Callum Wright appreciation post | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Callum Wright appreciation post

Oct 1, 2013
I'm just gunna throw this one in now its all over.

Callum Wright is an important player for us and has been excellent during his time - despite often playing bit-part roles in the team.

He's also a big-game player. How important was he for our run-in last season?? Goal at Shrewsbury... started the break for Ennis goal v Burton... a role in all 3 goals at Port Vale.
And then this season... set up Randell's winner vs Stoke and Edwards winner against Hull.

Clearly not liked by Foster and constantly snubbed from that group but has returned with impact.

He even copped a bit of stick on here with claims he isnt good enough.
I cannot disagree more with that... he is 24 with a bright future and I would love that to be at Argyle next season.

Well done Callum - you are class!

Mar 16, 2006
Manchester
He's had good spells and bad so I wouldn't say he's my favourite player but felt for him (and Scarr) over the way Foster treated them. Him assisting Joe was an absolutely fitting way to stay up though. You couldn't have written it.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Wright has had a stop/start season.
He was in the starting 11 at the start of the season, ahead of Azaz and then was a substitute coming on late in games. He picked up an injury but when he returned to fitness Foster froze him out.

I like him and I hope he stays and plays a big part next season.

It didn't seem it at the time on Saturday but Bundu getting injured helped us win the game. No disrespect to Bundu but he would have taken that ball and run at the defence because that's his game, instead Wright looked up and had the vision to cross the perfect ball to Edwards.

Sep 6, 2006
I'm just gunna throw this one in now its all over.

Callum Wright is an important player for us and has been excellent during his time - despite often playing bit-part roles in the team.

He's also a big-game player. How important was he for our run-in last season?? Goal at Shrewsbury... started the break for Ennis goal v Burton... a role in all 3 goals at Port Vale.
And then this season... set up Randell's winner vs Stoke and Edwards winner against Hull.

Clearly not liked by Foster and constantly snubbed from that group but has returned with impact.

He even copped a bit of stick on here with claims he isnt good enough.
I cannot disagree more with that... he is 24 with a bright future and I would love that to be at Argyle next season.

Well done Callum - you are class!
It was Mayor's assist for the Burton goal.

Mar 23, 2008
It's funny timing as I keep getting videos of last season Championship win run in popping up on social media and reminded me how crucial he was.
He's a good player and may not start every week bit has talent and is clearly popular in the dressing room.

Oct 1, 2013
Ok. Well that's a bit tenuous. Passed the ball to the assisted. Jury out for me. Perhaps he can do it with someone who believes in him.
How is it tenuous?

He started the break from defence and continued run to occupy defender leaving Ennis in a 1v1 situation.

An important contribution - wasnt really saying more than that

Jan 27, 2012
There is a big gulf between the ability of Callum Wright and the ability of Finn Azaz.

In my view, Azaz is a player who is at home in a top Championship team (where Argyle aspire to be according to the business plan) while Wright is a player who is more at home in League One.

Reactions: Nobby and Green95
Jan 6, 2004
Arguably wasnt given adequate opportunities to produce more... certainly not by Foster, but even under SS he was 2nd fiddle to Azaz and Cundle (justifiably so)
You also have to remember when he was given a chance at Ashton Gate he was awful.

Jan 6, 2004
There is a big gulf between the ability of Callum Wright and the ability of Finn Azaz.

In my view, Azaz is a player who is at home in a top Championship team (where Argyle aspire to be according to the business plan) while Wright is a player who is more at home in League One.
I agree Wright can play a bit part in a side scrapping against relegation but if we are honest he is the sort of player we need to be upgrading if we are planning to stay in the championship long term. He along with a few others played above himself last Saturday and all credit to him for that, but he does not do it week after week