Football Herald | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Football Herald

Mar 11, 2021
Tavistock
Does anyone remember the Football Herald that used to have all the scores in?

I think it was yellow paper? Or am I imagining things.

It was sold late on Saturday evenings...or was it Sunday ( but that was the Independent)

smudja

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 29, 2005
Glenrothes
Does anyone remember the Football Herald that used to have all the scores in?

I think it was yellow paper? Or am I imagining things.

It was sold late on Saturday evenings...or was it Sunday ( but that was the Independent)
Pretty sure it was pink, was in the newsagents around 6pm depending on where on plymouth yiu were

Mar 11, 2021
Tavistock
I thought it was a coloured edition.

Some effort to get all the results and print it and have it on sale 6/7pm.

This is way before mobiles and Internet.

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
I thought it was a coloured edition.

Some effort to get all the results and print it and have it on sale 6/7pm.

This is way before mobiles and Internet.
I'm pretty certain it was pink. After returning home (to Crownhill) after a home game, the football paper was either delivered within a few minutes or, occasionally, if it had taken an exceptionally long time to get home, it was already there waiting for us!

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
It was a pain for us paper boys in the 50s.

Jun 2, 2010
Plymouth or Pacific
I used to get my copy about 6pm from the newsagent at Peverell corner. It was an amazing feat really how they got the results of local games into that paper sometimes with a small write up. I was playing in the old Plymouth Combination League and Bob Toft who ran the team would get nearest phone to get the result in. We used to feel good if our team result made it. Sounds a bit childish but life was a lot simpler then.

Last edited:

smudja

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 29, 2005
Glenrothes
I used to get my copy about 6pm from the newsagent at Peverell corner. It was an amazing feat really how they got the results of local games into that paper sometimes with a small write up. I was playing in the old Plymouth Combination League and Bob Toft who ran the team would get nearest phone to get the result in. We used to feel good if our team result made it. Sounds a bit childish but life was a lot simpler then.
would that be Pinwells?, the write up was mainly first half action seem to remember a picture if Argyle were at Home

May 22, 2006
I have the editions when we won promotion in 1930s and 1950s.

The 1930 one was the same day as Arsenal v Huddersfield FA Cup Final.

Reactions: smudja

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
I remember the Saturday sports results version of the Herald, but I don't remember it being pink, green or puce.

It was amazing that is was out in Plymouth suburbs by 6pm.

I think there was a Green'un from Bristol and I do recall a Pink'un from somewhere (and wasn't the Financial Times!! 😀)

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
There was a Football (Liverpool) Echo that was pink and also appeared remarkably quickly after the final whistles. I think papers like that were published more or less countrywide once upon a time, weren't they?

Last edited:

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
It was a pain for us paper boys in the 50s.
And early 60's, just finished delivering herald and there was the footie special to go out when you got back to the shop especially mid winter pitch dark, cold and tired

Reactions: justanotherfan