Argyle - many fans second favourite team. Whose yours? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle - many fans second favourite team. Whose yours?

I moved here 40 years ago in my late 30s. Over the previous twenty years I formed mild affections for my local teams with each house move; so Luton, Ipswich, Reading and Aldershot. However over that period I always looked out for the Argyle result, despite having absolutely no connection with the West Country. The two reasons were their above average home attendances (I’m a bit of a statto), and the numbers and fervour of the away support I witnessed on several occasions. I’m convinced I wasn’t alone in that interest, and this is regularly proved when I watch Argyle away games sitting amongst home supporters, as I hate watching from behind a goal. I can’t count the number of times I’ve had conversations with the local natives (one of the benefits of being elderly) where a lot of other fans tell me they like Argyle, without explaining why. Perhaps it’s the uniqueness of the green, our distant location, or simply the fact that people like the West Country. However I’m convinced it’s a fact.

My own second favourites are Ipswich. Watched them several times each season during the Robson era, including the arrival of Mariner, and always think of them as a proper club, like Argyle.

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
Newcastle.....

Back in the day, someone asked me who I support and when I said Argyle, he said no, and asked who my Premiership team is. Said I didn't have one, support my local team etc. So, in a bid to bring the conversation to a close, chose the most unlocal team....

Reactions: smudja
Oct 10, 2018
Hearts, in Scotland, simply cause they tried to.play attacking football and along with Aberdeen the only team who had a chance of competing against the Glasgow giants.

Secondly I loved there burgundy kit, no- one else plays in that style.

Oct 10, 2018
Plus the atmosphere at Hearts Tynecastle is always good, in tight tittle grounds, rather than cavernous stadiums lacking in atmosphere.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Fulham. Grandad supported them. Craven Cottage is also just a brilliant place to watch football, I make a couple of games a season. It also helps that Argyle don’t really have any history with Fulham, in fact the last time we played them I was 11 months old.

Mexijan1

🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽
✅ Evergreen
Jul 17, 2023
Leon in Mexico play in green and I used to live in earshot of the stadium. In the UK always had a soft spot for the monkey hangers Hartlepool Utd due to family and friends and their final away day fancy dress each season is class too.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
Dunfermline Athletic. I used to go to East End Park each and every Saturday to watch the 1st Team or Reserves in their respective leagues when I lived up there between 1970-73. Allows followed their results since.

Jul 16, 2023
Arminia Bielefeld, I frequented the Schuco Arena when I served in Germany and have followed them ever since. Bundesliga tickets are reasonable in price, and the atmosphere is excellent in the home end (not a library like the EPL). And the bratties and beer are almost as good as a dewdneys and a pint of tribute 😊

Reactions: Bernie Bernbaum

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
Argyle under 18s.

In all seriousness, probably Torquay United.

Apr 16, 2016
From the age of 7 I've wondered who my second team is - Argyle or Manchester United. There's never been a clash apart from the FA Cup when I was 10, around 1974. I supported Argyle at Old Trafford that day. I guess , when all is said and done local allegiance just trumped. Definitely close to polygamy , though, as Unseen Green intimated.
Can you have equal 1st and then Brentford as second, due to spousal influence?