Finishing position 2019/2020? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Finishing position 2019/2020?

Finishing position 2019/2020?

• Top of the league

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Automatic promotion

Votes: 42 38.9%
  • Win the play-offs

Votes: 14 13.0%
  • Fail in the play-offs

Votes: 11 10.2%
  • Just outside the play-offs

Votes: 22 20.4%
  • Mid-table

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • Just outside relegation

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Relegation

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2009
The defence concerns me. At this moment in time l feel we lack a bit of pace. We need that really good defender the rest can play around.

Is Wootton still going to be here? If he is then it’s a concern because ideally you want to see him gone and a replacement brought in.

Also is there enough “goals” in the team? I don’t think so at present.

My one last concern is pace. It’s the one thing we lacked a lot of last season throughout the team.

We seem we have lots of bodies now filling out the squad but another ST and CB is a priority, l feel. What if Mayor gets injured, Do we have an alternative? That was the beauty with Carey and Lameiras. You were always guaranteed one decent, inventive player would be on the pitch. (as long as Adams picked them which obviously didn’t always happen with Lameiras)

When l look at other L2 squads being assembled l see decent quality. Bradford, Mansfield, Salford, Northampton. They have re-vamped theirs squads. Added quality.

The other thing is the managers in this league. Other teams l haven’t mentioned. Clarke at Walsall and Hurst at Scunthorpe. Both proven managers at this level.

Now obviously to some it sounds a bit negative in what l said. I am though just asking questions on things that l feel may play a part in our season. We need to find a few more solutions l feel.

Where as though l get the impression a number of people have us down for promotion l am slightly different. Of course l want out of this league. Yet it might simply not happen until he gets more experienced players in that are his. This may take another one, maybe two transfer windows. Especially to ship out the players he don’t want that Adams signed. It might just be that certain players can’t adapt to Lowe’s playing methods.

He is going to have to use some of last seasons squad. Do they have the ability, playing attributes and temperament to embrace Lowe’s style? What happens when those some players are under pressure in games? Will they fight or down tools like that did against Accrington and many other League 1 games. I haven’t forgot how they often lack fight and it all came to fruition in that gutless, despicable performance at Accrington. Sure, a number have been moved on but there are a number of Adams signings still here who played a lot of games last season. Do they have the drive and fight for a long season ahead?

This is why l am feeling for this season my expectations are mid-table. If we do better great, if we do worse than this l would be a little disappointed. However, for me what excites me is the type of football this season l may get to witness. Ok, not in every game but enough that if this season we don’t get promoted it will still be an thoroughly enjoyable one because “we had a go” in games unlike the sit back back and defend a lead (if we got one) attitude under Adams.

I imagine this won’t be enough for many fans. They will want promotion this year. For me, l think a new Manager needs 12-18 months before you see it all click together.

I just hope fans give him at least a season. Have a bit of patience and if promotion doesn’t happen get behind him again next season, like they have this one.

May 22, 2006
Mid-july is usually the point at which my pre-season optimism begins to fade, and this year is no different.

When a new manager comes in, you naturally hope that previous mistakes will not be made again. Yet already we've signed a player with an injury record who can't go to Spain because, surprise surprise, he's injured.

And he's one of only a few signings we have made. Lowe hasn't yet shown the ability to cast the net much further than his former club. For me that's a serious concern. And the signings he has made don't adequately address the shortcomings in our defence.

I'm sure Lowe will take us up eventually, but expecting him to do it this season does seem a little too optimistic.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Mid table/just outside the playoffs for me.

Central defence concerns me as does the lack of a goalscorer, although I've a sneaky feeling that Telford could be a bit of a gem.

I think we'll struggle for goals, but maybe that's just me thinking about previous seasons.

Very difficult to say until we see the team playing The RL way. It's going to take a while to bed in so we need to be patient.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
argobenz":3nj6kq1r said:
jespafc":3nj6kq1r said:
I'm sorry, I think we'll struggle.

