Champions League | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Champions League

Sep 6, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":3slrg47p said:
Balham_Green":3slrg47p said:
Lundan Cabbie":3slrg47p said:
It is funny that there is distain on here for Premier League clubs who are seen as being greedy because they felt that it was right that they keep the majority of the money that they generate.

Go to the iFollow thread and there is a belief that it is correct that Argyle get the majority of the income from sales to the Green Army both home and away.

Are these both not the same principle?

Not really like for like is it? Argyle hardly have the riches of this biggest clubs

I did say the principle, not the value.

You'll all love the Premier League when Argyle get there. I wasn't keen before my lot got there and managed to stay there.

For one more season anyway. I suspect they have out-stayed their welcome.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Balham_Green":22kzk6vi said:
Lundan Cabbie":22kzk6vi said:
Balham_Green":22kzk6vi said:
Lundan Cabbie":22kzk6vi said:
It is funny that there is distain on here for Premier League clubs who are seen as being greedy because they felt that it was right that they keep the majority of the money that they generate.

Go to the iFollow thread and there is a belief that it is correct that Argyle get the majority of the income from sales to the Green Army both home and away.

Are these both not the same principle?

Not really like for like is it? Argyle hardly have the riches of this biggest clubs

I did say the principle, not the value.

You'll all love the Premier League when Argyle get there. I wasn't keen before my lot got there and managed to stay there.

For one more season anyway. I suspect they have out-stayed their welcome.

You've been reading too many Palace websites. That's a very popular opinion.

Feb 14, 2007
Taunton
Balham_Green":3e9owzsy said:
davie nine":3e9owzsy said:
Raheem Sterling, Kyle Walker, Phil Foden.
How many Brits have Lyon or Bayern Munich got?

3 players. Hardly an English team is it? Plus foreign manager and foreign owned.
I don't care anyway Davie. I hate the Premiership concept. The greed and arrogance of the clubs and fans, especially the Big 4 or 5.The domination by a small number of teams financed by immoral regimes. The damage until recently done to the international team with lack of opportunities for English players. The disdain for lower League clubs as we are seeing with the current pandemic.I will always support foreign club teams over that every time even if they are almost as bad.
Come on Lyon!

Davie nine, you forgot to mention Stones, Doyle and Harwood-Bellis, who all made appearances for City this season. City had 6 English players in a 26 man squad. Lyon had 8 French in a 32 man squad, hardly any difference.

Bayern Munich though are a great example of fielding their own. But let's not pretend they don't also spend way more than any other club in Germany, along with Dortmund, and let's also not forget that Bayern have dominated the Bundesliga for some time now because of their financial backing. Infact, Bayern have the sixth highest wage bill in the world, with City only two places higher and spending only £23m more (£315m compared to £292m). Only three of Munich's last nine managers have been German. Five of Man City's last nine have been British.

But yeah, let's cheer on any team Man City face because they play in a league that we all want Argyle to reach :think:

And how you laughed at Sterling for missing, who might have his confidence dented because of that, yet you support England who he plays for...

Sep 6, 2006
Whelan11":1kpd9w3d said:
Balham_Green":1kpd9w3d said:
davie nine":1kpd9w3d said:

3 players. Hardly an English team is it? Plus foreign manager and foreign owned.
I don't care anyway Davie. I hate the Premiership concept. The greed and arrogance of the clubs and fans, especially the Big 4 or 5.The domination by a small number of teams financed by immoral regimes. The damage until recently done to the international team with lack of opportunities for English players. The disdain for lower League clubs as we are seeing with the current pandemic.I will always support foreign club teams over that every time even if they are almost as bad.
Come on Lyon!

Davie nine, you forgot to mention Stones, Doyle and Harwood-Bellis, who all made appearances for City this season. City had 6 English players in a 26 man squad. Lyon had 8 French in a 32 man squad, hardly any difference.

Bayern Munich though are a great example of fielding their own. But let's not pretend they don't also spend way more than any other club in Germany, along with Dortmund, and let's also not forget that Bayern have dominated the Bundesliga for some time now because of their financial backing. Infact, Bayern have the sixth highest wage bill in the world, with City only two places higher and spending only £23m more (£315m compared to £292m). Only three of Munich's last nine managers have been German. Five of Man City's last nine have been British.

