Brief Synopsis (Oxford) sponsored by Bromleigh House Ltd | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis (Oxford) sponsored by Bromleigh House Ltd

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
It’s worth noting that we had 5 shots on target and Oxford had 2 (according to the stats on the BBC website) and shots on target is really the only stat worth looking at apart from goals actually scored and conceded.

Reactions: saxman
D

Deleted member 9145

Nightmare of a place to get to and v quiet home fans. Atmosphere in the Argyle side was amazing. The speed of the quick passing attacks was as good as I've seen from an Argyle side.

First half Garrick was superb and Pan so unlucky hitting the post. Their keeper also made a fantastic save from Pan but he wasn't to be denied. MOM and boy did he celebrate.

Scarr, Grant and Houghton all deserve mentions. Jephcott had a strange game, some nice touches and good link up but he's got to stop looking for a foul every time the ball comes to him, the ref was wise to him, he can head a ball and has good control so do that and take a foul if you get one. Broom was busy though not his best game and Danny settled things down and looked sharp. Nice that Lowey has some real selection problems.

Fantastic away day.

Jul 17, 2011
Wow. Few things to note.

1. whatever contract camara has, extend it, now. Because he will be worth a lot of money - he’s only 24!

2. well done Garrick… I thought in his previous games, he was all tricks and no brain. But I take that back.

3. Our defence is as good as it gets for this league. There was a point in the first half that scarr pole axed the Oxford striker during a 50/50…. That wouldn’t have happened last year as they were to slow and not sharp enough to take the booking.

4. Well done lowe for bringing on mayor. People will not mention it, but his role on the third goal was great. Him & broom rotating is great.
Il

think we could very well finish top 6 this season if we keep this up, but even if we don’t, we won’t be looking down that’s for sure. A couple of additions in January and we could be in business ( back up for Houghton and a winger. )

Up the Greens

May 16, 2016
Great all round team performance, Oxford are no mugs although they had few wayward attempts compared to the accuracy of ours. Loved the speed and slickness of our turn arounds. Jephcott's strengths are best served in not concentrating on or worrying too much about scoring. He has more to his game than that now. I said on the other thread that one day he'll be rated for his effectiveness behind two strikers.

Reactions: David Doidge

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I think that was a brave decision to bring Mayor on for Broom.
I can imagine the clamour on here if Oxford had equalised or worse.
As it happened, it seems that Mayor was influential in putting the game out of Oxford’s reach.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
It was a brave decision to play Garrick up front, especially with Agard in reserve. We were led to believe by one poster that Garrick couldn't play centre forward, his first half performance shredded that to the history books.
He could have won a penalty too, but stayed on his feet during our buoyant period after the 2nd.
It wasn't just pace, trickery, low centre of gravity and the ability to get his head up and look at other options. Very Impressed.

Apr 1, 2009
As it happened, it seems that Mayor was influential in putting the game out of Oxford’s reach.
Agreed.

I don't know why people have to be so black or white all the time. I agree that Mayor has thus far flattered to deceive far too often, but for anyone to suggest his appearance is something akin to a nightmare is, frankly, bizarre. At long last we have on the bench an experienced player who can bring something different, rather than being merely a like for like change. Good squads include players with the ability to play in a variety of ways, and we should appreciate such an option rather than dismissing it.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London

Yep, that’s exactly what was promised from Ryan Lowe when appointed. Look to take risks and move further ahead, rather than try and sit back and defend a lead.

Looks like we have both of those abilities in our locker though.

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
Super interview with Jordan Garrick on website. Listen to what he says about the fans and the difference it makes.
Also laughing about his left footed second half shot that went out for a goal kick near the corner flag. :)

What a great interview, worth watching just to get an insight into the team spirit. Leaving it twice for Camara, no pressure Pan.

Sep 3, 2009
Let’s have this right. Danny Mayor is a superb footballer at this level, who is now struggling to be an automatic pick in our first XI. That’s a great problem to have.

I’m still reserving judgement on our season prospects but what an amazing start. If we’re still up there after Xmas, with Cooper, Ennis and Bolton back in the fray, there feels no reason why we can’t be involved in the final mix - at least for the top 6.

For now, hats off to the squad and management. Very impressed at the recruitment - wasn’t sure they had it in them.

COYG.

Mar 14, 2009
Just got back.

Before l start, we played a very decent team in Oxford Utd.

They started really well. Obviously scored the goal. Whilst the finish was excellent, the ball over the top was too easy to open us up.

After this Argyle wrestled control back. Scored a wonderful individual through Garrick.

After this Argyle and Oxford created half chances. Oxford delivery from the right was a nuisance all match. Some terrific deliveries.

The second goal was a great team goal. Jephcott, who did a great first time pass for Garrick’s goal, was aware again to lay the ball across goal. Garrick dummy and Camara into bottom corner.

Oxford came back once more. They broke clear and Scarr was either taking man or ball. He took the first. Yet although it was cynical, it was smart defending as they were in and he took a professional booking. Last season we wouldn’t of seen this.

Second half we lost control for first 25 mins. In all honesty lm not sure, given the opportunities they had, how they didn’t equalise. Argyle couldn’t get out of their half. Thankfully, Oxford were wasteful.

Broom went off, Mayor came on. Argyle wrestled some control back. We weren’t great but we managed to stop them having as many opportunities. We then got the killer goal via Camara and it was game over.

It was a strange game. At times we were very good. At times we were very sloppy. Oxford were good out wide. They were a team that put in some very good crosses. They just didn’t capitalise on them. Argyle we’re dangerous in wide positions too. Sometimes though our downfall was giving away the ball and being sprung on the counter attack.

It was a good, entertaining game. Argyle were once more clinical. Oxford weren’t. Today on the balance of things that was simply the difference. Had they been clinical l don’t think if they got a draw we could of argued they didn’t deserve it.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Fantastic result and sets things up for a big game at HP on Tuesday night. Bolton will be smarting after a hiding at home today. Prolific scorers up until their last couple of games and I think this will be a big test for Argyle. The way they are playing though, Argyle must start favourites and it’s just a shame that being a night match, there won’t be as many down from Bolton as a Saturday. Really looking forward to it.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Everything lead me towards thinking that we'd lose today. Oxford yet to lose at home, we're without Hardie and Galloway, plus we're simply due a loss at some point. And then we have an awful first 10 minutes where Oxford go 1-0 up. I was fully expecting (like I've seen so many times before under previous managers) 80 minutes of huffing and puffing, not a lot of chance creation, perhaps a brief good period but ultimately a loss.

This team has got something quite incredible about them. Whilst minutes 45-55 were a little shaky, aside from that, we dominated them.

Tactically absolutely spot on from Lowe - the decision to pick Garrick over Agard was completely right. Oxford pushed their full backs very high, meaning that our wing backs could man-mark them. This gave Garrick and Jephcott so much space out wide to drag the centre backs out, isolate them for a 1-on-1 (like Garricks goal) or create space for others.

You know its been a good performance when the only real negatives are Cooper's kicking, which was unusually poor, and maybe Luke needs a bit more work on his heading.

This run has to stop at some point. And it's still fair to say that there's a good chance that we won't go up. But yesterday was THE day for me that makes me think we can challenge - not necessarily for automatics, but for top 6. What a season this could be.

Cooper 5, Wilson 8, Scarr 8, Gillesphey 6, Houghton 8, Edwards 6, Camara 9, Broom 6, Grant 8, Jephcott 7, Garrick 8... Mayor 8.