Argyle v Cambridge match thread | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle v Cambridge match thread

Jan 20, 2004
Lundan Cabbie":2vf4r4tj said:
Argylegames":2vf4r4tj said:
Looking more and more like the playoff lottery.

Why are they a lottery? Nobody ever says that the FA Cup or even the World Cup are lotteries once they get down to the last four so what's the difference? Being negative about them puts you on the back foot from the get go.

Finish within the top three on the last day = dead cert automatic promotion, end of season. Just miss out, and its another possible two or three games where luck may, or may not, go your way. I'd put that down to a form of lottery in comparison.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Totally understandable description of the play offs as a lottery. How many times does the team finishing in the highest play off spot often by some distance, then go and get knocked out by a side which finished six or more points behind them. It happens in all the EFL leagues on a regular basis. Maybe itā€™s because itā€™s demoralising to have come so near, yet so far I donā€™t know. However, I think we will take the second or third automatic spot with Exeter losing out. Just my prediction.

If by any chance we end up in the play offs, I do think Ryan Lowe will have the side well motivated for the final push. Either way, the Greens are going up!
WAAAW :scarf:

Oct 31, 2015
oldage":6jtf6sek said:
rsp4":6jtf6sek said:
Argylegames":6jtf6sek said:

That's a ridiculous statement. Let's enjoy the run in and see what happens.
Not a ridiculous statement we just don't look like promotion candidates.

Disagree mate. Once it's mathematically impossible (we are one point off the top 3) then the statement is true.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
The test of a good team is to keep plugging away even when out of form. Of course we look like promotion candidates. We are fourth, two points behind second place and one behind third who we play in a few weeks. Supporters need to get behind the team now and not indulge in moaning and even booing which there was a slight return of yesterday. Ridiculous.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
rsp4":2tjjyusi said:
oldage":2tjjyusi said:
rsp4":2tjjyusi said:
Argylegames":2tjjyusi said:

Disagree mate. Once it's mathematically impossible (we are one point off the top 3) then the statement is true.

Who do you think does look like promotion candidates in this division oldage ?

Lundan Cabbie

āšŖļø Pasoti Visitor āšŖļø
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Mike E":3ghnt0xg said:
Lundan Cabbie":3ghnt0xg said:
Argylegames":3ghnt0xg said:

Why are they a lottery? Nobody ever says that the FA Cup or even the World Cup are lotteries once they get down to the last four so what's the difference? Being negative about them puts you on the back foot from the get go.

Finish within the top three on the last day = dead cert automatic promotion, end of season. Just miss out, and its another possible two or three games where luck may, or may not, go your way. I'd put that down to a form of lottery in comparison.

Although it was different in the Fourth Division, the play-off positions as now were not promotion positions for most of Football League history. If you finished third, fourth, fifth or sixth in Divisions Two or Three prior to 1973 that was it, you stayed where you were.

This means that play-offs are a BONUS opportunity to win promotion. If a club goes into them feeling sorry for themselves because they have just missed out on automatic promotion then they do themselves no favours.

Or maybe you just prefer if Argyle finish fourth this year, that be it, go on holiday and try again in League Two starting in August?

Jul 12, 2016
Devongreenowl":34ylysyw said:
The test of a good team is to keep plugging away even when out of form. Of course we look like promotion candidates. We are fourth, two points behind second place and one behind third who we play in a few weeks. Supporters need to get behind the team now and not indulge in moaning and even booing which there was a slight return of yesterday. Ridiculous.
We have not looked anything like promotion candidates this season. Thankfully there are a lot of teams not capable of putting away the numerous chances they create against us.

Jul 12, 2016
DartingtonPilgrim":2p4esdt0 said:
rsp4":2p4esdt0 said:
oldage":2p4esdt0 said:
rsp4":2p4esdt0 said:
Argylegames":2p4esdt0 said:

Swindon and Crewe .I haven't seen Exeter yet. And before you say we beat Crewe I still believe they were very unlucky to lose.
We are a decent side but I am not confident that we have the quality to sustain a promotion charge. Hope I'm wrong!

