Al Nassr could be playing Champions League football | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Al Nassr could be playing Champions League football

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Still can't see it happening. They spent so much time fighting the breakaway "superleague" a few seasons ago that it would be madness to try and invite the richest clubs from different footballing federations in which will only result in renewed interest (by the richest clubs and owners) in such a league.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Still can't see it happening. They spent so much time fighting the breakaway "superleague" a few seasons ago that it would be madness to try and invite the richest clubs from different footballing federations in which will only result in renewed interest (by the richest clubs and owners) in such a league.

I certainly hope you're right. I just wonder if this is an attempt by UEFA to ward off a breakaway league by creating one by stealth.

The new Champions League format is basically a superleague anyway, I'm sure the broadcasters would rather have one of Saudi's biggest clubs than a historic but less marketable club from Eastern Europe, for instance.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
I certainly hope you're right. I just wonder if this is an attempt by UEFA to ward off a breakaway league by creating one by stealth.

The new Champions League format is basically a superleague anyway, I'm sure the broadcasters would rather have one of Saudi's biggest clubs than a historic but less marketable club from Eastern Europe, for instance.

It could only be possible if Saudi Arabia were to move from the AFC to UEFA as, under current rules, entry to our Champions League (and other European club competitions) is only open to UEFA affiliated leagues/clubs. I know the pool of the Champions League will be increased, but the entire point was clubs got into that competition based on where they finished in their league, and how many slots were allocated to them based on their country's coefficient score. I'm sure more than one of the smaller leagues (cough Scotland cough) might take exception to a Saudi club getting an invite because (a) that club has lots of dosh and (b) some of the star players missing from the competition.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Reactions: Quinny
Oct 10, 2018

Cheltnum Green

✅ Evergreen
♣️ Shire Greens
Sep 15, 2021
TBH, I don’t really care. I haven’t watched a European club game since it stopped being shown free to air.
I much preferred it back in the good old days when only the champion of the country actually competed in the ‘Champions’ League. Everyone one else competed in the lesser competitions including the cup winners cup.
I don’t watch the premiersh*te either.
I’m happy just watching Argyle, even if I have to “travel” to Belgium or some such outpost (those who know, know😁) to watch it.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
UEFA= Greed & money making
UEFA are making the beautiful game a laughing stock
Shameful

Sep 13, 2003
Yes. I

Yes, Infantile.
If you are referring to Infantino, he is the head of Fifa...not Uefa.
It's hilarious that the media made Blatter to be the sole bad guy of the FIFA and all the corruption was down to him. The entire organisation from head to toe is corrupt. When fans (like me) continue to pay the extortionate prices and line the fat cats pockets to watch tournaments abroad, then the circus will continue to roll on.