EFL trophy game tonight | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

EFL trophy game tonight

Jul 14, 2008
Lundan Cabbie":1jwp1rai said:
SwimWithTheTide":1jwp1rai said:
Not while there's B teams in it. It's a mockery of our club. Rubber stamping our inferiority for the long term.

Say EFL clubs become dependent on the Prem's injection of cash to the Trophy (which I believe has increased, while solidarity payments were decreased? Can anyone clarify on that? So give with one hand, take with the other). Then in a couple of seasons time they go, hmm Pep and Klopp make a reasonable case for B teams. We would like to revisit the idea of them in the league structure, vote against and we'll withdrawn EFL Trophy payments, vote for and we'll increase. What then?

Okay, we're talking in hypotheticals, but it's not like they haven't got previous... EPPP anyone?

Do you really think that Guardiola and Klopp have that much influence over 92 (sadly 91 right now) chairmen? They might not even be employed in this country by then.

Why were the u23 sides permitted to enter the EFL Trophy? Money.

Why would u23 sides or B teams be permitted into the football league in future? By offering even more money.

Itā€™s not rocket science.

May 8, 2011
Herts_Green":s3pidv0i said:
Lundan Cabbie":s3pidv0i said:
SwimWithTheTide":s3pidv0i said:
Not while there's B teams in it. It's a mockery of our club. Rubber stamping our inferiority for the long term.

Say EFL clubs become dependent on the Prem's injection of cash to the Trophy (which I believe has increased, while solidarity payments were decreased? Can anyone clarify on that? So give with one hand, take with the other). Then in a couple of seasons time they go, hmm Pep and Klopp make a reasonable case for B teams. We would like to revisit the idea of them in the league structure, vote against and we'll withdrawn EFL Trophy payments, vote for and we'll increase. What then?

Okay, we're talking in hypotheticals, but it's not like they haven't got previous... EPPP anyone?

Do you really think that Guardiola and Klopp have that much influence over 92 (sadly 91 right now) chairmen? They might not even be employed in this country by then.

Why would u23 sides or B teams be permitted into the football league in future? By offering even more money.

So you think there are enough Chairmen/owners of EFL Clubs that will vote to have their Clubs relegated from the Football League to be replaced by B teams.
Iā€™m sure the National League teams would have to part of this decision as well.

Lundan Cabbie

āšŖļø Pasoti Visitor āšŖļø
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Herts_Green":3u8jtfs5 said:
Lundan Cabbie":3u8jtfs5 said:
SwimWithTheTide":3u8jtfs5 said:

Everyone blames the Premier League though when it was an EFL initiative who invited the category one academies to participate. I canā€™t see the EFL chairmen inviting B teams into the league structure. Turkeys wont vote for Christmas.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
You're right it was an EFL initiative, led by a man who was only ever interested in becoming the PL CEO, who sucked up to those clubs in an attempt to bolster his position with them.

At the same time dropping the teams he was meant to support into an addiction to PL handouts and then running away when he was getting found out.

Luckily he didn't get the PL CEO position as he would make things worse in the EFL.

But this format is a legacy to this fool's mismanagement of the EFL and should be scrapped (or returned to what it was before).

Jul 14, 2008
HC Green":t2qxsbsd said:
Herts_Green":t2qxsbsd said:
Lundan Cabbie":t2qxsbsd said:
SwimWithTheTide":t2qxsbsd said:

So you think there are enough Chairmen/owners of EFL Clubs that will vote to have their Clubs relegated from the Football League to be replaced by B teams.
Iā€™m sure the National League teams would have to part of this decision as well.

Of course enough chairmen would agree it if they were offered enough money to take the risk.

May 8, 2011
Herts_Green":ozpb9htt said:
HC Green":ozpb9htt said:
Herts_Green":ozpb9htt said:
Lundan Cabbie":ozpb9htt said:
SwimWithTheTide":ozpb9htt said:

Of course enough chairmen would agree it if they were offered enough money to take the risk.

So can you name the 37 Clubs that would vote to potentially lose their League Status and what guarantee would they have that the National League would accept them or would the National League have to be bribed as well?

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Remember League 3? A proposal was put forward for it to happen without reducing Football League clubs... Wake up.

Jan 12, 2011
Exiled in Cornwall
davie nine":1qyd7tot said:
Allanon":1qyd7tot said:
Lundan Cabbie":1qyd7tot said:
Dan Ellard":1qyd7tot said:
Sorry to repost this but in response to the above points it is worth noting what both Sunderland and Portsmouth did last season. Put a lot of effort into this competition, both reached the final, and both ended the season with a whimper losing in the playoffs having been in automatic promotion contention all year. If only their players were a bit fresher, say, if they'd played a few less games over the course of the season...

We need to prioritise the competitions that matter. The league, the FA Cup, and to an extent, the League Cup. This excuse for a tournament as a sly attempt by the EFL to integrate B teams into the league system should not even be considered. I'm delighted we're out. Now to concentrate on the competitions that matter.

Not somethimg that any Premier League club has EVER suggested. The EFL might think that this old FA idea might attract some PL cash but it's not something that top flight clubs are the slightest bit interested in.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... -league-b/
As Lundan Cabbie explained, there is no evident enthusiasm for this other than from Guardiola who seems to be a lone voice. The Telegraph article was 3 years ago.There is, obviously, very strong resistance from EFL clubs and their supporters and even if the idea was resurrected there is no chance that it would be agreed.
I donā€™t attend the EFL Trophy games but Argyle have used them to good effect and they enable players like Mike Cooper and Adam Randell to show their talents in comparison to Chelseaā€™s Academy players, for example.

Remind me...... How many seasons have B teams/u23 teams, been in the EFL trophy?

Lundan Cabbie

Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
SwimWithTheTide":1250ll3w said:
Remember League 3? A proposal was put forward for it to happen without reducing Football League clubs... Wake up.

Ya know, when people come up with ideas, that's all they are. Ideas! I don't ever recall it being anything more than that and certainly received no interest whatsoever.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
You mean like B teams entering a domestic cup competition? Yeah, nothing whatsoever.

We used to go toe to toe with your club. Now we could be subject to playing their academy. It's nothing shy of embarrassing. Put yourself in the reverse situation, how would you feel if you went the way of Blackburn or Sunderland and ended up playing Brighton U23s in this?

The competition is an enemy of English Football. Tolerance of any kind will be, and has been, twisted.

Lundan Cabbie

Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
SwimWithTheTide":2pndbeb4 said:
You mean like B teams entering a domestic cup competition? Yeah, nothing whatsoever.

We used to go toe to toe with your club. Now we could be subject to playing their academy. It's nothing shy of embarrassing. Put yourself in the reverse situation, how would you feel if you went the way of Blackburn or Sunderland and ended up playing Brighton U23s in this?

The competition is an enemy of English Football. Tolerance of any kind will be, and has been, twisted.

We (Palace) used to go toe to toe with Exeter and Torquay and Argyle were the much bigger club 60 years ago but thatā€™s immaterial. You wonā€™t be meeting us in the EFL Trophy because we donā€™t qualify to be invited because itā€™s not open to Premier League clubs. It is open to category A academies and we ainā€™t one of those.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
You missed my point, deliberately or otherwise.

To be honest, I've missed yours too I think, if you've be attempting to make one?

Lundan Cabbie

Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I have never said that this competition isn't unsavoury. I have just said that this isn't the thin end of the wedge towards B teams in the league structure as some scaremongers want people to believe.