Argyle v Blackburn Rovers - the build up +Q&A | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle v Blackburn Rovers - the build up +Q&A

Argyle v Blackburn

• Win

Votes: 57 78.1%
  • Lose

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 14 19.2%

• Total voters

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Blackburn Rovers
Official website
BRFCS fans forum
Twitter
Latest news

The countdown to Blackburn Rovers

The Pasoti-sponsored special buses will be running for this game ... full details & timetable.

Friday

Fans Guide ... club website.

Steven Schumacher previews the game ... club website.

Match preview ... club website.

Conor Hazard previews the game ... Argyle TV.

Blackburn sign Bournemouth defender James Hill on a seasonlong loan.

Thursday

Blackburn manager Jon Dahl Tomasson says there are no fresh injury concerns in his squad ... BR club website.

The Greens have played Rovers 25 times at Home Park, winning 15 games, drawing six and losing four, the last game in February 2018 finished with a 2-0 win for Argyle; Ruben Lameiras and Ryan Taylor scoring the goals.
Thanks to GoS.

According to Sky Bet Argyle are slight favourites to win at 13/8 to win, a draw is ranked at 11/4 and a win for Blackburn has odds of 29/20.

Wednesday

Referee

Stephen Martin is the man in charge in only his third match of this season having shown 14 yellow cards in his previous two games.
He was last in charge of an Argyle game in April 2019 when the Greens lost 3-0 at home against Barnsley.
He will be assisted at Home Park by Mark Dwyer and Mark Russell while Daniel Middleton is on fourth official duties.

They Played For Both
Jim Beglin, Wayne Burnett, Russell Coughlin, Matt Derbyshire, Niall Ennis, Paul Gallagher, David Goodwillie, Keith Hill, Damien Johnson, Alan Judge, Lee Makel, Nicky Marker, David McNamee, Alan Miller, Andy Morrison, Donal Murphy, Anthony O'Connor, Neil Ramsbottom, Craig Skinner, Jordan Slew, Yann Songo'o, Phil Starbuck, Christian Walton, Elliott Ward. Any more?

Q&A with a Blackburn Rovers fan
Ian Herbert of 4000 Holes Podcast BRFCS has kindly agreed to a Q&A and give Pasoti members an insight into his club...

Q: What are your thoughts on the new signings (in particular Niall Ennis) and departures during the summer?
A: Over the last couple of summers, Rovers have somehow managed to allow a number of key players to leave on free transfers and consequently, struggled to replace them. The 2023 version of this story saw Brereton-Diaz, Dack & Ayala leave for “nowt” and we also sold Ash Phillips and Thomas Kaminski pre-season to raise much-needed cash. The challenge for the scouting department has therefore been to replace all those contributions without spending any actual money.
Sigurdsson has been injured and hasn’t kicked a ball yet, Tronstad started on the opening day but was hooked and hasn’t featured since, Moran joined on loan from Brighton and came on as substitute last Sunday, so it’s very early days to be forming lasting judgments.

Ennis arrived at Ewood only for JDT to question his fitness in a barbed interview that called into question the standards of Plymouth’s fitness coaches and that in turn resulted in a spicy exchange via local press outlets. He looks as if he “summered well” shall we say, but in the brief cameos we’ve seen so far (he is of course already injured) he seems to have decent technique if not the burst of pace we hoped.

Q: What are your thoughts on your manager Jon Dahl Tomasson?
A: Last season he was an alchemist, transforming a squad that many thought (myself included) was too weak to stay top half, into promotion candidates. He is ambitious, to the point where it seems that he is the most-demanding person at the club regarding aspiration. He is popular amongst the fanbase and brooks no nonsense with under-performing players which endears him to me especially.
Whether he will see the season out is a moot point as he is undoubtedly on the radar of clubs with bigger budgets than Rovers and when the international break sackings start, it will be a nervous time for all Rovers fans.

Q: As ever, money is always a talking point at football clubs – what is the current financial situation and are you happy with the current owners of Blackburn Rovers?
A: The current situation seems somewhat bleak. The owners appear to have turned off the taps and JDT’s appeals for reinforcements are falling on deaf ears largely.
Venky’s have historically pumped something like £18m p.a. into the club since their reign started (disastrously). The rationale for that is hard to understand. They don’t attend matches. They don’t communicate. They won’t countenance selling. It’s very peculiar to put it mildly.
They don’t seem to get any pleasure out of it and meanwhile Rovers appear rudderless and bereft of any meaningful leadership/executive ambition. Both the owners and the fans seem locked in a loveless relationship.
Who else is out there that could replace them ? Well that’s the £18m p.a. question…

Q: What are your expectations and predicted finishing position in the Championship?
A: It depends on what happens over the next 72 hours in the window really. We need reinforcements to bolster any hopes of repeating last season and as time marches on, our expectations lower on a daily basis.
I’m on record as predicting a struggle and 15th, but in fairness I’m a noted pessimist and my opinions should be taken with a large pinch of salt…but 15th feels achievable if nobody else comes in, let’s put it like that!

Q: Without giving too much away what style of football and formation are Blackburn likely to use against Argyle?
A: Depends who is fit. We tend to use a back four, a focal point central striker and augment that with five midfielders who interchange a lot to provide service and aim to ghost into the area to create scoring opportunities.
We are definitely a passing team. Our playing out from the back has comfortably reduced my life-expectancy by about 18 months so far. We should sell blood pressure and stress-relieving medication in the club shop.

