossed paths in the second tier on one occasion.

Unfortunately LC, he said "whilst we were in the CCC" - thanks to a League Cup tie in 2009, we have actually played Gillingham away more than once whilst we have been in the 2nd tier.

Thanks for playing.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Dan Ellard":1mccqy9h said:
Lundan Cabbie":1mccqy9h said:
oddball":1mccqy9h said:

Unfortunately LC, he said "whilst we were in the CCC" - thanks to a League Cup tie in 2009, we have actually played Gillingham away more than once whilst we have been in the 2nd tier.

Thanks for playing.

"We" meaning Argyle and not "we" meaning both clubs. Easy mistake.

So they even beat Argyle on their way to relegation to the 4th tier? :shifty: