A good weekend for Sheffield | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

A good weekend for Sheffield

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Wednesday's owner statement

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
May 5, 2020
Ouch, £2M a month....Will end in more tears...

Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
I can totally understand him getting fed up with the abuse he’s getting, especially if he’s writing a cheque for £2m every month just to keep the show on the road.

However how many of the problems at Wednesday are down to him?

He‘s never run the club with any hint of sustainability preferring to throw money around on big transfers and ridiculous salaries chasing the premier league dream.
He earn’t the club a points deduction for breaking the championships profit and sustainability rules by losing a reported £18m more than the £39m allowed over a three year period😳.

He sold Hillsborough to himself for £60m in a desperate attempt to cook the books and avoid the inevitable EFL sanctions.
ironically the points that were deducted were enough to relegate them.

Their league 1 budget was nearly 3 times ours as he continued to pay ridiculous wages in the third tier with Bannon on £21k a week and another 6/7 on over £10 k a week.
instead of kicking on and using the momentum from the Wembley win he fell out with Moore and allowed him to leave and made Wednesday the most expensive club to watch in the Championship.

Compare all of this against the Halletts approach and see who’s in the better shape.

babbelquack

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Apr 9, 2023
I can totally understand him getting fed up with the abuse he’s getting, especially if he’s writing a cheque for £2m every month just to keep the show on the road.

However how many of the problems at Wednesday are down to him?

He‘s never run the club with any hint of sustainability preferring to throw money around on big transfers and ridiculous salaries chasing the premier league dream.
He earn’t the club a points deduction for breaking the championships profit and sustainability rules by losing a reported £18m more than the £39m allowed over a three year period😳.

He sold Hillsborough to himself for £60m in a desperate attempt to cook the books and avoid the inevitable EFL sanctions.
ironically the points that were deducted were enough to relegate them.

Their league 1 budget was nearly 3 times ours as he continued to pay ridiculous wages in the third tier with Bannon on £21k a week and another 6/7 on over £10 k a week.
instead of kicking on and using the momentum from the Wembley win he fell out with Moore and allowed him to leave and made Wednesday the most expensive club to watch in the Championship.

Compare all of this against the Halletts approach and see who’s in the better shape.
I would also take the £2m a month statement with a pinch of salt, that's not reflected in the last set of accounts.

He has failed to appoint the right people to run the club ie DOF or CEO and anybody that challenges him seems to fall by the wayside. He likes to give out criticism but doesn't like it back.

In the middle of all this is his "trusted" advisor Amadeu Paixao who seems to be pulling the strings behind the scenes.

When Darren Moore left we were told that the transfer target list is still the list regardless, I'd be amazed if DM was interested in signing some of the players we have, it's all just smoke and mirrors.

Reactions: Andy in Peverell
Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
its staggering where you find yourselves at the moment.

He‘s sucked all the momentum out of the Wembley win in eerily similar way that Dan McCauley did at Argyle With Warnocks play off win and created drama where none existed.

From a selfish, Argyle point of view, I’d love to see you stay down there as it’s one less team we have to finish above.

As a football fan it’s crazy how an intelligent, wealthy, successful businessman can get in so wrong for so long and effectively unite and alienate the fans ( his customers from a business sense) against him.

The more I think about it the more this parallels Dans ending at Argyle.
spent more than any other owner we had but undid most of his work by falling out with everyone from Shilton and Warnock to players and fans and leading us to relegation.
(I say most of his work as at least he started the horse shoe )

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Wendies down 3-0 at HT home to Sunderland

Oct 31, 2022
I'm not looking to spark a debate here about who is right or wrong, but I heard recently that Chansiri is believed to have spent around £160m in his time as owner/chairman and in his recent statement suggests that he injects £2m EVERY MONTH into the club to keep it running. You can understand his frustration, as he wrongly absolves himself of responsibility of his terrible decisions and stewardship, when the fans are critical of him. The club has been a total financial nose-bleed for him. The only way he could remotely see that money ever again would be if Sheff Wed were in the prem, looking towards the top 7.

I don't think some people quite realise the gravity of the fact they weren't financially sustainable measured against Championship income when they were in league one!

I agree they look nailed on for relegation, but I think relegation might be the least of their concerns. If running costs aren't managed as the owner withdraws funding then they're heading for administration.

Put yourself in his shoes. You're (if you're insanely lucky and almost impossibly) 4 seasons away from the premier league - which would be the only way to sell the club and make even a slight dent in your £160m loss. You've got the choice now to inject £2m a month (~£96m over 4 seasons), whilst repeatedly being criticized for getting everything wrong (which you are). £160m down, another £100m required on a total pipe dream...

Or just not invest a penny and let the club collapse, pending a sale.

He will have to sell the club. But he won't get anywhere near enough to dent £160m. Not to mention, it's a financial nose-bleed currently, so there's not going to be a long list of buyers with offers even close to a respectable figure. This is also reflected in his statement.

I don't mind watching them lose every week, but this must be bloody awful for everybody involved.

Some of these figures could ultimately be wrong, of course, but my main point is this is very bleak and relegation isn't all that should be feared.

Last edited:

babbelquack

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Apr 9, 2023
its staggering where you find yourselves at the moment.

He‘s sucked all the momentum out of the Wembley win in eerily similar way that Dan McCauley did at Argyle With Warnocks play off win and created drama where none existed.

From a selfish, Argyle point of view, I’d love to see you stay down there as it’s one less team we have to finish above.

As a football fan it’s crazy how an intelligent, wealthy, successful businessman can get in so wrong for so long and effectively unite and alienate the fans ( his customers from a business sense) against him.

The more I think about it the more this parallels Dans ending at Argyle.
spent more than any other owner we had but undid most of his work by falling out with everyone from Shilton and Warnock to players and fans and leading us to relegation.
(I say most of his work as at least he started the horse shoe )
Is he though?

Google Dejhpon Chansiri and all links point to TUF (Thai Union Group) which is the the family business. The business that he is not a part of and is not listed being part of either:

When we were taken over in 2015 there was TUF images everywhere, but within a matter of weeks that disappeared and it was all about Chansiri.

It feels like the family give him money so he can play at being in charge and stay away from the family jewels