I just have a bad feeling. A complete overhaul of the squad and the loss of the spine of our team makes me pretty worried to be honest. IF the new manager can get the new players to gel quickly and get the squad on board with his philosophy, perhaps we can push the playoffs, but honestly I think this league is tougher than the optimists want to believe.

We didn't have a spine, that's why we were relegated.

As I said on the previous page, I mean basically Ladapo (goals), Lamerias and Carey (quality/assists) and Fox, the holding midfielder. Even Songo'o as the battler in midfield.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
jespafc":2ypi7u2r said:
argobenz":2ypi7u2r said:
jespafc":2ypi7u2r said:

I just have a bad feeling. A complete overhaul of the squad and the loss of the spine of our team makes me pretty worried to be honest. IF the new manager can get the new players to gel quickly and get the squad on board with his philosophy, perhaps we can push the playoffs, but honestly I think this league is tougher than the optimists want to believe.

We didn't have a spine, that's why we were relegated.

As I said on the previous page, I mean basically Ladapo (goals), Lamerias and Carey (quality/assists) and Fox, the holding midfielder. Even Songo'o as the battler in midfield.

I think we've lost a couple of spare ribs. A football spine begins and ends with a good goalie and a strong centre-half.
We didn't have them to lose (not the ones that Dadams chose!).
Big question for RL is: Where/who is the spine of your team Boss? :think:

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
For me it has to be promotion, either automatic or through the play-offs, otherwise the season is a failure.

The squad is about three quarters there, we still need a few more players to complete the squad, there's also the January transfer window to help give us a push for the second half of the season.

We need a good start but at the same time fans must be patient while the players gel and understand the new playing system.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Metal_Green_Mickey":34f5bwji said:
The defence concerns me. At this moment in time l feel we lack a bit of pace. We need that really good defender the rest can play around.

Is Wootton still going to be here? If he is then it’s a concern because ideally you want to see him gone and a replacement brought in.

Also is there enough “goals” in the team? I don’t think so at present.

My one last concern is pace. It’s the one thing we lacked a lot of last season throughout the team.

We seem we have lots of bodies now filling out the squad but another ST and CB is a priority, l feel. What if Mayor gets injured, Do we have an alternative? That was the beauty with Carey and Lameiras. You were always guaranteed one decent, inventive player would be on the pitch. (as long as Adams picked them which obviously didn’t always happen with Lameiras)

When l look at other L2 squads being assembled l see decent quality. Bradford, Mansfield, Salford, Northampton. They have re-vamped theirs squads. Added quality.

The other thing is the managers in this league. Other teams l haven’t mentioned. Clarke at Walsall and Hurst at Scunthorpe. Both proven managers at this level.

Now obviously to some it sounds a bit negative in what l said. I am though just asking questions on things that l feel may play a part in our season. We need to find a few more solutions l feel.

Where as though l get the impression a number of people have us down for promotion l am slightly different. Of course l want out of this league. Yet it might simply not happen until he gets more experienced players in that are his. This may take another one, maybe two transfer windows. Especially to ship out the players he don’t want that Adams signed. It might just be that certain players can’t adapt to Lowe’s playing methods.

He is going to have to use some of last seasons squad. Do they have the ability, playing attributes and temperament to embrace Lowe’s style? What happens when those some players are under pressure in games? Will they fight or down tools like that did against Accrington and many other League 1 games. I haven’t forgot how they often lack fight and it all came to fruition in that gutless, despicable performance at Accrington. Sure, a number have been moved on but there are a number of Adams signings still here who played a lot of games last season. Do they have the drive and fight for a long season ahead?

This is why l am feeling for this season my expectations are mid-table. If we do better great, if we do worse than this l would be a little disappointed. However, for me what excites me is the type of football this season l may get to witness. Ok, not in every game but enough that if this season we don’t get promoted it will still be an thoroughly enjoyable one because “we had a go” in games unlike the sit back back and defend a lead (if we got one) attitude under Adams.

