Cyrille Regis | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Cyrille Regis

Sep 6, 2006
memory man":2f2il5uu said:
James_Dennis":2f2il5uu said:
Presto":2f2il5uu said:
I do not recall Cyrille Regis ever playing for Argyle. I certainly remember Dave Maclaren in goal but pretty certain Regis was not on our books at that time.

He was very talented player and man and it was good that all our fans showed our respect on Saturday. I think Argyle can hold its head high as having one of the first black players on their books in Jack Leslie - at the time the only black player in the English league.

....who it is believed might have received an England call-up but for the colour of his skin.
Argyle definitely received notice that Leslie had been selected to play against Scotland at Wembley. The club secretary felt it would be wise to inform the FA that Mr Leslie was black. The man at the FA immediately told the Argyle official that the invitation was withdrawn. It was another 40 years before Viv Anderson became the first black player to play for the full England team.

Hardly to believe isnt it ? We have come far in some ways. Perhaps the Argyle sec should not have informed them. ..

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Interesting thought BG; wouldn’t that have been great, and (potentially) very historic! I guess it’s quite possible, given the climate of the time, that the sec/Argyle did it as much to “protect” JL as anyone else.

That Argyle employed him anyway at that time ( seemingly) speaks well of our attitude.
As you say, indeed hard to believe, & “we” have come far- unfortunately still further progress to make in some respects though, sorry to say.

G

Greenskin

Lundan Cabbie":w1rz3f24 said:
Presto":w1rz3f24 said:
memory man":w1rz3f24 said:
James_Dennis":w1rz3f24 said:
Presto":w1rz3f24 said:
I do not recall Cyrille Regis ever playing for Argyle. I certainly remember Dave Maclaren in goal but pretty certain Regis was not on our books at that time.

He was very talented player and man and it was good that all our fans showed our respect on Saturday. I think Argyle can hold its head high as having one of the first black players on their books in Jack Leslie - at the time the only black player in the English league.

....who it is believed might have received an England call-up but for the colour of his skin.
Argyle definitely received notice that Leslie had been selected to play against Scotland at Wembley. The club secretary felt it would be wise to inform the FA that Mr Leslie was black. The man at the FA immediately told the Argyle official that the invitation was withdrawn. It was another 40 years before Viv Anderson became the first black player to play for the full England team.

A very sad reflection on the powers that were running football at that time. At least Argyle recognised the lads talent regardless of his skin colour and he was great player for us.

It seems incredible now to think that players got selected for England without being watched by any of the selection committee otherwise such a fact would be known to them. I guess that's the nearest Argyle have ever got to having a full England international representative.

There were quite a few who made it after they left Argyle-David Jack,Raymond Bowden,Gordan Astall and Paul Mariner spring to mind.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Greenskin":89ahyuae said:
Lundan Cabbie":89ahyuae said:
Presto":89ahyuae said:
memory man":89ahyuae said:
James_Dennis":89ahyuae said:
Presto":89ahyuae said:

A very sad reflection on the powers that were running football at that time. At least Argyle recognised the lads talent regardless of his skin colour and he was great player for us.

It seems incredible now to think that players got selected for England without being watched by any of the selection committee otherwise such a fact would be known to them. I guess that's the nearest Argyle have ever got to having a full England international representative.

There were quite a few who made it after they left Argyle-David Jack,Raymond Bowden,Gordan Astall and Paul Mariner spring to mind.

Indeed so. Didn't Mike Bassett pick an Argyle player? ;)

Sep 6, 2006
Two in Bassetts team written on back of fag packet! 2 fat blokes turned up. Lambert and Butler from Plymouth Argyle.