Battle of Saltergate | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Battle of Saltergate

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
So ... who was there that day .. memories ??
I'll remember the noise we made with our feet on that wooden stand.
I'd dropped something on the floor and bent down to pick it up so eyes off the pitch. When I looked back it was ''all hell let loose'' I'm sure the ref had no idea of who started it so sent off 2 x each team to follow Ronnie the gun's sending off earlier. W 2-1 :thumbs: Made the national news :shock:

J

James_Dennis

I was there. Absolute mayhem! Chesterfield were on a great cup run (should have beaten Boro to get into the final) and they were operating a token system for home fans (i.e. collect two stubs and be first in line for tickets the next round). Consequently the Green Army were accommodated in a small section of the Grandstand. There was more than a hint of arrogance about their players and fans, but our players were up for it.

Neil Warnock had not long been sacked and there were sustained chants of "Micky Jones' Green and White Army - We Want Dan Out!" - we made one hell of a racket and were congratulated by their announcer at half time. I remember Micky Evans lobbing the keeper to put us 1-0 up in the first half, and if memory serves Mark Saunders volleyed emphatically to put us 2-0 up in the second. This after Gangster Ron was sent off for a tasty challenge.

Anyway, Chesterfield made it 1-2 and were piling on the pressure., With five minutes to go, a corner was awarded to them. Grobbelar was in the midst of his match-fixing case, and I think the team were very protective of him. So when the corner came in and a Chesterfield player put an elbow into him, all hell broke loose. Tony James and Steve Carr (was it?) had a heavyweight boxing match in the goal mouth, and Logan got in on the act too with that player who went on to Blackburn (Davies or someone?). Coaches and goodness who else weighed in, and I understand Ron wanted a piece of the action too!

To be honest, for me the fight spoiled a great match and took away the gloss from a very good away win, but it's still one of those I can claim 'I was there'!

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
I've always thought it was a corner to us - but long time ago.
The wooden stand was the wrong place to put us - I had visions of the whole place collapsing. :shock:

Aug 24, 2012
James_Dennis":22oe2jei said:
I was there. Absolute mayhem! Chesterfield were on a great cup run (should have beaten Boro to get into the final) and they were operating a token system for home fans (i.e. collect two stubs and be first in line for tickets the next round). Consequently the Green Army were accommodated in a small section of the Grandstand. There was more than a hint of arrogance about their players and fans, but our players were up for it.

Neil Warnock had not long been sacked and there were sustained chants of "Micky Jones' Green and White Army - We Want Dan Out!" - we made one hell of a racket and were congratulated by their announcer at half time. I remember Micky Evans lobbing the keeper to put us 1-0 up in the first half, and if memory serves Mark Saunders volleyed emphatically to put us 2-0 up in the second. This after Gangster Ron was sent off for a tasty challenge.

Anyway, Chesterfield made it 1-2 and were piling on the pressure., With five minutes to go, a corner was awarded to them. Grobbelar was in the midst of his match-fixing case, and I think the team were very protective of him. So when the corner came in and a Chesterfield player put an elbow into him, all hell broke loose. Tony James and Steve Carr (was it?) had a heavyweight boxing match in the goal mouth, and Logan got in on the act too with that player who went on to Blackburn (Davies or someone?). Coaches and goodness who else weighed in, and I understand Ron wanted a piece of the action too!

To be honest, for me the fight spoiled a great match and took away the gloss from a very good away win, but it's still one of those I can claim 'I was there'!

The two opposing players who got sent off Steve Carr and Kevin Davies made great players for Spurs and Bolton respectively, both playing for their country also.

Tony James was an animal, remember him knocking somebody clean out in the Conservatory nightclub one night.

Jan 29, 2006
Canterbury
Mrsbrownsboys":2a9j1klh said:
James_Dennis":2a9j1klh said:

The two opposing players who got sent off Steve Carr and Kevin Davies made great players for Spurs and Bolton respectively, both playing for their country also.

Tony James was an animal, remember him knocking somebody clean out in the Conservatory nightclub one night.

I think you mean Darren Carr.
Stephen Carr played for Tottenham but not Chesterfield.

Aug 24, 2012
Pafcintheplace":2u0rkqgw said:
Mrsbrownsboys":2u0rkqgw said:
James_Dennis":2u0rkqgw said:

I think you mean Darren Carr.
Stephen Carr played for Tottenham but not Chesterfield.

Quite correct. I use of Steve Carr in previous post made for that error.