Barrow V Morecambe | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Barrow V Morecambe

Dec 29, 2011
Watched Barrow v Morecambe last night to recomplete the 92 league grounds.Strong Argyle connection in this one with 5 ex players starting this game.Yann-Songoo(Argyle legend as far as I am concerned)Jordan Slew,Niall Canavan,James Chester & Dom Telford(DA as ex manager thrown into the mix).Telford got the winner.Always thought he was ok at this level but a bit injury prone.
Shock to the system to see nearly 900 visiting Morecambe fans for the localish Lancashire- Cumbria derby.

Certainly noticed the difference between championship and league 2 football but I enjoyed it, and there was at least one other Argyle fan there

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Great stuff. Can't be many Argyle fans who've been to Holker Street given that we haven't played them for 50 odd years. I've never been there but they've always struck me as a proper, traditional lower league community club.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
A Morecambe blogger summed up the match as being played in wet and windy conditions and was of poor quality because

1 The Barrow pitch (likened to a plowed field)
2 The ref (Ben Speedier)
3 The Morecambe team

A long blog and completely one eyed, but quite funny in pars.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Enjoyed my visit there a few years back. They were in a relegation battle at the time and playing a Forest Green side going for the title. Barrow unexpectedly won 4-0. Real pain to get to the ground on public transport though.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Enjoyed my visit there a few years back. They were in a relegation battle at the time and playing a Forest Green side going for the title. Barrow unexpectedly won 4-0. Real pain to get to the ground on public transport though.

It takes forever to get to Barrow even when you're driving. The bit after the M6 feels like the longest road in the universe.

Jul 6, 2005
Great stuff. Can't be many Argyle fans who've been to Holker Street given that we haven't played them for 50 odd years. I've never been there but they've always struck me as a proper, traditional lower league community club.
Went to Holker Street to watch Barrow when I was on one of many work trips to BAE. A proper Northern football ground.

Last time we played there we lost 1-0 courtesy of a deflection off the Referee. It led to a rule change.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Went to Holker Street to watch Barrow when I was on one of many work trips to BAE. A proper Northern football ground.

Last time we played there we lost 1-0 courtesy of a deflection off the Referee. It led to a rule change.
Did it, Dave? That was back in the 60s and the only change I am aware of (when the ball hits the referee) happened in the last season or two.

I could be wrong, however, but don't tell the wife that I ever admitted that... ;)

Jul 6, 2005
The rulea
Did it, Dave? That was back in the 60s and the only change I am aware of (when the ball hits the referee) happened in the last season or two.

I could be wrong, however, but don't tell the wife that I ever admitted that... ;)
The rules were changed in the early 70s so that a goal could not be scored if the last touch came off the Referee.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
The rulea

The rules were changed in the early 70s so that a goal could not be scored if the last touch came off the Referee.
Cheers, Dave - I didn't know that.

I suppose it is one less 'evil' to worry about with the way refs appear to treat Argyle currently! ;)