A special Argyle moment (Eric Doughty) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

A special Argyle moment (Eric Doughty)

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I believe he also had either a fruit and veg. shop or newsagents in Calling ton after his playing days ended?
Indeed he did. Unfortunately, by the time I found him his memory had gone the way of many former players. He had a reputation for being a great raconteur.

Reactions: kernow19
Feb 26, 2022
Great Story. The tale of how the crutches returned to old Trafford, would certainly not happen today - More than my jobs worth Guv / cheaper to throw them away !! We called Wilf Carter ` Bang `em in Wilf` - could do with him now - how much would he be worth today ? Thanks MM

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Have just been corrected by my brother - it was number 25. Before Eric in that house was Pat Jones, and he reckons that Jack Chisholm lived at Wilf Carter's, with probably someone else in between.
Eric was the direct replacement for Pat on the field. I often think about something Peter Anderson said to me. I had asked him who was the most difficult full back he had ever faced. He said that Don Howe and Alf Ramsey were the cleverest, the dirtiest was Jimmy Langley of Fulham but the scariest of all was Pat Jones. He added that they used to have a weekly practice match and it was normally first team forwards against the first team defence. He smiled as he told me: "These matches would often put me in direct opposition to Pat Jones. Old Pat did not differentiate between practice matches and real ones. He only knew one way to play. He was in your face the whole time - if you ever got past him he was there again snapping at your heels. Whatever the level, in Pat's world every game was a contest to be won. He was a hard man but a lovely bloke, one who gave Argyle fantastic service".
Listening to Argyle players who were at the club in 1958, to a man they felt Eric that looked to be a fine player during pre-season. They believed that although his approach looked more cultured than Pat's the number 3 shirt was about to get another permanent occupant.

Last edited:

Bovey Green lady

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
We had an Eric Davis who went SWL with Falmouth. And I think there was a chap called Eric Bryant who I know played for Bideford. Famous for scoring the Yeovil goal that knocked Sunderland out of the FA Cup. Both pre-dated Doughty. The only other Eric I can recall was later, Burgess. He went back to the South East, Wealdstone perhaps? I recall IrishmanTony McShane was at Liskeard at the end of his career.
I think Eric Burgess joined Colchester when he left us. He and Pat Dunne were friendly, if I remember rightly.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I think Eric Burgess joined Colchester when he left us. He and Pat Dunne were friendly, if I remember rightly.
It is not often you are wrong but you are right again!! It was after Colchester that he went to Wealdstone. From the records I have it looks as if after he was released by Argyle he spent half a season with Plymouth City, a non League side bankrolled by builder/night club owner Johnny Weight. He did not sign for Colchester until the December after he was released by Argyle at the end of June.

Reactions: kimbo

Bernie Bernbaum

Pasoti Quiz Champions
May 29, 2015
Fascinating about the 'argyle' houses. Does anyone know of any others from back then? I know Jack Leslie lived in Glendower Road. Not sure which number though.

Reactions: memory man
Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
We had an Eric Davis who went SWL with Falmouth. And I think there was a chap called Eric Bryant who I know played for Bideford. Famous for scoring the Yeovil goal that knocked Sunderland out of the FA Cup. Both pre-dated Doughty. The only other Eric I can recall was later, Burgess. He went back to the South East, Wealdstone perhaps? I recall IrishmanTony McShane was at Liskeard at the end of his career.
Eric Burgess played 15 times for Argyle before going to Plymouth City, then Colchester. Released after 16 months to Wealdstone. Don't think he played beyond his late twenties.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Fascinating about the 'argyle' houses. Does anyone know of any others from back then? I know Jack Leslie lived in Glendower Road. Not sure which number though.
Off the top of my head - 211 Bridwell Road. 14 Margaret Park. 40 or 42 or 42 Meredith Road. At least one down behind the Golden Hind. 123 Churchway. One in Bartholomew Road, 2 in Langhill Road (1 and 25). The house next yo what was West Park Police station was another. In 1963 we signed Peter McParland from Wolves. He had been a big star with Villa and his goals took Northern Ireland to the 1958 WC QF. He became our first ever £40 a week player and our girls ever to get more than a 12 month contract (18 months). He wasn't having any semi in St Budeaux or terrace in Peverell. So the club bought a detached Wright and Lang bungalow in Reservoir Road.
The idea of the houses was linked to the days of the maximum wage. Clubs would charge a small rent thereby making the players wages go further.

