Argyle v Bristol City Match Thread | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle v Bristol City Match Thread

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
🎫 ST Donor 🎫
⚽️ Player Sponsor ⚽️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Apr 25, 2016
So move the victim but don't speak to the offenders. Ridiculous

Correct, like many times in past seasons away fans don’t get a talking to where has home fans who pay week in week out get a talking to etc.

It got brought to the attention of the supervisor about nothing getting said to the City fans and she said something like ‘I’m supervisor for this stand and not that stand’. But she was ok to stand over the BPE and talk to the stewards long after they stopped singing what they was.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I’ll probably get slated for this, but I don’t think there are many better “fox in the box” strikers in this division that Jephcott. He is very good as a poacher. Unfortunately he is now playing in this deeper role which takes those opportunities out of his game.

More to the point we could have Ruud Van Nistlerooy up front but if we don’t get the ball to him in good positions in the box, there isn’t much foxing to be done!

Totally agree, Jephcott is our most natural finisher - he just needs the service imo

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Someone to set it up on a plate for him you mean then he just has to tap it in.
That’s not what I said at all. Jephcott is capable of scoring a variety of types of goals imo.

Reactions: briangreen

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Jephcott could blossom if he was just allowed to be what he is - a poacher, the problem is I think he's given far too many other jobs when he should simply be in the 18 yard box ready to anticipate and get on the end things. Whilst trying to improve his all round game we're taking away from/reducing what he's best at - putting the ball in the back of the net. When he went on his initial goalscoring run I don't remember him trying to hold the ball up and trying to link play etc, I remember him being anonymous for 89 minutes but bagging one or two goals in the moments that mattered.

May 16, 2016
City are renowned for their knuckle daggers they fight each other living close to Ashton Gate have seen them in operation not the best set of supporters
They did seem a few leagues below the team they support at times. More obsessed with proving they can spell the second bit of their club name to me. Must be a thing for provincial clubs with the word 'City'.

Aug 17, 2006
Correct, like many times in past seasons away fans don’t get a talking to where has home fans who pay week in week out get a talking to etc.

It got brought to the attention of the supervisor about nothing getting said to the City fans and she said something like ‘I’m supervisor for this stand and not that stand’. But she was ok to stand over the BPE and talk to the stewards long after they stopped singing what they was.
A large amount of Argyle fans stand at away matches. Why are you concerned about away fans at Home Park?

Aug 8, 2014
Jephcott could blossom if he was just allowed to be what he is - a poacher, the problem is I think he's given far too many other jobs when he should simply be in the 18 yard box ready to anticipate and get on the end things. Whilst trying to improve his all round game we're taking away from/reducing what he's best at - putting the ball in the back of the net. When he went on his initial goalscoring run I don't remember him trying to hold the ball up and trying to link play etc, I remember him being anonymous for 89 minutes but bagging one or two goals in the moments that mattered.
This 100% why are we asking him to do other unnecessary work of baffling

Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Randell was outstanding he is ready and will play at a higher level. Azaz looks excellent and will be a threat from midfield Butcher looks tidy to me and will be a challenge to Houghton for a start. Miller was busy and provided some decent crosses can he link with DM in the same way Conor does? Mumba a reasonable back up for Edwards and Ryan Hardie looks sharp. All in all very promising

Sep 6, 2006
But if he doesn't score and is anonymous we would effectively be playing with 10 men with that plan.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Couldn't see it anywhere but what was the crowd size? I did see that there were 720 from BC.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
We really have a intelligent manager at the helm.

One of Schumacher’s quotes was.

“We looked a little bit sharper than them going forward, especially in the first half, and created some really good opportunities. We just didn’t have that ruthless edge that we would like, to make one of those chances count.”

l think people can see we look reasonably solid. And there are some nice interchanges in the middle of the park. It’s just about can we be more clinical.

After watching it, and now the highlights, you can see have a number of good shooting opportunities. Whilst we didn’t trouble their keep enough we had a number of shots, which is pleasing.

Another pleasing point was Jephcott’s performance. I thought he played this deeper role well. When City countered and Edwards was out of position he tracked back and covered. There were one or two nice exchanges too. He isn’t very physical, but he seems to have an eye for a pass. Could be interesting few months seeing how he develops in that position.

My one disappointment with today is the way we still lose concentration too easily. Similar to the Swansea match.I don’t think City troubled us too much but if you watch the highlights some of their best chances, and goal, come from us just being sloppy. In the first half Martin just heads over from a corner. Argyle try to take a quick short goal kick and lose the ball on the edge of the box. Fortunately, it hits Scarr and goes out for a corner. In the second half, Cooper comes out of the box and under no pressure plays a pass into centre circle but its not getting to Randell. Then one quick pass and there in on goal. Cooper makes up for mistake.

l know this is the way we play. We take risks. But sometimes the risks need better judgement calls on whether those risks are always worth taking in our own third of the pitch. I felt sorry for the young lad who gave it away to concede the goal. l look at where he was passing it to and think is there any benefit in passing it to another Argyle player under pressure deep in the corner. Sometimes l wish we just clear our lines.

lm enjoying the fluidity of our formation. I think it allows the wing backs to get further forward. It will mean the opposition will expose us down the sides but 3ATB will always give the opposition a opportunity to exploit the space.

I just think at the moment we still very much getting use to the new system. I like the way though it’s going to allow people like Houghton & Randell more time on the ball. Butcher gives us legs in midfield. My one concern is Lewis. I’m just not sure what type of midfielder here is. Does he like to dictate the play for example? I can’t quite figure him out.

Azaz & Miller looks like decent signings. Keep Miller fit and we have some weapon on the left. Some of his crosses are delicious. I like Law in an attacking sense. Put in a great cross second half. Got on the end of the ball in behind just before the final whistle. He just needs to develop his defensive awareness.

Mumba shows one or two glimpses, got some decent forward runs, but also l think you could see he needs more time to get use to our system,as he got caught out when in possession.

l do think this next forward signing is important in the sense we need a spearhead to this formation. Not saying the others can’t do it, but l think if we going to compete at the top end of the table we need something better than we already have upfront. Otherwise, we may look a good side on the eye but not have that attacking punch.

Last edited: