For oldies. Any things you miss about matches in the 60s and 70s? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

For oldies. Any things you miss about matches in the 60s and 70s?

Now don’t get me wrong. The last thing I want is a return to the bad old days of rotten pitches, poor stadia, clogging and hoofball football, terrace fighting etc. The game is infinitely better today. However there are one or two things I miss.

1. Before segregation, the chance to share discussions with opposing fans. Impossible now of course, but it used to be really interesting to hear the other side’s views on players and tactics, and some genuinely good banter. Shame it all turned nasty.
2. The chance to see former stars plying their trade at lower levels. Fortunately today they can sensibly retire without knackering their bodies in middle age, but it was great to see former stars like Best, Marsh, Moore when they could still have a big impact at a lower level. I even saw Dave McKay as player/Manager of Swindon town aged nearly 50! He never moved out of the centre circle, yet controlled the game with brilliant precise passing to speedy runners.
3. Guaranteed standing position for any top flight game, simply paying on the door. In London I could make a last minute decision whether to watch Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea or West Ham, with very few games actually sold out.
4. Er, that’s it. Anything you miss?

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Eyesight good enough to identify at a glance players 100-odd yards away with no names on their shirts.

Straining to overhear someone's small transistor radio with crucial updates on rivals' games.

Printed programmes, compact and with very few adverts.

On a related note: no internet. Everything is far too easy these days.

Many more, but I don't want to hog things too much.

But not forgetting...

Small boys in the park. Jumpers for goalposts. Enduring image. Isn't it? (Might as well get the self-awareness in first!)

Last edited:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Evening Herald printed just after the macth, any late goals had to be missed but it was still part of being a football fan.

The smell of liniment when the players came out on a cold December night (on a Wednesday at 7:30 pm).

Only black boots worn.

Hooped socks.

ABCDE................ on the old Dierctors box, you had to buy a programme to break the half time score code.

No grass on the middle of pitch from October onwards, just good old fashioned mud.

Floodlight pylons, so you could see the away grounds from miles away.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020
Getting in early to get to the front.
Silk scarves on wrists.
Evening games the constant lighting of a cigarette somewhere in the ground (beats the waving around of the mobile phone torch, when fans are bored)
Autograph hunters replaced by selfies.
Toilet rolls thrown !!

Apr 16, 2016
Too young for the 60's but as a kid in the 70's ...

'The last post' being played on a bugle or something from the Mayflower whenever an opposition player spent too long on the ground being injured.

General terrace wit.

Players not diving - Frannie Lee apart.

Cigarette smoke ( even as a non smoker)

Wearing a silk scarf from your belt loop or your wrist.

Orange balls in the snow.

Players coming to blows.

Keith Hennessey

🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
Jul 17, 2006
Blenheim New Zealand.
Rosettes,Rattles and Go*****gs.Cigar smoke and liniment.Standing in Demport. Oggie Oggie Oggie.Being able to get from Plymstock ,watch the game ,buy a programme and Pasty and get home for about 2/6d.

Jul 6, 2005
In no particular order;

Argyle Reserves in the Football Combination League, Saturdays as well as the occassional evening game.

An Argyle kit featuring one of our main colours, Black.

Traditional Floodlight pylons, so you could see an Away Ground from distance.

Players not trying to get other players sent off and not virtually every foul a booking either.

Pitches with barely a blade of grass throughout much of the central third of the pitch come November.

Standing to watch games.

Unfit Match Officials struggling to keep up with play and getting 'stick' from the crowd.

Bright Orange balls in winter.

Going down to my local paper shop at 6.30 on a Saturday evening to buy the Football Herald. It had a comprehensive Argyle match report as well as reports from local matches. It would also include the P&D and Plymouth Combination League tables and list the top goalscorers in each Division.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bernie Bernbaum
Apr 16, 2016
Great clip. For all the talk , rightfully, of the quality these days, there were some fine players on that pitch. What an up and down day for Chris Harrison - beautiful feet for the first goal and the less said about the back pass the better. I wasn't at that match but was that the time Swansea fans trashed the Pennycomequick pub ?
And , likewise , great quality out there too. I was at the Chelsea game - as a slightly scared nipper.
Ian Britton " Flicking the ' v's at the Devonport End " - you gotta love the 70's - it could get you a month's ban today !

Last edited: