Bradford City 1978 - Match Abandoned... | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Bradford City 1978 - Match Abandoned...

S

StaffordBantam

I remember ringing Argyle up, on the Friday afternoon, to check on the prospects of the match going ahead. I was told that it was still on, but they expected it to be called off early on the Saturday morning.

As I was going to every match, at the time, I decided to risk it, and caught a very early train on the Saturday morning, from my home in the Midlands. Given the bleak prospects, very few Bradford City fans made the journey down, just one coach load, 2 or 3 cars and myself on the train. Little did we know that we were heading into what was to be called the Great West Country Blizzard, the worst blizzard to hit the south west in over 100 years.

To be honest, I was amazed that the match even started. A combination of snow, hail and and a gale force wind (a goal kick nearly curled back out for a corner) made any sort of football match impossible. Around kick off time there was a tannoy announcement, inviting all supporters to make their way round to the main stand, to huddle together, to keep warm.

So, it was little surprise when the match was abandoned, although frustrating as we were 1-0 ahead. The frustration was about to increase when, as they were exiting the ground, the away fans were met by the police, to be informed that all roads out of Plymouth were blocked. For those that had travelled down by road, an extended stay in Plymouth ran to several days. For me, I managed to get out on a train that evening, which crawled through the snow to Exeter, after which conditions improved somewhat and I eventually got home in the early hours of the Sunday morning.

I can honestly say that, it in all the years I have been following Bradford City, it has to go down as one of the most memorable matches, or non-matches, as of course, it has been struck from most records (try looking it up).

Whilst there are many photos and records of the Great West Country Blizzard of 1978, I have not been able to find any photos of the match itself.

This is a link to an old BBC story on the blizzard http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/content/arti ... ture.shtml Sadly, the video and most of the photos seem to have been archived and are no longer accessible.

S

StaffordBantam

Balham_Green":2okrrfsi said:
Remember it well. Was a February game. I think the pitch was perfectly playable. The snow or sleet was horizontal! Ref abandoned it rumour has it because he was getting frostbite!

I certainly remember the story that the referee was taken to hospital suffering from hypothermia/frostbite and also that his watch had frozen and stopped working. I don't know if they are true or not, but it would not surprise me if they were.

Sep 6, 2006
ONE of the worst blizzards in a hundred years not the worst. I hear 1963 and 1947 much worse and more prolonged. Plymouth itself didn't get much snow in 1978.

PutneyPete

๐Ÿ† Callum Wright 23/24
โ™ฃ๏ธ PASALB Member
๐ŸŒ Bomber Harris.
๐Ÿš‘ Steve Hooper
Jun 23, 2005
London (Putney)
StaffordBantam":gokegksb said:
Hi Bradford City fan here.

I was at this abandoned match. The attendance was 2,843 and this was the front cover of the programme:
1519307214987-png.18246

18192-633ebe27d4bb5d43789071b9083184d2.jpg

jerryatricjanner

โœ… Evergreen
Auction Winner ๐Ÿ‘จโ€โš–๏ธ
๐ŸŒŸSparksy Mural๐ŸŒŸ
Apr 22, 2006
Yes I was there, centre of the Devonport End. Never been so cold in my life.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I was in the BPE and it was no warmer.

To be honest I can't remember much about the game but I do remember MH being sent off.

Sep 23, 2014
plymouth
Balham_Green":20ys9yu1 said:
ONE of the worst blizzards in a hundred years not the worst. I hear 1963 and 1947 much worse and more prolonged. Plymouth itself didn't get much snow in 1978.
Its good of Bantam to come on here telling his story, why do you always jump on people who might get something slightly wrong ,you seem to b####y revel in it !

Aug 30, 2016
Peverell
I was young and daft enough to be at that game despite having flu at the time. I was so delighted when the ref abandoned the game that I could have kissed him, not something I'd ever felt inclined to do before,(or indeed since). I felt he'd probably saved my life, I wasn't sure I'd have survived the full 90 minutes.

Jan 4, 2006
St Austell
I was at the game, standing in the Lyndhurst with my wife who was pregnant with my son. Got a terrible b******ing from my mum afterwards for going to the game with an expectant mother. It was a hairy drive back to St Austell alright.

Sep 6, 2006
pearces greens":3vjm0oz1 said:
Balham_Green":3vjm0oz1 said:
Its good of Bantam to come on here telling his story, why do you always jump on people who might get something slightly wrong ,you seem to b####y revel in it !

Calm down you muppet. Hardly 'jumped on' him. Just saying it was nowhere near blizzard of the century in Plymouth.

Tynan One Nil

๐ŸŽซ S.T. Donor ๐ŸŽซ
Auction Winner ๐Ÿ‘จโ€โš–๏ธ
Apr 23, 2013
Seem to remember the Re-arranged game more for standing in the Barn Park End, seeing Argyle score 6 and thinking Big Mal was the Messiah!

ChepstowGreen

๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ท๓ ฌ๓ ณ๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ท๓ ฌ๓ ณ๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ท๓ ฌ๓ ณ๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ท๓ ฌ๓ ณ๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ท๓ ฌ๓ ณ๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ท๓ ฌ๓ ณ๓ ฟ
๐Ÿ† Callum Wright 23/24
โ™ฃ๏ธ SWAG Member
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 1, 2006
Love these posts. Few things in life bring shared memories like the great game (and teams) we love.

Jul 24, 2009
ChepstowGreen":2ftfi8um said:
Love these posts. Few things in life bring shared memories like the great game (and teams) we love.
Yes brilliant posts, before my time but got a real sense of what it was like to follow the greens during the end of that season from reading this thread. Top stuff

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Tynan One Nil":12gsney4 said:
Seem to remember the Re-arranged game more for standing in the Barn Park End, seeing Argyle score 6 and thinking Big Mal was the Messiah!

Seem to recall there was a Football Combination game v Arsenal played immediately after the 6-0 win , does anyone else remember this , or is it just me getting old ?

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Talking of other Bradford games, that Tuesday night in 2013 when we drew 0-0 and Harvey / Chadwick together contrived to somehow miss from about 2 yards out in the final minute. Still don't know how that didn't go in. Thankfully it didn't matter at the end of the season, but walking home after that night it certainly felt like fate was going to relegate us...