Bovey Green lady

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
It is not often you are wrong but you are right again!! It was after Colchester that he went to Wealdstone. From the records I have it looks as if after he was released by Argyle he spent half a season with Plymouth City, a non League side bankrolled by builder/night club owner Johnny Weight. He did not sign for Colchester until the December after he was released by Argyle at the end of June.
I had completely forgotten Johnny Weight. He owned a nightclub at West Hoe at one time(which later became "Mr Harry's Gay bar, owned by the lovey Harry Greenslade)Both Eric and Mike Everitt frequented it ----before it was Mr Harry's, I should add!:ROFLMAO:

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
Paddy Ratcliffe lived in one in Pennycross Park Road near to the garage whilst Les Major lived in one in Ham Drive adjoining the Speedway Stadium car park.

Reactions: memory man

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
I had completely forgotten Johnny Weight. He owned a nightclub at West Hoe at one time(which later became "Mr Harry's Gay bar, owned by the lovey Harry Greenslade)Both Eric and Mike Everitt frequented it ----before it was Mr Harry's, I should add!:ROFLMAO:
I think Johnny Weight was an ex Policeman who also owned the Pussycat Club. When he owned Plymouth City they played their home games at Pennycross Stadium and I recall watching Eric Burgess and Mike Everett play for them there in what I think was the early days of the Plymouth Sunday League. Incidentally when A C Ballard was involved with Argyle he had plans to develop Pennycross Stadium and move Argyle there. This was all pre WW2.

Reactions: Bovey Green lady

greenteign

Cream First
🎫 ST Donor 🎫
✅ Evergreen
♣️ Teign Valley Greens
Dec 27, 2016
Off the top of my head - 211 Bridwell Road. 14 Margaret Park. 40 or 42 or 42 Meredith Road. At least one down behind the Golden Hind. 123 Churchway. One in Bartholomew Road, 2 in Langhill Road (1 and 25). The house next yo what was West Park Police station was another. In 1963 we signed Peter McParland from Wolves. He had been a big star with Villa and his goals took Northern Ireland to the 1958 WC QF. He became our first ever £40 a week player and our girls ever to get more than a 12 month contract (18 months). He wasn't having any semi in St Budeaux or terrace in Peverell. So the club bought a detached Wright and Lang bungalow in Reservoir Road.
The idea of the houses was linked to the days of the maximum wage. Clubs would charge a small rent thereby making the players wages go further.
Your knowledge is quite amazing MM - thanks so much for posting - fascinating stuff.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Your knowledge is quite amazing MM - thanks so much for posting - fascinating stuff.
There was a supporter called Colin Parsons (RIP) who had the most amazing memorabilia collection. I connected him and Peter Skinnard who had a chest of drawers crammed full of fascinating stuff. The two men agreed on £10k, including the chest of drawers. I knew that in that chest of drawers was the one programme that Colin needed to complete his collection of every first team programme since Argyle entered the Football League. In the interest of fairness I did not tell either man about that programme. But also in there were other documents that had never been seen in decades if ever. Colin lent me (long term) all the Board meeting minutes from 1958 to 1963. For me it was a treasure trove. Up till then I was dependent on the Heralds and Independents in the library. They were brilliant but these minutes were a step above. I was amazed at the minutae of the detail they went into including details of house repairs, which is how I learned where they were. There was stuff in them that I would never publish but those things help me understand other things. Thank you for your interest.

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
There was a supporter called Colin Parsons (RIP) who had the most amazing memorabilia collection. I connected him and Peter Skinnard who had a chest of drawers crammed full of fascinating stuff. The two men agreed on £10k, including the chest of drawers. I knew that in that chest of drawers was the one programme that Colin needed to complete his collection of every first team programme since Argyle entered the Football League. In the interest of fairness I did not tell either man about that programme. But also in there were other documents that had never been seen in decades if ever. Colin lent me (long term) all the Board meeting minutes from 1958 to 1963. For me it was a treasure trove. Up till then I was dependent on the Heralds and Independents in the library. They were brilliant but these minutes were a step above. I was amazed at the minutae of the detail they went into including details of house repairs, which is how I learned where they were. There was stuff in them that I would never publish but those things help me understand other things. Thank you for your interest.
I should imagine that those Board Meeting Minutes are fascinating covering a very interesting and relatively successful period in Argyle’s history. It would have included the Ron Blindell era. A very different man from our current Chairman !!