But yeah, let's cheer on any team Man City face because they play in a league that we all want Argyle to reach :think:

And how you laughed at Sterling for missing, who might have his confidence dented because of that, yet you support England who he plays for...

Yes I'm sure one miss by Sterling will affect his future England career. :funny: If anything he might learn from it.
Davie might also have mentioned that only TWO English players actually started.
I will absolutely cheer on any team Man City and the other English super clubs face(More joy last night) :thumbs: . Do you REALLY want to support a morally and probably financially corrupt team? Do you really have any affinity with all these muppets walking around Plymouth with Man. U and Liverpool shirts? Oh and have you considered how much harder it is to get in to the Prem League and stay there now let alone challenge at the top as the rich get richer?

Feb 14, 2007
Taunton
Balham_Green":2v545u38 said:
Whelan11":2v545u38 said:
Balham_Green":2v545u38 said:
davie nine":2v545u38 said:

Come on Lyon!

Yes I'm sure one miss by Sterling will affect his future England career. :funny: If anything he might learn from it.
I will absolutely cheer on any team Man City and the other English super clubs face(More joy last night) :thumbs: . Do you REALLY want to support a morally and probably financially corrupt team? Do you really have any affinity with all these muppets walking around Plymouth with Man. U and Liverpool shirts? Oh and have you considered how much harder it is to get in to the Prem League and stay there now let alone challenge at the top as the rich get richer?

Lyon only had four french players start for them, what's your point?

Do I want to support a team based in this country as opposed to one elsewhere? Absolutely.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Whelan11":303x4aqr said:
Balham_Green":303x4aqr said:
Whelan11":303x4aqr said:
Balham_Green":303x4aqr said:
davie nine":303x4aqr said:

Come on Lyon!

Do I want to support a team based in this country as opposed to one elsewhere? Absolutely.
I agree with the answer to your second question

Sep 6, 2006
Whelan11":2lzuzeob said:
Balham_Green":2lzuzeob said:
Whelan11":2lzuzeob said:
Balham_Green":2lzuzeob said:
davie nine":2lzuzeob said:

Come on Lyon!

So Lyon had twice as many?
I have made several points above. Not just about nationality of players.
Not sure why anybody would want to support teams whose modus operandi is to the detriment of the England international team, to the league in general and to Argyle as a result. They ring fence the resources, the rich get richer and the gap get greater. Not to mention the glory hunters who jump on the bandwagon supporting these teams. Love to see them fall flat on their faces. Apart from the fact they are based in England(with foreign players, foreign manager, foreign money) you have not given one reason how their success is for the greater good in this country.

Feb 14, 2007
Taunton
Balham_Green":dgy1hofc said:
Whelan11":dgy1hofc said:
Whelan11":dgy1hofc said:
davie nine":dgy1hofc said:

Come on Lyon!

So Lyon had twice as many?
I have made several points above. Not just about nationality of players.
Not sure why anybody would want to support teams whose modus operandi is to the detriment of the England international team, to the league in general and to Argyle as a result. They ring fence the resources, the rich get richer and the gap get greater. Not to mention the glory hunters who jump on the bandwagon supporting these teams. Love to see them fall flat on their faces. Apart from the fact they are based in England(with foreign players, foreign manager, foreign money) you have not given one reason how their success is for the greater good in this country.

So Pep should pick an out of form Stones in the starting line up just because he's English, and he should also hand Doyle a Champions League debut because he's English? Had they both been in form they would be in the starting line up, so that's a silly argument saying Man City only had two English players in their starting XI.

Who's to say Bayern aren't doing exactly the same in the German league, in terms of finances, yet you'd support them over an English team? You're complaining Man City have foreign players? That seems a bit discriminatory to me. Yeah it would be ideal if they had an English manager, but Pep was one of the best to recruit at the time, so i don't see a problem with that. And as i said, City have had more English managers in the past ten than Bayern have had German, so i fail to understand your point about that. You have not given me one reason to suggest how Bayern's success benefits this country. They're both even in my eyes, except Man City are based in England so seems obvious to me to support them...

