Chairman update (free on Argyle TV) | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Chairman update (free on Argyle TV)

Andy in Peverell

🚑 Steve Hooper
Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
Mmmm... We need to stick together, at this moment in time, as Adams would say.

However, I'm surprised that most posters seem to be content, or even happy, with the Chairman's interview on Argyle TV. I'm pleased that he seems to accept some responsibility for getting the Foster recruitment decision so badly wrong, but, unless I missed it, I didn't hear him apologise to the fans, or to the employees of the Club.

Indeed, he continued to advocate "sticking with the [FAILED] process", claiming that the recruitment decisions on Lowe and Schumacher worked out fine.

That's true maybe in relation to performances on the pitch under Lowe and Schumacher, but all three of his managers would seem to have had some deep flaws in their characters. He needs to shove his management/investment decision textbooks where the sun don't shine and get some help on the next interview panel with character analysis, and not just his crude "no knobheads" policy.
I think if there’s ever a chairman or owner who DOESN‘T have to apologies it’s Simon Hallett.
The blokes been incredible for us and has driven us further forward in 4/5 years than anyone else in my 35 years following.

Its probably his only bad decision and I never saw many calling it when he was appointed

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
That's true maybe in relation to performances on the pitch under Lowe and Schumacher, but all three of his managers would seem to have had some deep flaws in their characters. He needs to shove his management/investment decision textbooks where the sun don't shine and get some help on the next interview panel with character analysis, and not just his crude "no knobheads" policy.

I don’t think that Ryan Lowe did a lot wrong to be honest. He did a good job for us and then he left for a club in the league above for a better wage, a club that he’s now doing well at.

CarolinaGreen

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Jun 10, 2006
Raleigh, North Carolina
It is really that crazy to think that Nance could be the next manager? That's assuming he does well with Dewsnip in the remaining games. I can't help but feel that's much less of a gamble than another potential Foster. It's just if it doesn't work out. It would be awful to sack him if it doesn't work out next season.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
It is really that crazy to think that Nance could be the next manager? That's assuming he does well with Dewsnip in the remaining games. I can't help but feel that's much less of a gamble than another potential Foster. It's just if it doesn't work out. It would be awful to sack him if it doesn't work out next season.

Nance has taken charge or joint-charge of the team 4 times now, every time he’s made it clear he doesn’t want to be a manager and he’s happy just being a coach, he’s also told me that in private conversation.

Regardless of who comes in, keeping Nance on the coaching staff will be non-negotiable, Simon will make sure of that.

Jul 24, 2009
Mmmm... We need to stick together, at this moment in time, as Adams would say.

However, I'm surprised that most posters seem to be content, or even happy, with the Chairman's interview on Argyle TV. I'm pleased that he seems to accept some responsibility for getting the Foster recruitment decision so badly wrong, but, unless I missed it, I didn't hear him apologise to the fans, or to the employees of the Club.

Indeed, he continued to advocate "sticking with the [FAILED] process", claiming that the recruitment decisions on Lowe and Schumacher worked out fine.

For the amount of his personal money he's put in, the direction he's given our club and the number of right decisions he's made I don't think Simon Hallett owes any of us an apology.

Jul 24, 2009
In fairness,I think it was Ryan Lowe who first coined this phrase on one of Sparksy's zoom programmes.
The 'no knobhead's policy' is in no way new, rare or specific to Argyle, be it called 'no jerks', 'no assholes' or whatever. Plenty of organisations including other clubs comment on having it and have done for decades. I believe Jurgen Klopp has a slightly different name for it at Liverpool.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
The 'no knobhead's policy' is in no way new, rare or specific to Argyle, be it called 'no jerks', 'no assholes' or whatever. Plenty of organisations including other clubs comment on having it and have done for decades. I believe Jurgen Klopp has a slightly different name for it at Liverpool.
Appreciate that. I was referring more to the phrase rather than the policy.

Reactions: third earl of jean
May 26, 2015
I think if there’s ever a chairman or owner who DOESN‘T have to apologies it’s Simon Hallett.
The blokes been incredible for us and has driven us further forward in 4/5 years than anyone else in my 35 years following.

Its probably his only bad decision and I never saw many calling it when he was appointed
Sorry Andy
I didn't put it very well. I don't want to detract at all for all of the many good things Simon has done in driving our Club forward.
It's just that I don't think he is any good at football manager recruitment. Please watch his original video explaining the appointment of Foster. He goes on at length about 'essentials', 'desirables' and 'no no' factors. He then says (and i'm paraphrasing) that this produced a short list of three and that the process was so perfect that he could have chosen between the three, with the toss of a coin, and save the cost of interviews. This is a recipe for disaster.
I've been an employer for over thirty years and made a few recruitment mistakes in that time. But, in hindsight, I knew, on each occasion, that I was making a mistake, because I had spent too much energy on the candidate's qualifications and not enough time on whether the overall character of the candidate was likely to be a good fit with existing employees and with the professional culture of the firm, and whether they were likely to be loyal to the firm, or susceptible to being head-hunted at the first opportunity.
So, when Simon indicates, in his latest interview, that the process is fine, I wince. If Simon had said sorry, I got that one wrong, I don't know how to recruit a football manager and I'm getting help from recruitment experts, or character assessors, I would have been happier.
Let's just hope that the Foster appointment doesn't relegate us.

Andy in Peverell

🚑 Steve Hooper
Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
Sorry Andy
I didn't put it very well. I don't want to detract at all for all of the many good things Simon has done in driving our Club forward.
It's just that I don't think he is any good at football manager recruitment. Please watch his original video explaining the appointment of Foster. He goes on at length about 'essentials', 'desirables' and 'no no' factors. He then says (and i'm paraphrasing) that this produced a short list of three and that the process was so perfect that he could have chosen between the three, with the toss of a coin, and save the cost of interviews. This is a recipe for disaster.
I've been an employer for over thirty years and made a few recruitment mistakes in that time. But, in hindsight, I knew, on each occasion, that I was making a mistake, because I had spent too much energy on the candidate's qualifications and not enough time on whether the overall character of the candidate was likely to be a good fit with existing employees and with the professional culture of the firm, and whether they were likely to be loyal to the firm, or susceptible to being head-hunted at the first opportunity.
So, when Simon indicates, in his latest interview, that the process is fine, I wince. If Simon had said sorry, I got that one wrong, I don't know how to recruit a football manager and I'm getting help from recruitment experts, or character assessors, I would have been happier.
Let's just hope that the Foster appointment doesn't relegate us.
Fair enough champ.
I wasn’t picking a fight, I just see some on here jumping two footed into the blame game with hindsight now poo has hit the fan.

i do see your point and listened to the podcast where Simon spoke adoringly about Foster and mentioned all three of the final candidates could of had the job.
It definitely hasn’t aged well
I (like the majority I’d imagine) trusted our management to find the right replacement for Schumacher and assumed we’d find a good replacement based on their previous appointments.
Clearly something went disastrously wrong as Foster sounds like the mirror opposite of everything we’d wanted.
Everthing is now crossed that this mess doesn’t lead to a relegation

Reactions: third earl of jean