Argyle v Hull Matchday Thread - Sponsored by Home Flooring LTD | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle v Hull Matchday Thread - Sponsored by Home Flooring LTD

Jan 23, 2024
Going to be completely overrun in midfield. I now have a very bad feeling about today. Hope Norwich can come up with something for us.

Oct 31, 2022
The playoffs more often than not, in recent years, have gone to the form team leading into the playoffs.

Wagner will want his side to be winning just because it's the habit of winning, not to mention they need to win to be absolutely certain of securing a playoff place.

Reactions: East DevonGreen
Dec 17, 2016
We can't go gung-ho today, as it risks us going behind early and possibly shipping lots of goals, which would make it difficult to turn things round if we need a win because Brum are winning.
Better to keep it tight and try to avoid conceding a goal. This makes it easier to step it up later to go for the win, if we have to! At the same time we can't stay camped in our own half, all bodies behind the ball, as it will invite more and more pressure from Hull.
We need to play conservatively, until it's obvious we know we have to throw caution to the wind. However, that should also entail going on the attack when we get opportunities, breaking fast and supporting our strikers to nick a goal or two!
Above all I want us to play a pressing game game, not just continually retreating, giving them time on the ball to pick out passes. And if in doubt, kick the ball into touch, don't give away possession in dangerous areas...

Dec 3, 2005
Strange lineup for sure, expected Foreshaw & Galloway to start, but what do we know.
I just have this horrible thought in my head, that I cannot shift, it's that Stanfield will score the winner for Brum 😡
But it is what it is, we have it in our hands.
Try and enjoy it!!

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Interesting that Devine, for the first time, is playing in his Port Vale position.

Reactions: Lobster
Dec 17, 2016
My concern is that Norwich might not turn up, allowing Brum to get on top, thereby putting pressure on us to win our game.....
Having said that, it might inadvertently help us if we can no longer rely on merely defending to avoid a defeat, as currently we can look weak in defence and are often porous in midfield...it might actually force us to go on the attack, which can be the best form of defence!

Sep 7, 2006
London

I quite like this. The Millwall line-up was so painfully defensive, it beggared belief to be honest and I couldn't fault criticism aimed at ND / KN.

But this looks like a setup to try and get a foot on the ball, to try and outscore the opponents. Good start!

Many - including me - would start Forshaw today in an ideal world. However, given his injuries perhaps it makes sense to bring him on later for a bit of control - whether we're trying to hold on or desperately seeking a goal he brings something. He's quite different to Mayor, but can have a similar impact as a sub IMO, bit of composure.

Bigger concern is attacking subs if we end up needing a late goal - Waine doesn't score, Isaaka unproven and raw. Personally, might've preferred to start C.Wright and have Bundu ready to empty the tank for 30 mins if need be. On the other hand, Bundu's shown he poses a threat so probably deserves his start.

Devine deep-lying CM......it's a gamble isn't it, presumably forced on us due to Forshaw's injuries and Houghton's illness? I'm glad he's been put in CM ahead of Edwards though - love Joey and respect what he brings in midfield to an extent, but if you play him and Randell double pivot at this level you're simply resigning yourself to not having much of the ball from the off.

COYG 💚

Reactions: ProfessorPint

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
The lineup smacks of naivety to me. We needed an extra midfield man and pace at the back. We have neither. Philogene, Tufan and Carvalho will cause us lots of problems. Are Bundu and Whittaker going to play narrower? And are they going to track back and help the defence when in transition?

All I can say now is "Come on Norwich!"