Brief Synopsis (Oxford) sponsored by Bromleigh House Ltd | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis (Oxford) sponsored by Bromleigh House Ltd

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Agree with most of that apart from the 6 for Gillespie who I thought had a terrific game.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
He was for the most part agreed, but let his man in behind for the goal and was a little dodgy 2nd half.

According to Chris Errington, it was Scarr.

Aug 17, 2005
End of November start of December will be a telling time how we will do this season 4 of the top six teams we play in consecutive matches

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
Not much reference to Houghton on here . What a signing and a big part of our success so far. I don't remember him giving the ball away once yesterday.
He did give the ball away once yesterday. I remember it because it was such an unusual occurrence! I agree he's a huge part of our recent success. Can't be many, if any, as good as him in his position at this level.

Reactions: saxman

Voice of Reason

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
He did give the ball away once yesterday. I remember it because it was such an unusual occurrence! I agree he's a huge part of our recent success. Can't be many, if any, as good as him in his position at this level.
Against the grain, but Houghton was my man of the match. Dare I say shades of Nalis, right place at the right time, always available and makes everyone else's job a bit easier

Dec 30, 2020
Not much reference to Houghton on here . What a signing and a big part of our success so far. I don't remember him giving the ball away once yesterday.

Reading this and the man of the match thread I was thinking the same. He was absolutely outstanding, pretty much faultless performance. It felt like every time he got the ball, Argyle were under pressure and then with one or two smart touches and a good pass we would suddenly be streaming forward. I am dreading playing Milton Keynes if they think they are good enough to release him

Oct 31, 2015
Against the grain, but Houghton was my man of the match. Dare I say shades of Nalis, right place at the right time, always available and makes everyone else's job a bit easier
Yep I have did the same. Definitely parallels with Nalis and probably the best since him tbh all he it a league lower

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Wow. Few things to note.

1. whatever contract camara has, extend it, now. Because he will be worth a lot of money - he’s only 24!

2. well done Garrick… I thought in his previous games, he was all tricks and no brain. But I take that back.

3. Our defence is as good as it gets for this league. There was a point in the first half that scarr pole axed the Oxford striker during a 50/50…. That wouldn’t have happened last year as they were to slow and not sharp enough to take the booking.

4. Well done lowe for bringing on mayor. People will not mention it, but his role on the third goal was great. Him & broom rotating is great.
Il

think we could very well finish top 6 this season if we keep this up, but even if we don’t, we won’t be looking down that’s for sure. A couple of additions in January and we could be in business ( back up for Houghton and a winger. )

Up the Greens
Quite a few people have mentioned Mayor's role in the third.

Aug 8, 2013
Couldn't catch the game yesterday, so stayed away from the result, and have
just finished watching now.

As I seem to say after every game recently, it was an excellent team performance,
though I did feel Scarr had a couple of dodgy moments.
Good teams don't get disturbed by going a goal down, so for that reason, and for the
first time in recent years, we can be classified as a good team.
If only Camara could shoot......... has been the lament for a season and a bit, but now it
seems he can. It's an excellent sign that the midfield has started chipping in with goals.
And a shout out to Lowe for what I thought was a game-saving substitution. Not a fan of Mayor in
general, but his ball retention was exactly what was needed to stop Oxford's momentum.
Bring on Bolton.

Reactions: David Doidge
Oct 20, 2015
Just got back.

Before l start, we played a very decent team in Oxford Utd.

They started really well. Obviously scored the goal. Whilst the finish was excellent, the ball over the top was too easy to open us up.

After this Argyle wrestled control back. Scored a wonderful individual through Garrick.

After this Argyle and Oxford created half chances. Oxford delivery from the right was a nuisance all match. Some terrific deliveries.

The second goal was a great team goal. Jephcott, who did a great first time pass for Garrick’s goal, was aware again to lay the ball across goal. Garrick dummy and Camara into bottom corner.

Oxford came back once more. They broke clear and Scarr was either taking man or ball. He took the first. Yet although it was cynical, it was smart defending as they were in and he took a professional booking. Last season we wouldn’t of seen this.

Second half we lost control for first 25 mins. In all honesty lm not sure, given the opportunities they had, how they didn’t equalise. Argyle couldn’t get out of their half. Thankfully, Oxford were wasteful.

Broom went off, Mayor came on. Argyle wrestled some control back. We weren’t great but we managed to stop them having as many opportunities. We then got the killer goal via Camara and it was game over.

It was a strange game. At times we were very good. At times we were very sloppy. Oxford were good out wide. They were a team that put in some very good crosses. They just didn’t capitalise on them. Argyle we’re dangerous in wide positions too. Sometimes though our downfall was giving away the ball and being sprung on the counter attack.

It was a good, entertaining game. Argyle were once more clinical. Oxford weren’t. Today on the balance of things that was simply the difference. Had they been clinical l don’t think if they got a draw we could have argued they didn’t deserve it.
I'd agree MGM, while it was a great result the first 20 mins after half time weren't good to watch. There are still improvements to be made to tighten up at the back and regain/retain possession when opposition has tails up.

As a glass half empty man I have to see this run stuttering at some point, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts. The points made by many about strength in depth and our options on the bench are valid and it's a hallmark of successful sides that they are able to weather the storm of injuries and suspensions where required.

I was calling for Mayor to start after Tuesday, he was the one ray of hope in a lacklustre second string team. And glad to see him come on yesterday and still look in sharp touch.

People rightly criticised Mayor's play for slowing things down sometimes, but when you're in front an attacking player like DM that can retain possession is a valuable asset.

Really looking forward to the Bolton game, I'm assuming the TV feed will be available for UK people for £10 - is that right?