Defending corners | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Defending corners

Jun 11, 2012
Nobby":1794qpao said:
From another corner, we did exactly the same and broke all the way down the pitch and won a corner. Swings and roundabouts. Plus, what do Macca and Paris offer defensively from a corner? Not a lot...
Exactly.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
I've never understood the need to have everyone back in the box, if the ball is cleared, there is no one to compete for it and it comes straight back.

Fletch has played the game at a very high level and obviously he is drawing on that experience in deciding on how many to leave up.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
On Saturday, Fletch played a very positive game from start to finish. Playing down slope in the first half would mean any clearing headers are assisted by the slope to be further than normal. Having 2 attacking players outside the box when 2-0 up showed the intent to get more goals. At half time Andres came on for Mad Joe possibly because Andres being smaller/lighter it wouldn't be so hard to drag himself up the slope.

In the end we won 1-4 so why the complaints. Why when being positive instead of defending in numbers should anyone complain.

It's been normal practise for Argyle when 1-0 up to try and defend in numbers and park the bus. If this shows that we have nothing to fear by going forward than more of it please.

I know we were playing Barnet and I know their record thus far has been shocking. Just like us last season and nobody refused the three points on offer then. :scarf:

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
Balham_Green":3sjwxyi0 said:
Argyle1886":3sjwxyi0 said:
Balham_Green":3sjwxyi0 said:
I was very surprised when Barnet got their corner from which they scored and we kept 2 players on the half way line. How many other teams would do that away from home and 2.0 up. And it cost us. Managerial inexperience I would say, again.

Have you ever played football?

Yes thanks, quite regularly. I assume you haven't.

As a defender (in lower league football), the opposition leaving two attackers on the half way line is a difficult prospect.

All it takes is a hoof with no skill or vision whatsoever, and either of their strikers can be in one on one - Torres away at Barca in the 2nd leg being a great example. Unless you have the pace of Matthias Doumbe to sort it out. I personally don't, many defenders don't.

So the defending team then needs 3 players to deal with it - one on each man, and another infront to mop up the stray balls. And as in this case Barnet need 3 to counter balance 2, Argyle in theory still has one extra player, man for man, to defend the corner.

If Argyle put that striker or winger in the box, say Cowan Hall, then his defender comes with him to attack the corner/set piece. You really think that's a better strategy when PCH is about 5' 7"?

Aug 24, 2005
PCH scored with his head from a corner didn't he?

So he has the ability to get in front of his man and win the ball at a corner.

I like the positivity of two left upfield, but I take BG's point that the more bodies there are in the box (in total, from either team) the less likely it is that anyone will get a clear sight of goal.

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
I guess it's horses for courses to some extent, but I hate it when we have everyone back for a corner. As mentioned above, if the ball is cleared and stays in play it just comes straight back. Leaving at least one up is way better, especially if they're pacey (can run on to the clearance) and small (not so useful at defending a corner).

The problems start if you want to leave players on the line (which is often a good idea) so the fewer players you have back the higher the oppositions ratio is.

Generally, though, leaving two up as Fletch did on Saturday gets a big :thumbup: from me.

A

Argyle1886

Balham_Green":2ng1l7ii said:
Argyle1886":2ng1l7ii said:
Balham_Green":2ng1l7ii said:
I was very surprised when Barnet got their corner from which they scored and we kept 2 players on the half way line. How many other teams would do that away from home and 2.0 up. And it cost us. Managerial inexperience I would say, again.

Play for Argyle youth buddy :thumbup:

Jul 6, 2011
Ade the green":32ez89kj said:
On Saturday, Fletch played a very positive game from start to finish. Playing down slope in the first half would mean any clearing headers are assisted by the slope to be further than normal. Having 2 attacking players outside the box when 2-0 up showed the intent to get more goals. At half time Andres came on for Mad Joe possibly because Andres being smaller/lighter it wouldn't be so hard to drag himself up the slope.

In the end we won 1-4 so why the complaints. Why when being positive instead of defending in numbers should anyone complain.

It's been normal practise for Argyle when 1-0 up to try and defend in numbers and park the bus. If this shows that we have nothing to fear by going forward than more of it please.

I know we were playing Barnet and I know their record thus far has been shocking. Just like us last season and nobody refused the three points on offer then. :scarf:

There's a simply answer to that, it's just another excuse to have a pop at Fletcher.
Pathetic I know, but check out the original poster....

Jun 24, 2008
What right have you got to say he's inexperienced on a decision like this..1. Other managers do this too depending on the moment of the game...2. What makes you more experienced to have a better judgement on this.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
i noticed when Lennox played the other week that, when we had a goal kick, all players were bunched over to one side but Lennox hugged the opposite line in absolutely hectares of space. that is another 'tactic'that i don't get :think: all the players bunched in a strip to one side of the centre circle. why? but everyone does it.

surely doing a few 'unexpected' things keeps the opposition on the hop?

i think there is room in the game for someone like Lennox to play wide and completely hug the line but, when we lose a goal he and Fletcfh get ro0asted for not 'tracking back' or not 'working hard enough'

play at least one wide man! scares their back players and ties them up :scarf:

Sep 6, 2006
briangreen":c97x1b50 said:
Ade the green":c97x1b50 said:

There's a simply answer to that, it's just another excuse to have a pop at Fletcher.
Pathetic I know, but check out the original poster....

Sorry to say this Brian Green but you really do need to grow up, respect debate and be a bit more open minded. Basically you are saying that we are not allowed to comment negatively, or even raise questions, on any aspect of the team's performance. I dont know why you bother on this site. You seem to live in a wonderful 'make believe' world which most people left when they started Infants school.

Sep 6, 2006
macleanie":xs2nbs9q said:
What right have you got to say he's inexperienced on a decision like this..1. Other managers do this too depending on the moment of the game...2. What makes you more experienced to have a better judgement on this.

Did I say I was more experienced? I said more experienced managers dont do it. Give me an example of who does it and when then?
The fact of the matter is it didn't work, we conceded, they were allowed 2 attempts at goal from the same corner and if they had been a better side we could have let them back into game. Not complicated is it?

Sep 6, 2006
Argyle1886":25fcib3q said:
Balham_Green":25fcib3q said:
Argyle1886":25fcib3q said:
Balham_Green":25fcib3q said:

Play for Argyle youth buddy :thumbup:

So does that mean you are superior to the rest of then sunshine, does it? I mean Argyle youth is hardly Barcelona is it?

Sep 6, 2006
Decided to revive this thread as it appears we yet again conceded from a corner last night. Whether we kept 2 up or not( i dont know) we are obviously getting something wrong. Sturrocks teams very rarely conceded from set pieces(and they kept all 11 back for corners!!!).