First Argyle Game | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

First Argyle Game

Feb 14, 2021
A 4-2 home win over Shrewsbury in March 1970 - Derek Richard got a hat-trick.

By the time I went to my second game two years later, my best friend’s dad had shown me his notebook in which he'd recorded details of every match he’d ever been to. This inspired me to follow suit and the six exercise books documenting the 818 games (593 Argyle) I’ve been to to date are among my most precious possessions

Reactions: Argyle Since'68
Nov 25, 2011
My Dad used to take me to matches when I was maybe 7 or 8. I had no interest in football at all back then. Sadly, Dad passed away when I was 10 and my interest in football in general and Argyle in particular post-dated the 1966 World Cup final, which I didn't watch. I was in a cinema watching a Morecambe and Wise film instead! But then schoolmates at Plymouth College got me into football and Argyle in particular, so the first match where I actually took notice of what was going on must have been during the 1966-7 season, I imagine. I don't recall the opponents though. I do regret that my father never got to see me as an avid follower of football and Argyle. Perhaps somebody has a fixture list for season 1966-67 so I could take a look and perhaps work out what my first match at Home Park was that season?

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2005
My Dad used to take me to matches when I was maybe 7 or 8. I had no interest in football at all back then. Sadly, Dad passed away when I was 10 and my interest in football in general and Argyle in particular post-dated the 1966 World Cup final, which I didn't watch. I was in a cinema watching a Morecambe and Wise film instead! But then schoolmates at Plymouth College got me into football and Argyle in particular, so the first match where I actually took notice of what was going on must have been during the 1966-7 season, I imagine. I don't recall the opponents though. I do regret that my father never got to see me as an avid follower of football and Argyle. Perhaps somebody has a fixture list for season 1966-67 so I could take a look and perhaps work out what my first match at Home Park was that season?

jthep

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Apr 28, 2011
A few common threads here Keith. My Dad died when I was 8, and my regular attendance at matches started around 1965 (after my first match was 1958 when I was 7 - but I wasn't interested then). I also missed the 1966 final - was on a train bringing me back from Army camp. And I went to Plymouth College - 1961-69. Hey!

Reactions: keithobro
Nov 25, 2011
A few common threads here Keith. My Dad died when I was 8, and my regular attendance at matches started around 1965 (after my first match was 1958 when I was 7 - but I wasn't interested then). I also missed the 1966 final - was on a train bringing me back from Army camp. And I went to Plymouth College - 1961-69. Hey!
A lot in common then. I went through the 66-67 fixtures and none rings a bell, although of course the players' names do. Maybe it was 67-688 that I started attending matches and taking notice? I was at Plymouth College 1966-74.

jthep

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Apr 28, 2011
A lot in common then. I went through the 66-67 fixtures and none rings a bell, although of course the players' names do. Maybe it was 67-688 that I started attending matches and taking notice? I was at Plymouth College 1966-74.
Ah ha - a mere youngster! You must have been a year or so behind Simon then

Oct 20, 2022
First memory is of Jim Furnell in goal with a dark blue top and very grey hair thinking someone that old shouldn’t be playing in goal.