Church out for season | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Church out for season

Sometimes things don't work out, unfortunately, but I think it's a little harsh to be critical of Derek Adams saying that he signed a dud. Given we're light in choices of forward players (see issues when Taylor's not fit), if the offer comes up of an international striker on a free transfer, at the time, I don't think any one of us would've turned it down. Coupled with the fact that he had trained with Argyle before Scunthorpe took him on a short term deal. If the news is true that he's retiring over the summer, that's a shame. I'd give him the option of a pre-season to get fit and you might see a different player come August.

M

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
Damned if you do....

We needed a striker as cover and got one,,when he chose Scunthorpe before us it was an issue for some here because we were clearly not pushing the boat out....now we have him and its a bridge to far....

We don't know there isn't an element of pay as you play.....but even so it seems to show how far we have come that signing a recent International is somehow beneath us...

It is a shame but injuries happen in football.....Shrewsbury may have lost Nsiala for a while.....Charlton lost Fosu and Mvdidi and several others....

I hope Church recovers and then Derek will decide what he wants going forward....no pun intended

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
PL2 3DQ":1whixzi7 said:
Nardiello played 32 minutes for Argyle. :)

Did he? I must have missed that, I saw him run on a few times.

:greensmile:

Beyton Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 19, 2005
FattyBolger":1nf3sqyt said:
Yep. File under "Dud. See Cifci"

..........Nardiello, West, Beglin, Cooper, Griffiths, MacLean, Chadwick, Swan...................

TJH

Feb 1, 2018
Would be interesting to know what other strikers we were in for. Church having an injury interrupted spell was always more likely than not. Two very poor transfer windows from a striking perspective - thankfully we did a lot better in the other areas of the team

Apr 9, 2011
Poor signing , he came with a poor fitness record & was a gamble that didn't pay off. The critical thing is he was signed for cover if anything happened to Taylor which unfortunately has, now leaving us stuffed.

Aug 10, 2006
complete waste of money even if he had been fit a shirt filler that's all he was like blissett a complete waste of money.

Jan 27, 2012
I get the impression that the money wasnt available to sign a better standard of competition for Taylor- Church was cheap and available, and so Adams signed him. It might have been a case of bringing in Church or no-one, so in that sense it was probably a risk worth taking.

Sep 13, 2003
Beyton_Green":235o4j8e said:
FattyBolger":235o4j8e said:
Yep. File under "Dud. See Cifci"

..........Nardiello, West, Beglin, Cooper, Griffiths, MacLean, Chadwick, Swan...................

Chadwick doesn't deserve to be in that list. At the start of the 2005/06 season he scored the last minute winner at Reading, then was all over Watford in that thrilling 3-3 draw three days later before getting injured and missing a large chunk of the season. When he returned from injury, he just wasn't the same player.

His 2nd spell was the spark we needed to stay up when Fletcher took over. Argyle looked doomed to non league under Reid's leadership.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
gaspargomez":19npe9bj said:
I get the impression that the money wasnt available to sign a better standard of competition for Taylor- Church was cheap and available, and so Adams signed him. It might have been a case of bringing in Church or no-one, so in that sense it was probably a risk worth taking.

There would be two reasons why money wasn't available. 1) we had to spend it on goalkeepers, 2) Adams had wasted it on the likes of Ciftci, Miller and Wylde.

Also need to remember that we were in for 2 from West Ham at the time but only one came.

Oct 31, 2015
gaspargomez":3cmutwse said:

I think after the January off load with little coming in and business not completed last summer there was/is money left in the budget but DA missed out oh his targets because
A They were offered more money elsewhere
B Location put them off.

I do think we should have kept Spencer to be honest. I reckon Church is not even at the club anymore but could be wrong.

I suspect DA has gone in hard with his demands for next season considering he had money left. He will never get what he has asked for but he will have a sum in mind as we all do when we go for money from our bosses.