Georgie Best. | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Georgie Best.

I remember going to a charity game at Home Park in the early 80's, maybe '82 and I'm sure George Best was in one of the line-ups. Ian Gillan from the Ian Gillan Band no-less scored a couple of scorchers but I have never seen any details regarding this game.

Does anybody know of the line-ups, what the teams were called and what it was in aid of?

Tewkesbury Green

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 21, 2006
Jeremy I remember going to this game and yes George Best definately played. I'm sure I have the programme (which was like a newspaper) at home somewhere, will have a look.
My only memory of the game was a cracking goal from the right wing from Gillan.

P

PossetGreen

I remember going to this! I think GB was the only reason most of us went.

I recall the 'comedian' Jim Davidson trying to cross the ball into the penalty area from a long way out and it flew into the back of the net!

Tewkesbury Green

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 21, 2006
I managed to find the "programme" the date of the match was 28th November 1982 which would have made me a spotty 13 year old!

The teams were the George Best All Stars and the Jim Davidson All Stars. Some other interesting names in the line ups were Paul Mariner, Billy Rafferty, Peter Osgood & John Wark, there was also a splattering of Local "celebs" such as Ian Calvert.

No idea on the score though.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
I remember going to this too. I remember George Best doing a few keep uppies whilst running down the wing!

Ian Gillan looked like he had never kicked a ball in his life, then went and scored twice. the crowd was in hysterics and I think he couldn't believe he had scored either. :)

A

andyr1963

Andy Fairweather Lowe was in goal. Not that anything should be taken away from the goals. Two excellent strikes, the second was in answer to claims the first was just luck. :lol: