7500 crowd? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

7500 crowd?

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":3hup9lvd said:
Emu":3hup9lvd said:
On the subject of attendances, a figure should be given which shows how many people actually walked through the turnstiles.

Why? It would only embarrass the club if it differed greatly from the number of tickets issued/sold.
Nonsense, that was always the case until recent seasons anyway, and are you are implying that up until recent seasons clubs were embarassed to announce their attendances? I think it is more embarassing for a club to announce a full house when there are clearly thousands of empty seats in the stadium as at the Emirates on occasions. On a lesser scale Argyle can at times declare an "attendance" of 9,000 for example when against less attractive opposition maybe a 1,000 of those are on holiday, have other committments, are sick or can't be arsed if the weather is bad. By all means for accounting purposes take the number of tickets sold including season tickets but what is wrong with publicly declaring the actual number in attendance as was the case for 100 years or more? There were isolated cases of course when more people attended than were announced. Anyone at the Bristol City promotion clincher will know the attendance was many thousands higher than declared.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
So what we're really saying is, it would be nice to know how many were actually there. Do clubs actually know though? What figure should they announce? The number of tickets actuated? Well that wouldn't be totally accurate. There are still many ways that you can enter a stadium by just showing your ticket. Maybe the count through the turnstiles? Is that accurate? Not every access point has a turnstile.

Who should they count? If a match attracts greater media attention, should those attending on business be included? How about the directors box guests from the opposition? The youth team watching from the stand?

There are so many variables from club to club to produce a figure that is pretty meaningless to the clubs themselves. Total ticket sales is an across the board, easy to compile and for the clubs, a meaningful total.

The word "attendance" is the real problem because it is a traditional term that comes from a time when logistics were different.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":ncyyumh2 said:
So what we're really saying is, it would be nice to know how many were actually there. Do clubs actually know though? What figure should they announce? The number of tickets actuated? Well that wouldn't be totally accurate. There are still many ways that you can enter a stadium by just showing your ticket. Maybe the count through the turnstiles? Is that accurate? Not every access point has a turnstile.

Who should they count? If a match attracts greater media attention, should those attending on business be included? How about the directors box guests from the opposition? The youth team watching from the stand?

There are so many variables from club to club to produce a figure that is pretty meaningless to the clubs themselves. Total ticket sales is an across the board, easy to compile and for the clubs, a meaningful total.

The word "attendance" is the real problem because it is a traditional term that comes from a time when logistics were different.
All those scenarios you've posed would surely result in the official attendance being lower than how many people were actually there.

So how do you think they've got a figure of 7500 when there were barely 5000 there?

Ade the Green's suggestion seems the most plausible to me.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Dan Ellard":9c80r8gu said:
Lundan Cabbie":9c80r8gu said:

All those scenarios you've posed would surely result in the official attendance being lower than how many people were actually there.

So how do you think they've got a figure of 7500 when there were barely 5000 there?

5,000 is a guess though. Are you saying you'd rather clubs did just that?

Jan 6, 2004
Cabbie - nobody who went would say there was more than 5000 there. My guess would actually have been around 4000 but as it was a guess I added 1000. I take it you didn’t go

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Green_Flash":2lzj9vfv said:
Cabbie - nobody who went would say there was more than 5000 there. My guess would actually have been around 4000 but as it was a guess I added 1000. I take it you didn’t go

Of course I wasn't there. I just don't get all the fuss. Doncaster say they sold 7,500 tickets but it appears that not that many were used.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Lundan Cabbie":1kjebvda said:

Now you're just being pedantic LC. :)

Jerryatricjanner has got it spot on in my view.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":16aoixps said:
Dan Ellard":16aoixps said:
Lundan Cabbie":16aoixps said:

5,000 is a guess though. Are you saying you'd rather clubs did just that?
If you'd like to answer the question I posed first, then I'll happily answer yours thanks.

Apr 9, 2011
All this business of counting in season ticket holders in the crowd is rubbish, just falsely inflates the crowd, we are just as bad, you know full well sometimes the crowd is nowhere near what they announce.This is another bye product of so called "modern" football

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Looking at Donny’s Attendances this season but not around Christmas (as these tend to be inflated) their attendances seem to show the high 7000s or low 8000s for every game. However against Scunthorpe in the FA cup the attendance was only 5250. The same fixture in League 1 showed over 9000 in attendance.

Now, the only difference being as I can see it is that Doncaster and Scunthorpe share the profits more evenly for FA cup games so in this case a lower turn out does not affect their budget.

Mmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!

Nov 29, 2011
Plymouth
According to the two attendances there was more people there yesterday than there was for our much bigger match back in March. That’s with 300 less Argyle fans as well. No chance!

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
It should also be noted that these 7*** or 8*** crowds have allowed Donny to sign Whiteman from Sheffield United for a six figure transfer.

I can’t remember who questioned it but that could be where some of the £1m extra revenue went. Just saying like.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Attendance no longer means the number of people in attendance. It used to but it doesn't anymore. I get the frustration in not knowing exactly how many were there but it's not a figure that is important enough to clubs, their accountants or the taxman for it to be determined.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Lundan Cabbie":q9vvenft said:
Attendance no longer means the number of people in attendance. It used to but it doesn't anymore. I get the frustration in not knowing exactly how many were there but it's not a figure that is important enough to clubs, their accountants or the taxman for it to be determined.

It bloody does in league 1.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Thought I'd check out the dictionary definition of the word attendance ;-)

The action or state of going regularly to or being present at a place or event.

More the number of people present at a particular place or event.