Brief Synopsis!!! (Weymouth) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Weymouth)

Sep 6, 2006
Metal_Green_Mickey":2104n9b4 said:
up_the_line":2104n9b4 said:
DartingtonPilgrim":2104n9b4 said:
Oh Dear UTL, you can't take anyone seriously who thinks the squad is stronger than last year.
Hope you're happy on your planet.

You think that Bulvitis, Songo'o and Bradley are better options at cb than McHugh, Nelson and (for all his faults) Hartley?
You reckon that ijaha is more of a prospect than boateng?
You looking forward to when Goodwillie puts his 50th goal for Argyle in inside the time it took Reid to?
You think Donaldson will be a more creative outlet than tanner could have been if used properly?

Nelson, McHugh and Hartley.... That would be the 3 who were ripped apart by bottom of the table Dagenham and Redbridge in the first 45 mins on that important home game.

Boateng would be guy bottled it at Wembley and whos impact in his second loan spell was half to that in his first

Reid would be the guy who had a good Sept/Oct and we didn't see again mainly due to injury. He would be the guy who would struggle to play the lone forward role, when fit, yet when Brunt played it the team played significantly better.

Tanner would be the guy that disappeared after January. Who made little or no impact when he started or came on as sub. Who's final ball or decision making just wasn't up to it which is why Wylde always had the nod over him come the second half of the season.

All those players you mentioned above with the exception of Reid have gone on to higher league teams so your argument falls apart really.

Mar 21, 2008
Metal_Green_Mickey":xpa8el7x said:
up_the_line":xpa8el7x said:
DartingtonPilgrim":xpa8el7x said:
Oh Dear UTL, you can't take anyone seriously who thinks the squad is stronger than last year.

You think that Bulvitis, Songo'o and Bradley are better options at cb than McHugh, Nelson and (for all his faults) Hartley?
You looking forward to when Goodwillie puts his 50th goal for Argyle in inside the time it took Reid to?
You think Donaldson will be a more creative outlet than tanner could have been if used properly?

Nelson, McHugh and Hartley.... That would be the 3 who were ripped apart by bottom of the table Dagenham and Redbridge in the first 45 mins on that important home game.

Boateng would be guy bottled it at Wembley and whos impact in his second loan spell was half to that in his first

Reid would be the guy who had a good Sept/Oct and we didn't see again mainly due to injury. He would be the guy who would struggle to play the lone forward role, when fit, yet when Brunt played it the team played significantly better.

Tanner would be the guy that disappeared after January. Who made little or no impact when he started or came on as sub. Who's final ball or decision making just wasn't up to it which is why Wylde always had the nod over him come the second half of the season.

Players like McHugh, Boateng and Nelson were the reason we got as close to promotion as we did! (in my opinion of course). We didn't make it over the line because we lost too many of them all at the same time and our momentum/confidence died, we never recovered from that and by the end of the season the core of the team that had to play nearly every game were finished/exhausted. All we needed to do this season was use a reportedly much better budget to take a similar strength first team and make a couple of decent additions so that there's both more competition and worthwhile backup when things go wrong. I can't see that we've done that at the moment, it seems like we've sacrificed quality for quantity.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Balham_Green":4k46g283 said:
A troll is someone that disagrees with you is it?

No it's a thing that lives under a bridge and has a penchant for goats. oldy, ol. :thumbup:

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Rob_GT4":2lhhp31c said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":2lhhp31c said:
up_the_line":2lhhp31c said:
DartingtonPilgrim":2lhhp31c said:

Players like McHugh, Boateng and Nelson were the reason we got as close to promotion as we did! (in my opinion of course). We didn't make it over the line because we lost too many of them all at the same time and our momentum/confidence died, we never recovered from that and by the end of the season the core of the team that had to play nearly every game were finished/exhausted. All we needed to do this season was use a reportedly much better budget to take a similar strength first team and make a couple of decent additions so that there's both more competition and worthwhile backup when things go wrong. I can't see that we've done that at the moment, it seems like we've sacrificed quality for quantity.

Excellent post, you'll probably be called a troll or told that you hate Argyle because you're not pant wettingly excited about the new season. A far more rational and less scathing rephrasimg of what I've been trying to say.
The good players failed to achieve promotion last season because of the lack of strength in depth. We now have depth but no strength in it.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I get what you're saying Patrick but a lot of people on here trust DA, if it turns into a sh*tfest I'm sure lost of us will be unhappy.

Again, I'll repeat what I say, it's the zealous nature of how you guys hit the misery trail that upsets people not necessarily what you say.

