DA really got under Pompey's skin | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

DA really got under Pompey's skin

chave

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Mar 15, 2017
Prince_Maurice":33l3dowz said:
With Pompey it's all about being the South Coast top dogs. Over the years they have had many posts on their Forums going on and on about it.

Now for most of memorable history it's been between them and Southampton for the top spot and that's where the vitriol has been directed. However they are now firmly behind Southampton, Bournemouth and Brighton (all their closet South Coast neighbours) so that's why they are so desperate to finish above us, so as they are not the bottom South Coast club and hence we are now the object of their passionate dis-pleasure as the afore mentioned are well out of their sights.

In fact to prevent this occurring on some Pompey threads they now consider our dear friends up the road to be classed as being on the South Coast just to prevent them being bottom of their weird mini-league. I myself have never classed Exeter to be a seaside resort and probably neither has anybody from Exeter! They must be gutted TUFC went non-League!!
I don't think anyone on the blue side considers Plymouth to be south coast rivals. Any rivalry is purely based on how evenly matched we've been for the last three years.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Problem with teams like Pompey and Leeds is they live off there history thinking they’re deserving of success because they’re had it before.

Grotesque way off thinking. You deserve what you’ve earned at the time in football. History is just that, history.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
This may be controversial, but I think Portsmouth are a fantastic club, with a fantastic old ground and mostly great fans (prefer them to Southampton) and I’ve loved these Argyle-Pompey battles. Taking the pee out of them singing ‘Champions’ amuses me a little as we’d be doing exactly the same had we won the title at their expense. It’s what football fans do.

Am I doing this right?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I agree about the club and its fans, but I do think the Champions thing (particularly at Fratton Park) was cringeworthy.

As for you Tuggers, I feel 'superior' when playing teams like Morecambe, Crawley and Stevenage so I sort of get where they're coming from.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
IJN":2l9g3ggn said:
I agree about the club and its fans, but I do think the Champions thing (particularly at Fratton Park) was cringeworthy.

As for you Tuggers, I feel 'superior' when playing teams like Morecambe, Crawley and Stevenage so I sort of get where they're coming from.

As I do BUT it still warrants respect and attitude to get a result. Some times teams (UTD/WBA) turn up and expect a result because of who they are and who they are playing.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Do Pompey really just turn up and expect to win? I don’t think so, especially as we’ve beaten them so many times now.

They were playing AC Milan and winning the FA Cup within the last decade, so I don’t have much of a problem if they’re a bit arrogant. Thinking your club, team and city is better than your rivals is part of being a fan.

Getting wound up by that is what they want :thumbsup:

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Didn’t mean the players so much, more so the supporters

chave":16111hid said:
I don't think anyone on the blue side considers Plymouth to be south coast rivals. Any rivalry is purely based on how evenly matched we've been for the last three years.
chave":16111hid said:
For the comments, Evans is one of our more passionate players, so not surprised he came out with the comments. He's taken on the fans dislike of Southampton, so I'm sure he's done the same with Argyle.
So do Pompey fans dislike us or not?

chave

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Mar 15, 2017
Again, personal opinion - we have a rivalry based on recent competition, not on location. I don't dislike Plymouth, although I appreciate you as a good pantomime villain to boo when I get the chance. I imagine Evans has a dislike for Adams on a more personal level based on the last few years and the rivalry between Adams and Cook.

I imagine it's the same for us as it is for you - rivalry for now, but in ten years time you'll still be hating Exeter and largely forgotten about us.

May 16, 2016
chave":1pmh7bsr said:
Again, personal opinion - we have a rivalry based on recent competition, not on location. I don't dislike Plymouth, although I appreciate you as a good pantomime villain to boo when I get the chance. I imagine Evans has a dislike for Adams on a more personal level based on the last few years and the rivalry between Adams and Cook.

I imagine it's the same for us as it is for you - rivalry for now, but in ten years time you'll still be hating Exeter and largely forgotten about us.

Probably true, but I'd expect you to get back in the League eventually.

Jul 29, 2010
chave":byespop0 said:

So not a rivalry based on the dockyard and Navy then?

So our forefathers weren't writing abuse to each other on parts and munitions as far back as the world wars then?

Ten years my 'arris. Spoken like a true snowflake millenial... history didn't start until the internet was created and Plymouth and Pompey didn't have a rivalry until Paul Cook took over as your manager :roll:

Mar 1, 2005
Southampton
I have lived in Southampton for a while but have never taken to the football team. I think it because I dislike the feeling that I get of the fans arrogance in believing that they have a right to top flight football because of how big they think they are, when I know that this is not correct and they have no right to be top flight over anyone else. Because my blood stayed undiluted green when I moved here, I have been able I think to understand the rivalry with Portsmouth a bit better. Pompey have a hatred of that arrogance that pervades out of St Mary’s. The Saints fans KNOW that they are better than Pompey and it winds Pompey fans up something chronic as they are unable to challenge it. What it has created in Pompey is an inferiority complex I think. They sort of know that Saints are better than them, but can’t accept this idea that Southampton have a right to this status, which is the certain way that Saints fans treat them. This inferiority complex that they have causes them to lash out at any other club that challenges them on equal terms. Winning the league by goal difference gives them an excuse to attack and feel better about themselves far above the reality of it. It means that they aren’t inferior to us in their eyes despite our recent successes over them when it was actually important. They don’t hate us; they just can’t accept anything that makes them look inferior to us.

Oct 31, 2015
Biggs":1ufbp6vz said:
This may be controversial, but I think Portsmouth are a fantastic club, with a fantastic old ground and mostly great fans (prefer them to Southampton) and I’ve loved these Argyle-Pompey battles. Taking the pee out of them singing ‘Champions’ amuses me a little as we’d be doing exactly the same had we won the title at their expense. It’s what football fans do.

Am I doing this right?

Yep agree with Biggs on this. Good club, good old ground and great rivalry over the past few seasons. We would have been the same in their position if we had that additional point at the end.

Have to say it does not rankle me though that they pipped us because all I wanted was promotion. I had even forgotten til they chanted on Saturday.

DA knows what he is saying and doing which is a laugh.

More seasons of the PFKs against the greens I say

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Biggs":3w176tcj said:

Am I doing this right?
:iagree: