Club site posting an Advert as "Club News". Lawful? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Club site posting an Advert as "Club News". Lawful?

Mar 1, 2005
Southampton
Guiri Green":p8uh422y said:
Well, after drinking 8 Pints of the stuff, I'm still sh8te at Football. Maybe the OP has a point ?
Yeah but think of all that extra work you can do, and extra money you can earn, now that you only need a couple of hours of sleep each night. And, it’s all down to the club promoting their favourite energy drink. Good times.

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
I’m sure that the news item was sold as part of the ‘Partnership ‘ deal. When I was editing magazines, the advertising sales team were always trying to get extra exposure for their clients in the form of not very interesting news stories and advertorials. It was always a battle- which the sales team seem to be winning.
I applaud the commercial department for the success they are having in boosting club income.

Aug 5, 2005
Southampton Green":3ry1z1vh said:
It’s just a Society thing. If business is allowed to slip in subliminal advertising or present adverts that hide that they are adverts by pretending to be something else, we start to live in a different society where ultimately the rich and powerful can manipulate everyone else. It’s the basis of a Liberal Democracy, and why the rules are there. Small steps that erode a liberal society mean extremely little in themselves, as in Argyle presenting a feature on the supplier of our energy drinks that is really an advert for the supplier if you watch it with an open mind, but ultimately if we (the club) financially benefit from the News Feature (either because the club get cheaper energy drinks because we ran the news story that is really an advert, or the supplier has paid us to run this advert pretending to be a News Story) then the club is trying to manipulate the people watching the News Story. Just a basic point really, but it is intellectually wrong to allow extremely small wrongs to pass by if they can become really big wrongs if everyone was doing it.

Have you just woken up for a coma since the 1970s?

This happens everywhere. It would be part of the sponsorship deal.

You seriously want to report the club? You'd have to report pretty much every commercial organisation with an internet presence.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Anyone who wants to report the club seriously needs to have a good look at themselves. Supporters my arse.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Phenomgate!

I think it was he that reported PAFC to Trading Standards.

That caused a right ruckus on here. Must have been about 12 years ago.

Mar 1, 2005
Southampton
Quizmike":wpruyl3j said:
Southampton Green":wpruyl3j said:
It’s just a Society thing. If business is allowed to slip in subliminal advertising or present adverts that hide that they are adverts by pretending to be something else, we start to live in a different society where ultimately the rich and powerful can manipulate everyone else. It’s the basis of a Liberal Democracy, and why the rules are there. Small steps that erode a liberal society mean extremely little in themselves, as in Argyle presenting a feature on the supplier of our energy drinks that is really an advert for the supplier if you watch it with an open mind, but ultimately if we (the club) financially benefit from the News Feature (either because the club get cheaper energy drinks because we ran the news story that is really an advert, or the supplier has paid us to run this advert pretending to be a News Story) then the club is trying to manipulate the people watching the News Story. Just a basic point really, but it is intellectually wrong to allow extremely small wrongs to pass by if they can become really big wrongs if everyone was doing it.

You seriously want to report the club? You'd have to report pretty much every commercial organisation with an internet presence.

I’ve just seen product placement on Coronation Street, so I suppose you are right, this now happens everywhere. I am not sure that it’s been this way since the 1970s though. I thought that something happened last year when an advertiser was told by the ASA to mark their Advert as “This is an Advert” because they’d gone too far in making it look like it wasn’t an advert, and that was 2018.
With this energy drink I am probably a bit over sensitive to it as I love the club and a bit disappointed that a club that I trust and support is trying to deceive me, may be.

No, there’s no way that I would report my club to the ASA. The formal part of it is between the club and the ASA, nothing to do with me. And, what would be the point of me spending as much money as I can at Argyle if my money just goes into paying an ASA Fine instead of going into the club?

Any way I hope that that might answer your questions. (My health has been fine since the 1970s, no comas, thank you for asking.)

Aug 5, 2005
Southampton Green":1f8hmoul said:
Quizmike":1f8hmoul said:
Southampton Green":1f8hmoul said:

I’ve just seen product placement on Coronation Street, so I suppose you are right, this now happens everywhere. I am not sure that it’s been this way since the 1970s though. I thought that something happened last year when an advertiser was told by the ASA to mark their Advert as “This is an Advert” because they’d gone too far in making it look like it wasn’t an advert, and that was 2018.
With this energy drink I am probably a bit over sensitive to it as I love the club and a bit disappointed that a club that I trust and support is trying to deceive me, may be.

No, there’s no way that I would report my club to the ASA. The formal part of it is between the club and the ASA, nothing to do with me. And, what would be the point of me spending as much money as I can at Argyle if my money just goes into paying an ASA Fine instead of going into the club?

Any way I hope that that might answer your questions. (My health has been fine since the 1970s, no comas, thank you for asking.)

I'm very happy to hear that :)