You lot are nowhere to be seen when everything is rosy but when something isn't quite right, on you come with the same message.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Also - it's far too early to say whether this year's team is stronger or weaker than last's. The best teams I've ever seen are ones where the total has been greater than the sum of the parts. I suspect we won't be able to say one way or another until November and probably then only as a "so far". Too early to laud to the heavens, too early to dismiss.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
As soon as the going gets moderate or choppy you are on here like a shot UTL to tell us all about doom and gloom.

It's cringeworthy to be honest.

Go and stand with Balham Green in the naughty corner please. :)

Jan 3, 2013
Emu":3qs379eo said:
As soon as the going gets moderate or choppy you are on here like a shot UTL to tell us all about doom and gloom.

It's cringeworthy to be honest.

Go and stand with Balham Green in the naughty corner please. :)

I reckon they want Argo to fail

May 16, 2016
I'm sure hidden away somewhere in the PASOTI vaults there's a similar thread with people berating last pre-seasons signings.

Part of the pre-season ritual is the moanfest isn't it ? I don't actually have a glass to fill or empty ..........yet ;)

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Doesn't bare thinking about what the uproar will be from some on here if we don't get a result against Luton on the opening day.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
UTL and RobGT4, you talk about sacrificing quality for quantity, I can't believe that either of you has sufficient knowledge of our new players to be able to compare them with last years team. We have a bigger squad this season, with more height and possibly more pace and strength , we will know more about this team once they start playing competitive games.

Jul 2, 2014
katkin":2z9ndsen said:
The players are knackered. Double training sessions every day and 4 games in one week it's not surprising.

I have been to most of the pre season games (minus 2) and I definitely feel I've seen improvement with them gelling together much better. Today was that exception but I'm sure tiredness had a lot to do with that.

The starting 11 I feel was still about fitness as some players haven't played as much such as slew Rooney fox and lot the starting 11 we will see.
Carey made a lot of bad passes today.
Adams didn't seem that bothered but more kept changing the formation to get a better look at what works and doesn't.

I can't make any judgement until the season starts and we are playing league 2 oppositions but we haven't lost so far in pre season and we've played some good passing football albeit against poor opposition.
:clap: ahmen. I have read many players saying how intense preseason training under DA is compared to anyone else. Players are doing full training sessions on the same day as a match and two a day when there is no game. Great for preparing the players for a long season, but not to having players at their sharpest in the preseason games. After the WBA game, training will shift to having players peak for the Luton game. Only then we get any idea of what kind of squad we have. I belong to the "no judgements until after 10 games" crowd myself.

Oct 24, 2010
I appreciate we all have opinions but I certainly don’t subscribe to the view that we have lost a galaxy of stars and replaced them with journeymen. I think our form in the second half of last season, typified by the play off final, puts paid to that argument. I did think prior to the final that losing could be a blessing in disguise as it would give the opportunity to rebuild the squad, I firmly believe that had we got promoted we would have struggled badly with the team we had last season. Also I was relieved to see Nelson and McHugh leave. Nelson has many excellent qualities but the key to defending is being in the right place at all times and that is something which Curtis has always struggled with. He is a talent and I wish him well in the future and I hope he proves me wrong.

As for McHugh I think he is a top defender and I would have liked to see him play more in central defense for us but in midfield I think he became a liability. He did the defensive side very well and was an excellent playmaker when he was given time and space but he lacked mobility and pace and other teams got wise to him and pushed up, pressed high and got around him and he and the team struggled badly, there was no better example of this than against Wimbledon in the play off final. For me that position requires energy ,pace and mobility and Threlkeld is a far better option, not only is he a good footballer, he can read the game and is a good passer ,but he has pace and energy and the ability to get around the pitch.

I have only seen two pre-season games, yesterday and at Truro, and it is far too soon to pass judgement on the new players. We need to wait until around ten games into the season when we have a settled formation and team but it is obvious that Adams has signed talent and hopefully they will gell into a successful team.

Mar 14, 2009
Rob_GT4":21lcn6o9 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":21lcn6o9 said:
up_the_line":21lcn6o9 said:
DartingtonPilgrim":21lcn6o9 said:

McHugh and Nelson played in the Dagenham and Redbridge game that got ripped apart by the worst club in the league, at home. Yes, these players who also got us close to promotion (which your right about) but they bottled some massive games.

A year before McHugh and Nelson were part of a back 3 ripped apart by Wycombe. They lost their nerve.

This year they were part of a Wembley team that never turned up against Wimbledon.

They bottled it. They might be decent players for this level yet in too many important games
They went missing.

You say they are important players for us. Where were they when we really needed them?

If it happened once then fair enough. Yet two years in a row under different managers says to me there was something wrong with the players mentality.