Changing careers | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Changing careers

American Pilgrim

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Mar 18, 2023
USA
How has this worked out for those on here who have done it?If you don't mind sharing but in no way have to,what is your current career and are you happy in it?

I have been a teacher for several years now at the middle school level(6th-8th grades)and I have enjoyed it immensely but I think it is time for me to look for pastures new if you will.

I have a Master's degree in psychology and I really want to become involved with scientific/psychological studies in a college setting.Have always been fascinated with study groups and such.A research assistant position is open near me and I feel confident I can get it while working on a doctorate.

So in essence still be in education per say but not totally.

Thought long and hard about this and think it's the best move for me.

Jan 12, 2020
I'm retired now, but I changed career twice. I was a teacher, left it to work in the Computer industry, then after a few years went back to teaching. In my case I think I never really found what you might call the perfect job for me (if there was such a thing!)
My advice to you would be ... go for it, but make sure you've thought through the pros and cons. I think maybe if you don't, you may look back and think "what if?".
Hope that helps.

Reactions: American Pilgrim

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
Hi @American Pilgrim, I was a teacher too and swapped careers.

So just a little bit of advice, If you may permit me to drop some….leaving teaching is quite difficult, well I found it difficult anyway.

After having a routine of 5 lessons a day, 150 kids a day, these are your set break and lunch times, this is your set holiday etc, I found it hard to have a little bit of ‘freedom’. It took me a long while to get used to that.

Good luck in your change. It’s definitely a challenge but it can be worth it in the long run.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
I was an investment banker with JP Morgan Chase. Loads of money…hated it. At 45 I was made redundant and had the opportunity to take a similar job immediately. I turned it down took a few months off and retrained as a sports massage therapist . That was 21 years ago…in financial terms I am poorer but by every other measure I am richer. People talk about change but very few follow through either because of fear of change or a reluctance to give up ‘stuff’ (big house, expensive car, holidays). Hope you make that change rather than live with regret.

PutneyPete

♣️ PASALB Member
Jun 23, 2005
London (Putney)
Go for it!

I have never grown up and decided what I want to do - until now, when I've realised I want to be what I am now ...

Retired! 😊

I used to change direction / career about every 8 to 10 years
I was a bookkeeper / playwright / estate agent / writer of training material / eLearning instructional designer and Project manager.

Made redundant so many times. You just have to pick yourself up and keep applying for jobs.
Towards my 50s, I was worried that, because I changed direction so many times, employers would not be impressed that I had not made one choice and stuck with it.
But, when I mentioned this in an interview, the interviewer said "No, quite the opposite. It shows us that you are adaptable."

So Go for it! Best of luck

BDW

Apr 15, 2023
I have had many career changes. Some good,some bad. I would say never fear change it adds to life’s rich tapestry and provides a breadth of experience.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
I went into insurance straight from school and spent over 30 years in claims and accident investigation. In my 40s I discovered acting, and spent my spare time working with various different community companies, in and around Plymouth. It became my passion. So much so that I eventually decided to 'chuck in' a perfectly secure and well-paid job to, effectively, 'run away with the circus'.

I auditioned for several drama schools and was offered a place at East 15, in Essex. I started there at the age of 52. One year later I was in receipt of a Masters degree in acting and I had been taken on by an agent. I have worked on and off (as is the case in my profession) ever since, in productions as far flung as Sweden, Germany and Hong Kong. I have also done UK tours, pantos ('Oh, yes I have!') and worked in the West End.

Contrary to popular opinion, the life of a jobbing actor is not at all glamorous (and certainly not well paid!) but you get to work with really lovely people and nothing matches the buzz of performing on stage to a receptive audience. I moved back home (Devon will always be home) a few years ago and cut back on the touring (a young person's game). Working in the West End is also out of the equation - the commute would be challenging! ;)

I still take on whatever acting jobs are feasible, however, and I currently do improvised role playing as part of the training programme for NHS medical students. Very rewarding. The beauty of being an actor is that you never have to retire, however old you become, your 'parts' just get smaller... :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, leaving my comfort zone was scary but I did not want to look back on my life with regrets. I chose to follow my dream, and instead of it going all Pete Tong (which it could well have!) I can honestly say that it is the best move I have ever made. For anyone having similar thoughts - at whatever life stage - my unequivocal advice would be 'Go for it!'. What could possibly go wrong? ;)

Bernie Bernbaum

Pasoti Quiz Champions
May 29, 2015
I went from an IT office worker (30 years) to being a postie out in all weathers. Preferred the latter!