Banter or Hate Crime? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Banter or Hate Crime?

CovJet

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jul 12, 2023
Dear Pilgrims,

I’m a Wolves fan – coming in peace and hoping you can help me out…

But before I do, let me congratulate you on an amazing season. I’m sure you can’t wait to host Huddersfield in a few weeks-time!

I’m a senior Lecturer at Birmingham City University, writing academic papers as part of my PhD portfolio (Koln University). My research has a focus on the language used by football fans at games – for some people it’s ‘banter’ and for others, it has become a ‘hate crime’. It is a complex, emotive issue.

I want to find out what you think of the language used – I want you to be honest.

The questionnaire is entirely voluntary and completely anonymous. I will only use the data I obtain for academic papers and once complete I will share the data with you on this forum. I have ethical approval granted from Koln University and approval from your administrator for this forum.

I will be comparing your answers with those from supporters of Arsenal, Watford, Wolves, Ipswich and Newcastle.

The questionnaire should only take you a couple of minutes and I would like to thank you in advance. Here is the link:

Kind regards,

Peter Evans

SurreyJanner

⚽️ Player Sponsor ⚽️
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 30, 2015
Dear Pilgrims,

I’m a Wolves fan – coming in peace and hoping you can help me out…

But before I do, let me congratulate you on an amazing season. I’m sure you can’t wait to host Huddersfield in a few weeks-time!

I’m a senior Lecturer at Birmingham City University, writing academic papers as part of my PhD portfolio (Koln University). My research has a focus on the language used by football fans at games – for some people it’s ‘banter’ and for others, it has become a ‘hate crime’. It is a complex, emotive issue.

I want to find out what you think of the language used – I want you to be honest.

The questionnaire is entirely voluntary and completely anonymous. I will only use the data I obtain for academic papers and once complete I will share the data with you on this forum. I have ethical approval granted from Koln University and approval from your administrator for this forum.

I will be comparing your answers with those from supporters of Arsenal, Watford, Wolves, Ipswich and Newcastle.

The questionnaire should only take you a couple of minutes and I would like to thank you in advance. Here is the link:

Kind regards,

Peter Evans
One small but important point.... We like to be referred to as Argyle or Plymouth Argyle

Reactions: CovJet

Lundan Cabbie

🎫 ST Donor 🎫
⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I see that Wolves have today been fined £100,000 for failing to ensure that their fans behaved in an proper manner versus Chelsea last season, in that homophobic chants were heard in the 61st and 71st minutes of the Premier League match at Molineux in April.

Reactions: CovJet

CovJet

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jul 12, 2023
Survey done. Having once attended a wedding in Wolverhampton (and been introduced to the local delicacy, a pint of Maccyvimto). I am unsure how anybody could understand what they were chanting.
That made me laugh. My Father's side of the family are all from Wolverhampton, however we moved to Coventry when I was very young. I therefore do not have a Black Country accent and every home game I had to have my father translate for me...

Reactions: Spuddie

CovJet

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jul 12, 2023
Thought that was interesting, will be good to see how this comes together - good luck with the PhD.
Thank you, much appreciated
I see that Wolves have today been fined £100,000 for failing to ensure that their fans behaved in an proper manner versus Chelsea last season, in that homophobic chants were heard in the 61st and 71st minutes of the Premier League match at Molineux in April.
This was the 'rent boy' chant. Fans sang it in the 61st minute, Wolves responded with an announcement to ask fans to desist, so more of them did it in the 71st minute. Several arrests were made. How on earth should Wolves be fined for trying to address the incident?

Reactions: Lundan Cabbie

CovJet

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jul 12, 2023
Peter, I am interested in the thinking behind your sample. Given your example Wolves is obvious, but why did you select the other clubs? And why not Chelsea?
Hi, good question. The questionnaire will be extended to several more fan bases to represent a geographical demographic. I intend to include Chelsea, Millwall, Cardiff, Villa, Manchester City, Carlisle and Bolton. Arsenal were picked because they do have a large pre-game programme addressing social issues.