Coventry City under EFL pressure | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Coventry City under EFL pressure

Aug 17, 2005
Surely if they can't play in league one for the reasons they will not be able.to play in league 2 either and possibly will have to play in the vanarama league till they have sorted the ground issues

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
I'm not sure how much say the council had in the "Wasps" move.

The stadium was owned 50/50 between Coventry Council and a Business/Charity trust. That trust sold its 50% ownership to Wasps directly - (CCFC have never to my knowledge ever looked to buy the Ricoh and were happy just to rent) - therefore Wasps are legitimate users and part owners of the Ricoh.

The football club (in all the tales i'm told) have always looked to hold the council to ransom, using the "you need us" philosophy. As usual the football owners want as much as possible for as little as possible. The council and Wasps have agreed what they see as a fair rental (i dont know the figure to say if it is or isn't) and CCFC have said they cant/wont pay it.

Hence the stalemate, but Wasps are more than passing tenants.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Good job Coventry will finish the season....if they hadn't and had their playing record erased, it would have cost us 3pts from our total.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Voice_of_Reason":1vm88cxr said:
I'm not sure how much say the council had in the "Wasps" move.

The stadium was owned 50/50 between Coventry Council and a Business/Charity trust. That trust sold its 50% ownership to Wasps directly - (CCFC have never to my knowledge ever looked to buy the Ricoh and were happy just to rent) - therefore Wasps are legitimate users and part owners of the Ricoh.

The football club (in all the tales i'm told) have always looked to hold the council to ransom, using the "you need us" philosophy. As usual the football owners want as much as possible for as little as possible. The council and Wasps have agreed what they see as a fair rental (i dont know the figure to say if it is or isn't) and CCFC have said they cant/wont pay it.

Hence the stalemate, but Wasps are more than passing tenants.

Find this a bit strange when MK 'Franchise' Dons get big stick on here, yet it is ok/acceptable for a RFC to move from London to Coventry and be 'legitimate users'?? :think:

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
When I used the,word legitimate I was doing it to explain they have paid their way. I don't agree with moving around. But from a legal point of view Wasps are legimate in there use of the Ricoh. Their owner bought in. CCFC have opted not to buy in but don't want to deal with the landlord.
Morally of course their are questions. Financially and in the world we live in CCFC are on shaky ground as the council and Wasps hold the aces.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
David_Fisher":3lncvqr2 said:
I wonder what Coventry did with the money they presumably got for selling their Highfield Road ground?

They sold Highfield Road around 1998 for just £4m and took up a lease with the new owners to remain there whilst building a new home. However they had done this without securing planning permission for their new location. There were set backs after set backs and Coventry City were relegated from the Premier League with the project still on the planning desk but they were now carrying colossal debts.

The council took over the project and revealed plans to build a 90,000 National stadium but that fell through when it was decided that Wembley would remain the National Stadium. The council's Plan B was a 45,000 stadium as part of the bid for the 2006 World Cup but that of course went to the Germans. Plan C was what is there now, at a cost of over £100 million and opened 7 years after CCFC had jumped the gun in cashing in Highfield Road for just £4 million.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I liked Highfield Road as well, a proper old school ground. Rough as rats around it though.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Coventry face an EFL Extraordinary General Meeting tomorrow.

Will be interesting to see what results. Personally, I would be surprised if any really punitive measures are taken against them. Read somewhere the 6 mile radius requirement may be relaxed but no indication of whether a ground share might be confirmed soon.