I imagine this won’t be enough for many fans. They will want promotion this year. For me, l think a new Manager needs 12-18 months before you see it all click together.

I just hope fans give him at least a season. Have a bit of patience and if promotion doesn’t happen get behind him again next season, like they have this one.
I agree with you, Mickey. We have played 3 games against ‘lower’ opposition, scored 3 goals, 1 a penalty and 2 by a young first year professional. No evidence of where the goals are coming from.
You mention PACE; has anyone noticed any of our new players with decent pace? I should confess that I haven’t seen any of the 3 games. Don’t do ‘friendlies’.
Finally, it was of some concern to read that our defence was regularly outpaced by Torquay players.
It seems obvious that the ‘spine’ of the team has not been formed yet and that we desperately need a robust, experienced centre back.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Because friendlies are a con, like paying to go watch the outtakes of an upcoming film release but not the film, or paying for plastic bags while advertising the supermarket.

So the feeling is don't bother attending this season, consider coming back for 2020/21, things may have changed by then. Fair enough. A clear course of action at least.

All this 'I worry that others won't give him a chance, of course my jerk of the knee will only come when appropriate', way more fake.

Mar 23, 2008
I think it will be a mixed bag of a start with some early promise but also some frustrating defeats and fine tuning needed in defence. Think we will then settle, recruit in Jan and kick on. This seasons re-build remind me of 1996 and we all know how that ended, i reckon replicating that season and a play off win will be where we are.

Oct 20, 2015
I was tempted to vote 'mid table' but I decided on 'failed in the playoffs' instead. Yes, my glass is always half-empty.

But I'm a realist. On the plus side we have some interesting new signings, one very good new signing, and a loanee keeper who seems to have good pedigree. We've got Ryan Lowe who seems to be saying all the right things, and knows how to get a team promoted to L1.

On the other hand, we still have:

Canavan & Wootton. Neither set the world alight last season, and are regularly criticised for playing out of position and being too slow. RL's new system will depend on pace

Taylor. After a brief spell in the 17-18 season, Taylor has done very little to help his team. DA played him in 'super sub' role but I can't remember him scoring, let alone changing a game. Too injury-prone, as well.

Sarce. May have suited DA's defensive style but altogether too slow for a pacy attack-minded manager like RL. No doubting his commitment but lacks skill in placing a pass (or a shot).

ASB & Moore. I have a feeling RL is keeping them on in the hope they'll fit into the new system. Shown flashes of good play but missing that final ball, and fine ball control.

We also have Fletcher, Jephcott, Dyson on the books but I can't think of an occasion (where they got an opportunity to play) where they did enough to show they were worthy of a place in starting XI.

Can't fail to agree with others who have stated we need 3-4 more signings. I'd like another backup keeper (remember when we went through 7 keepers in a season?), big commanding CB, CF/striker and possibly another pacy winger capable of delivering a good cross. Inevitably some of these will be loanees.

Whether they'll come is another matter. We have 46 days until transfer deadline day of Monday 2 September.

Aug 5, 2016
jespafc":254a1dns said:

I agree, midtable I reckon. This is a young team, an unfamiliar team. Lowe deserves a season without pressure. We won't win the league playing sumptuous football like most expect anyway, I'm sure. If he develops some youngsters like Randell, Lolos, Cooper, Peck and Moore and we finish midtable, I wouldn't see it as a failure. It's a new team. There is still some deadwood for Lowe to clearout, there are players here that aren't here because he wants them here, players that are all wrong for his system, players that no other club wants so they can't be moved on. Fans need to appreciate that before they expect promotion from Ryan Lowe.

Aug 17, 2005
Dunno what they will do but put my normal accumulator bet on with them in it. this year just four fold with Torquay Sunderland Man City

Status
Not open for further replies.