BHS

Oct 6, 2008
Liverpool (Skelmersdale)
Looking at the fixtures ahead next weekend will be a difficult test against Bradford away but the following Tuesday games 3rd March are more important , we play Grimsby definitely winnable. Exeter and Crewe play each other and Swindon are at home to Scunthorpe.
I am expecting a reaction from Lowe and the team expect 2 wins, be it a narrow win at Bradford and I think we will spank Grimsby by 3 clear goals, I am expecting argyle to be in the automatics hopefully 2nd after the Grimsby game.

Jul 12, 2016
BHS":12cu3195 said:
Looking at the fixtures ahead next weekend will be a difficult test against Bradford away but the following Tuesday games 3rd March are more important , we play Grimsby definitely winnable. Exeter and Crewe play each other and Swindon are at home to Scunthorpe.
I am expecting a reaction from Lowe and the team expect 2 wins, be it a narrow win at Bradford and I think we will spank Grimsby by 3 clear goals, I am expecting argyle to be in the automatics hopefully 2nd after the Grimsby game.
Hope you are right.Looking at the remaining fixtures Swindon seem to have the easier run in.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
oldage":3fu2f47f said:
DartingtonPilgrim":3fu2f47f said:
rsp4":3fu2f47f said:
oldage":3fu2f47f said:
rsp4":3fu2f47f said:
Argylegames":3fu2f47f said:

Swindon and Crewe .I haven't seen Exeter yet. And before you say we beat Crewe I still believe they were very unlucky to lose.
We are a decent side but I am not confident that we have the quality to sustain a promotion charge. Hope I'm wrong!

I'm guessing that you're view of us not looking like promotion candidates is based on watching us play throughout the season , whereas your view of Crewe and Swindon is ( again i'm guessing ) based on watching them play us , where both teams played well down here . I would suggest that there are many sets of opposing fans that have seen us play once or twice this season that do think we look like promotion candidates based on our performances against there teams .
Also Swindon and Crewe are the only teams to have won more games than us this season ( highly likely some of those wins have come when they haven't played that well or been lucky ) , they are also the only teams to have scored more goals than us . Swindon and Crewe along with Cheltenham are the only teams with a better goal difference than us . My view is that we do look like promotion candidates along with several other teams , probably all the way down to Port Vale , by the time we have played 40 games we will have a much clearer idea if we are top 3 candidates or destined for an extended season with the play offs . On current form over the last 5 games ,we are only 10th in the table , however on form over 10 , 15 and 25 games we are top , 20 games we are 2nd and 30 games we are 3rd , hopefully the last 5 games where we have picked up 8 points in a tough spell with a lot of travelling and back to back midweek games is a temporary blip and we can resume the excellent form results wise that we have displayed for most of the season , i believe we will reach 80+ points this season which should put us in and around the promotion places , hopefully top 3 .

May 8, 2011
Devongreenowl":3lz9xill said:
In short Dartington, Argyle are DEFINITELY promotion candidates!
:scarf:

We should be due to the budget. One thing the manager canā€™t claim this year is that we are over achieving.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
HC Green":2lrdgv7q said:
Devongreenowl":2lrdgv7q said:

We should be due to the budget. One thing the manager canā€™t claim this year is that we are over achieving.

How is the Crusade recruitment going HC?

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
HC Green":2mrzpnkg said:
Devongreenowl":2mrzpnkg said:

No manager should ever claim that his team is overachieving. His job is to make the team 'achieve'.
Lowe's team is 'achieving', well above some supporters hopes who expected a consolidation year.
If we go up, we won't have over achieved, we will have succeeded ! :scarf:

Overachieving is what? Getting relegated when you shouldn't be candidates to 'achieve' that!? :furious: