Anyone remember Soft Machine? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Anyone remember Soft Machine?

Sorry this is an oldies thread again, but went to a Soft Machine gig Sunday evening at Exeter Phoenix. Only original member left is John Etherington, still one of the UK’s most gifted guitarists. In the 70s they seemed to me prog.rock borderline jazz, now far more jazz oriented, and they were brilliant. Anyone else still listening to them, or am I gloriously alone in a world of old farts?

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
I've certainly listened to all of Soft Machine's albums. I liked their early stuff when Robert Wyatt was with them, but then they were more a proper prog group: he left when the band started drifting towards more a jazz outfit, and I don't blame him.

Don't get me wrong, I like some jazz-rock or crossover, but Soft Machine went tooo far down the jazz rabbit-hole for my liking.

Reactions: Belfast Green
Apr 22, 2019
Great band and still very influential too. Excellent musicians who, if I recall correctly, didn’t waste time mucking about deciding on album titles!

Reactions: Quinny

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
... or am I gloriously alone in a world of old farts?

This just reminded me of the time my best mate and I went to see a Stackridge gig in South Petherton about 14/15 years ago. At this point we were both in our (very) late 30's, but were both Stackridge fans and this was an opportunity to see the classic line-up from their very early days. But we were also, by far, the youngest people in the audience: everyone else were easily well into their 60s :D

Still, when I get to see Fairport Convention (and I do annually when they're in Exeter) I'm not quite the youngest there...

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
I remember them well, although I haven't listened to any of their stuff in decades.

The only prog rock I seriously got into was Peter Gabriel-era Genesis. When he left, as far as I was concerned all their character and uniqueness went with him, and we were left with the bleedin' Phil Collins Band.

Then Collins left and that guy from Stiltskin took over as the "voice" of Genesis...

olive green

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 3, 2004
Liverpool
I saw Genesis when they were support band for Lindisfarne in the Guildhall. Peter Gabriel was rather good; they went downhill when he went. Have been listening to PG3: Melt this week, which brings back other memories - some brilliant musicians guesting on it, including one of my favourite, Robert Fripp, who I saw last month.

Reactions: Hexagon9
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Speaking of Robert Fripp and prog rock: if memory serves, my first 'big, proper' gig was King Crimson at the Guildhall in 1971, maybe.

I think I may have told this story on here before, but in Sept/Oct 1973 I was in the Liverpool Empire box office buying a Genesis ticket for the show that night, and there was someone else in the quite small space with me: someone with longish dark hair shaved up the middle at the front. Our eyes met. Gabriel wannabe, thought I - until I got down the road and realised: it actually was Peter Gabriel! What must he have thought? He saw me buying a Genesis ticket, only to have me then more or less look right through him. Duh!

Reactions: olive green

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Big prog fan here. Yes, remember Soft Machine of course, but never quite 'got' them, sadly. Funny, this talk of jazz influences. As a genre, I really dislike jazz, but it has been a big influence on many bands that I love, Van der Graaf, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, etc. Strange, but then there is Blues and Classical influences as well.
Never got into Genesis or Yes, commercial prog, as I call it.
I often think I should move on and 'modernise', but keep getting drawn back to it. Do Porcupine Tree, Oak and Gojira count as modern? 😂

Apr 22, 2019
I saw Genesis when they were support band for Lindisfarne in the Guildhall. Peter Gabriel was rather good; they went downhill when he went. Have been listening to PG3: Melt this week, which brings back other memories - some brilliant musicians guesting on it, including one of my favourite, Robert Fripp, who I saw last month.
Robert Fripp is a superb guitarist IMHO. Does he live somewhere in the SW these days?

Mind you most members of King Crimson were pretty talented musicians. He still ended up sacking them though!

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Fripp lived for a long time in Dorset with his wife Toyah Wilcox.

Saw KC twice in recent years, once here in Milano and a brilliant night at The Arena, Verona.

olive green

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 3, 2004
Liverpool
Robert Fripp is a superb guitarist IMHO. Does he live somewhere in the SW these days?

Mind you most members of King Crimson were pretty talented musicians. He still ended up sacking them though!
I saw him with Toyah Wilcox in Liverpool last month. Great night out. Excellent backing band - I wonder if they have all been sacked yet! I think they now live in Wiltshire and live on Sunday Lunches.

BDW

Apr 15, 2023
Toyah lives in Pershore Worcestershire we had an office there and used to bump into her occasionally. Robert Fripp, when in this country, lives there with her.