Q: Looking from afar what are your views on Plymouth Argyle?
A: I have great fondness for Argyle. I holiday in Devon on a cricket tour every May, I have only recently finished a bottle of Plymouth Gin bought at the end of the distillery tour on my last visit and getting Plymouth into the Premier League is always one of my favourite Football Manager challenges !
Also, I am old enough to recall the 1974/75 season when Rovers & Argyle went toe-to-toe in the old Third Division resulting in a match at Ewood in February 1975 that to this day remains my all-time favourite game. Many of my generation would agree…

Lancashire Telegraph.
We have many former player/manager links and I’ve always thought that Plymouth really ought to be in that cluster of clubs challenging for a Premier League place. You seem to be heading in the right direction.

Q: Finally, do you have a prediction for the game?
A: I never tip Rovers to win in public forums such as this, as the footballing Gods do not appreciate such chutzpah in my experience !
I attend Rovers fixtures hoping rather than expecting. There was a brief period in the early to mid-1990’s when that was not the case, but that was a long time ago.
Honourable draw - 1-1.
All the best…but not on Saturday obvs!

Thanks to Ian.

Blackburn tactical anlysis whoscored.com
Strengths
Counter attacks.
Creating chances through individual skill.
Coming back from losing positions.
Weaknesses
Protecting the lead.
Stopping opponents from creating chances.
Defending against long shots.
Defending against through ball attacks.
Defending set pieces.
Aerial duels.
Avoiding fouling in dangerous areas.
Style of play
Attacking down the right.
Consistent first eleven.
Playing in their own half.
Opponents play aggressively against them.

Blackburn recent results
30/08/23: W Harrogate 0 - 8 Blackburn. Carabao Cup.
26/08/23: W Watford 0 - 1 Blackburn.
19/08/23: L Blackburn 1 - 2 Hull City.
12/08/23: D Rotherham 2 - 2 Blackburn.
08/08/23: W Walsall 3 - 4 Blackburn. Carabao Cup.
05/08/23: W Blackburn 2 - 1 WBA.

Blackburn Rovers fans forum ... match thread.

Last edited:

GU7Green

✅ Evergreen
May 10, 2022
Godalming, Surrey
"Watched most of two of their games- the Southampton 2-1 home defeat and their 3-1 home win over Huddersfield first game back. They are effectively direct going forward in an agricultural way, combative in midfield and a mistake waiting to happen at the back- Huddersfield missed three absolute sitters against them. Southampton pretty stuff created many fewer chances than they should have done (hint to Rovers- cut out that pass too many on the edge of the area and shoot once in a while).

on the rovers board, I appreciate that hardly any fans of other clubs truly know how other clubs play and base it on fairly immediate views, but thats not us at all!

Agricultural!

Jun 27, 2019
"Watched most of two of their games- the Southampton 2-1 home defeat and their 3-1 home win over Huddersfield first game back. They are effectively direct going forward in an agricultural way, combative in midfield and a mistake waiting to happen at the back- Huddersfield missed three absolute sitters against them. Southampton pretty stuff created many fewer chances than they should have done (hint to Rovers- cut out that pass too many on the edge of the area and shoot once in a while).

on the rovers board, I appreciate that hardly any fans of other clubs truly know how other clubs play and base it on fairly immediate views, but thats not us at all!

Agricultural!
Whoever wrote that is living in opposite land.

Reactions: David Doidge

Penlee

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Rovers are having a tough week of three away games in six days (Harrogate away tonight after fluking a win at Watford on Sunday). They are driving down (coach) on Friday.

Sep 3, 2011

Agricultural!
Agricultural, what does that even mean?

Sep 28, 2022
Not one of my "favourite all time games as the Rovers fan described the 5-2 match in 1975.I also was there and if my memory serves me correctly we went 2 up and Jim Furnell saved a penalty before we ended up losing 5-2.I remember so many Argyle fans went and as a result of various incidents the town was renamed "Greenburn" in a local paper. We ended up not winning the title that season and obviously the loss was significant. Mind you we had previously beaten Rovers at home 2-1 in front of 28000 + at Home Park. Mariner and Rafferty days, fantastic.

May 19, 2023
i think we win this game comfortably. They would of had 3 long journeys in 6 days and by the way we are playing i think we finally get some luck hitting the back of the net. We start fast and i dont think they can handle us! (just need to finish strong).

Prediction - 4-1 (Mumba, Randell, Hardie x2)

Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
The Venkys must be the strangest football club owners ever, happy to stump up nearly ÂŁ400k a month without any obvious benefits for themselves.

A recent episode of the of price of Football podcast intimated that they brought Rovers without realising there was the chance of relegation from the Premier league.
The club have lived well beyond their means ever since but now seem to be cutting back as it’s not as easy to get money out of India.

Crazy levels of Debt (owed primarily to the owners it seems ) means the Venkys are highly unlikely to see most of that money again even if they sell.

Feb 13, 2021
Not one of my "favourite all time games as the Rovers fan described the 5-2 match in 1975.I also was there and if my memory serves me correctly we went 2 up and Jim Furnell saved a penalty before we ended up losing 5-2.I remember so many Argyle fans went and as a result of various incidents the town was renamed "Greenburn" in a local paper. We ended up not winning the title that season and obviously the loss was significant. Mind you we had previously beaten Rovers at home 2-1 in front of 28000 + at Home Park. Mariner and Rafferty days, fantastic.
Recall these two matches vividly. It was a long journey back to London with the Feb 74 fuxture with a horrible wet journey back to London with the result behind us. I had enjoyed the Board Room hospitality before the match and at HT, but I was not to be seen there at the final whistle.

Sep 6, 2006
i think we win this game comfortably. They would of had 3 long journeys in 6 days and by the way we are playing i think we finally get some luck hitting the back of the net. We start fast and i dont think they can handle us! (just need to finish strong).

Prediction - 4-1 (Mumba, Randell, Hardie x2)
Blackburn to Harrogate is hardly a long journey!