Any jazz fans? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Any jazz fans?

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Funnily enough Quinny you’ve just beaten me to a post suggesting that if you want to get into jazz, try Kind of Blue. With several jazz hating friends I’ve insisted they play it two or three times until it clicks, and now they love it. Alternatively, try two current bands achieving sell-outs all over Europe, Mammal Hands and the Matthew Halsall quintet. My wife is a life-long jazz hater, but now plays them regularly.

I'll give Mammal Hands and the Matthew Halsall Quintet a spin on Spotify!

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I have now, still awful.

Each to their own though.
Hang on... how have you listened to Dixie Dilemma? (If that's what you meant). We only ever did one broadcast/recording and that was playing live from Porthmadog Quay on the Radio Wales morning show. I suspect I have the only copy. Mind you, that morning we didn't play one of our best numbers and one of the two that I sang on... 'My Girl's Pussy'... we judged that it was not the best song for the likely audience on that occasion!

• Haha
Reactions: GreatYarmouthGreen
Aug 13, 2009
I find certain Jazz genres extremely difficult to get into, particularly free jazz, and I've tried Miles Davis etc.
I am partial to Jazz when played on a piano and it has a melody to it, especially Ray Charles who could make the phone book sound soulful with his voice.
Always willing to give it a go though so will try some of the recommendations on this thread but with no great expectations.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Hang on... how have you listened to Dixie Dilemma? (If that's what you meant). We only ever did one broadcast/recording and that was playing live from Porthmadog Quay on the Radio Wales morning show. I suspect I have the only copy. Mind you, that morning we didn't play one of our best numbers and one of the two that I sang on... 'My Girl's Pussy'... we judged that it was not the best song for the likely audience on that occasion!
I Googled Dixie Dilemma Doc. Then I listened to it. :ROFLMAO:

Oops hang on, it was Dixie's Dilemma. :rolleyes:

Mar 1, 2014
Ilfracombe, Devon
Just listened to Mammal Hands - Captured Spirits..........never again!
On the contrary, I've not heard of the band before, but the little I've heard in the last half an hour has been beautiful! I'm a big Jazz fan in general, but Miles Davis' 'Kind of Blue' and Dave Brubeck's 'Time Out' are surely albums that even the most ardent Jazz-hater can appreciate.

Butternubs

Jam First
Nov 4, 2021
Plymouth
Like a bit of Idris Muhammed, Ryo Fukio, Theolonious Monk, Chet Baker, Alice Coltrane, Billie Holiday, John Zorn, Masaru Imada Trio, Fela Kuti, Jiro Inagaki & His Soul Media. Just call me Howard Moon.

Attachments

• ze9bo-4266691173.jpg
    ze9bo-4266691173.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 2

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
I remember one day at the end of school (DHSB 1960's), I went to the school hall to see an impromptu teatime concert by the Mike Westbrook Band. I know he studied in Plymouth and maybe his band was playing that night (Quay Club?) but I don't know what the school link was.

Feb 28, 2022
I remember one day at the end of school (DHSB 1960's), I went to the school hall to see an impromptu teatime concert by the Mike Westbrook Band. I know he studied in Plymouth and maybe his band was playing that night (Quay Club?) but I don't know what the school link was.
John Surman, who is a world famous musician went to DHS then music college in London, played in Wetsbrook's bands. Westbrook went to Plyouth Art College and as far as I know is still playing as is John Surman. John Surman left DHS when I started in 1961.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
John Surman, who is a world famous musician went to DHS then music college in London, played in Wetsbrook's bands. Westbrook went to Plyouth Art College and as far as I know is still playing as is John Surman. John Surman left DHS when I started in 1961.
Yes there was definitely a Westbrook link so it must have been John Surman too. I'm sure they were gigging in town (Quay Club?) and this was a visit to the old school. I started in 1962. Thanks I'my!