Sep 6, 2006
How is it a 'silly argument' that Lyon had more home grown players. Its a fact! What is a silly argument is that Bayern could benefit the English game more than Man. City. Obviously NOT. They are a German team. :facepalm: But they DO play a lot of German players - get it? And they make a profit every year and are member owned. Not relying on dodgy morally corrupt Middle East money. Still not one reason given as to how Man. City and the Super English clubs benefit the English game overall.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Balham_Green":18qzkizq said:
How is it a 'silly argument' that Lyon had more home grown players. Its a fact! What is a silly argument is that Bayern could benefit the English game more than Man. City. Obviously NOT. They are a German team. :facepalm: But they DO play a lot of German players - get it? And they make a profit every year and are member owned. Not relying on dodgy morally corrupt Middle East money. Still not one reason given as to how Man. City and the Super English clubs benefit the English game overall.

Last season England provided all four teams for UEFA's finals. Do you think that wasn't noticed around Europe?

If you have been to the area around The Etihad recently you will have noticed that that "dodgy morally corrupt Middle East money" has been put to excellent use.

Feb 14, 2007
Taunton
Balham_Green":1t04s25y said:

It's a fact but only because some of the City players were dropped/out of form...Pep could have easily fielded Stones and Foden too which would have made it four :facepalm: My exact point, Bayern are a team full of Germans!! You'd rather support them than Man City, who as I just explained, have four England national team players, and are um, based in England!

How do the super clubs benefit English football? Okay, well if you get your wish, all the super clubs will go out in the first round. If you don't understand how that will impact English football, then there is no point debating it.

Sep 6, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":xvzhnq8r said:
Balham_Green":xvzhnq8r said:

Last season England provided all four teams for UEFA's finals. Do you think that wasn't noticed around Europe?

If you have been to the area around The Etihad recently you will have noticed that that "dodgy morally corrupt Middle East money" has been put to excellent use.

'Excellent use' do me a favour. How many hundreds of millions have they wasted on the football team (whilst breaking the rules)?

Sep 6, 2006
Whelan11":21fa3sf5 said:
Balham_Green":21fa3sf5 said:

It's a fact but only because some of the City players were dropped/out of form...Pep could have easily fielded Stones and Foden too which would have made it four :facepalm: My exact point, Bayern are a team full of Germans!! You'd rather support them than Man City, who as I just explained, have four England national team players, and are um, based in England!

How do the super clubs benefit English football? Okay, well if you get your wish, all the super clubs will go out in the first round. If you don't understand how that will impact English football, then there is no point debating it.

You just dont get it. Though it's pretty simple. The German teams give opportunities to their own players and surprise surprise their national team almost always does well. The English players are crowded out by the international superstars so dont get the opportunity to develop. Sancho being a good example - ironically going to a German team!. How hard is that to understand?! So no I will not and never will support the English teams that I have no affiliation with and are run to the detriment of the English national team and the football league in general. Not even to follow your argument because 'They are based in England' - Who cares? There are more important factors.
So tell me what impact would the English teams going out in the First Round have?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Balham_Green":ef2u0w96 said:
Whelan11":ef2u0w96 said:
Balham_Green":ef2u0w96 said:

You just dont get it. Though it's pretty simple. The German teams give opportunities to their own players and surprise surprise their national team almost always does well. The English players are crowded out by the international superstars so dont get the opportunity to develop. Sancho being a good example - ironically going to a German team!. How hard is that to understand?! So no I will not and never will support the English teams that I have no affiliation with and are run to the detriment of the English national team and the football league in general. Not even to follow your argument because 'They are based in England' - Who cares? There are more important factors.
So tell me what impact would the English teams going out in the First Round have?

Why should a club be run for the benefit of the National team? Why should a club be charitable to other English clubs? Why should teams not be picked on merit the same as Ryan Lowe picks his?

Sep 6, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":zu1hocba said:
Balham_Green":zu1hocba said:
Whelan11":zu1hocba said:
Balham_Green":zu1hocba said:

Why should a club be run for the benefit of the National team? Why should a club be charitable to other English clubs? Why should teams not be picked on merit the same as Ryan Lowe picks his?

The League should be run for the benefit of the national team not the opposite. Why should a club NOT be charitable? Prem clubs have more than enough money to strengthen the grassroots. Team should be picked on merit with a core of English players.